Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills
 Downsizing & Simplifying
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Downsizing & Simplifying Next Topic
Page: of 2

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  06:04:05 AM  Show Profile
Folks I'm having a mid-life crisis, not in a bad way, in a good way (I think!) I've been going through some changes and with recent surgery I've been home for a few days & time to do some serious life-changing thinking (Oh brother, my poor DH!) It has dawned on me during my usual busy-ness & hectic lifestyle I literally don't have time to think let alone read, pursue any hobbies, or just enjoy life. Like being on autopilot just go through the motions working at a job I can"t stand to pay for crap I don't need. Huge mortgage payment on a big house, nice new car costing a small fortune in monthly payments. I find myself "therapy shopping" trying to buy happiness because I'm miserable. Seriously not feeling sorry for myself & don't expect anyone else to, I'm happy to finally wake up realize what needs to be done, and raring to go after it (after recoup from surgery). Some people are forced to make these changes because of the economy. I'm considering taking some pretty drastic measures, completely voluntarily, selling my car & the house and MAJORLY downsizing & getting back to the country. My life is filled with too many things&stuff, wanting to de-clutter, downsize & simplify in a big way. It can't happen overnight but I've got to start taking baby steps toward goal of a happier simpler life. My first being to reduce spending, paying off credit cards then socking away $$ for some acreage in the country. I've done little things over the years but need to do so much more, make my own soap & laundry soap, canning & freezing. Tell me your experiences & what you've been through in making major lifestyle changes, and pray for me to be successfull in this life-changing journey.

Edited by - neeter302 on Oct 23 2012 06:15:13 AM

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  06:49:17 AM  Show Profile
Just a little background, raised in family of eight at poverty level, once lived in a house with no running water & an outhouse. Mom used a wringer washer & line dried even in winter, sewed & mended, raised a garden & canned everything she could to feed her kids. We played outside til dark, no video games or cell phones, no microwaves or laptops, and ONE car. We all survived! I can do this !

Edited by - neeter302 on May 01 2013 05:19:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  06:57:49 AM  Show Profile
Eight years ago we did what you are attempting to do now. We sold our 3500 square foot house and bought an 1800 square foot house in the country with a couple of acres. We are growing our own food. We have de-cluttered everything non-essential. We paid off all of our debt and we are living debt-free and happy.

Some things that you might want to consider. Do you really need a cup of coffee, or a new blouse? Can you get by with a used vehicle? Can you use mass transit, and cut down on gas consumption? Holidays can be hand made instead of buying everything. And you can learn to make things from scratch. It's usually cheaper and tastes better.

These are the things that we did to make our dream come true. You can do it. It requires patience and careful planning, but it can be done. I know that Dave Ramsey is supposed to be a real hero for many people, but all you really need to do is pay off the lowest debt first and then move up the ladder until it's all paid.

Good luck to you.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I cannot master those things that I have not tried.

check out my artfire: http://www.artfire.com/users/PiNOKEEOs
Go to Top of Page

desperadosdream
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Malena
Versailles Indiana
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  07:05:05 AM  Show Profile
Hey Anita, I have faith. You can do this. It is almost liberating at times to just"make" the choice (whatever that choice may be)and then move forward. Sometimes we get hung up going back and forth with what we should do, would, do "if only" next thing you know time has passed us by. I'm sorry to hear that you needed surgery that is never any fun but hopefully you will soon be on the way to a bright blessed happy new beginning in a body that feels much better. We are very close to each other (only 26 miles)so if you need a hand feel free to drop me a line. I make my own laundry detergent, household cleaners, and herbal tinctures. I also make my own deodorant etc. There are so many ways to downsize and save and typically for women one of the biggest is in the size of their closet contents and all the pretties we like to have sitting around. We sometimes have to grasp the less is more mantra in those 2 things to jump start the process. Evaluating what is really important for functional use or an item that is really sentimental is at times easy and other times tough but persevere and you will make great strides. Good luck.

Malena
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  07:10:59 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Phyllis, you set an example for us all. I tried to make homemade bread yesterday, it failed but I'm going to try again! Hoping to cut WAY back on electricity usage, last bill was astronomical, going to get a couple oil lanterns today and set up a drying rack for clothes & quit using dryer. Donated a ton of stuff to goodwill, wish I could have a yardsale but too late in the season. DH is probably gonna freak but I'm needing & wanting major changes.
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  07:41:57 AM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
Anita, I too am sorry to hear about your surgery, but maybe that was a God sent to get you thinking about your like, a simple life to me is much more rewarding, I hear co-workers talking about their money problems,but these are people at have to have the big homes and every new thing that hits the market, but they aren't happy because they are a slave to all those things and can't find joy in life because they are so stressed out all the time. I raised four kids alone so a simple life style was just something we had to do, but I wouldn't change that, we had to work together to make things run smoothly, and as a result we are very close and the kids now all on their own want that simple life style. You, Malena, and I are very close to each other, I just realized that!! Roxanna
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  07:44:01 AM  Show Profile
I have a sign that says SIMPLIFY....
My husband always laughs about it. He wonders why people think living in the country simplifies your life.
Our life has never been so busy ;)
I do love homesteading but sometimes I have less time than I did when I lived in town to do it.

I do think being debt free definately is a good thing and does simplify our lives and stress level.
Decluttering our lives is good. I am working on that myself. Starting room by room getting rid of stuff I don't use or need.
I love flylady she has helped me realize it is okay to get rid of STUFF.

Good luck on your adventure :)

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  07:55:29 AM  Show Profile
Anita
NOT too late for a yrad sale. We just ran one for 2 weekends and made about $1300
Go to Top of Page

desperadosdream
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Malena
Versailles Indiana
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  08:03:02 AM  Show Profile
Yes Roxanna we are very close. I sent you an email a week or so ago to that affect. It must have gotten spammed out. LOL

Malena
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  08:20:19 AM  Show Profile
Downsizing isn't just a physical thing its also a mental process. You need to overcome a life's worth of consumer minded society programming. =) We base our sense of happiness and well being on things and re-learning different priorities can take a while. I can only speak for myself, but this is something that I'm still working on to some extent. I live in a SMALL house, so what makes me the happiest these days is floor space! In the end the only person that can make you happy is you and you have to go with the things that make your life the most worth living

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  08:24:08 AM  Show Profile
We did it 9 years ago ... No mortgage payment,car payment,credit card payment. We own everything we have. We will never be a slave to the banks again. We both work and live very simply. Have a very nice savings account and a beautiful home.
But, we did not do any of it by going out to eat, buying new clothes everytime the style changed,paying people to do what we were MORE than capable of doing ourselves.
And most certainly not caring about status or what others have.
Good luck, it is VERY much within your reach, ... Just keep your eye on the prize!

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com

Edited by - kysheeplady on Oct 23 2012 08:30:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  08:40:58 AM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
Malena, I just sent you an e-mail. Roxanna
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  08:54:39 AM  Show Profile
Teri,
What an accomplishment.
I would like to be there.
Working on it...

Sandra
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  09:02:33 AM  Show Profile
Hey neighbors, so good to hear from you! I'm actually very excited about starting over with a newfound awareness of overspending, wastefulness, and general complacency. I'm looking at this time at home as a godsend, what I would give to stay home all the time and homestead. I'll think of that next time I'm tempted to eat out or buy a new pretty that's not an absolute necessity. It's disgusting to look at the W2 at the end of the year and say "Where the hell did it all go?" pardon my french. It's all my own doing therefore up to me to change, and I don't care if people think I'm crazy! well off to more donations to goodwill, hope I have the strength not to bring anything home with me LOL !
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  09:41:58 AM  Show Profile
Sandra,
Yes it is very nice knowing that I don't owe anyone anything ... We do once in a while buy something on the cc just to keep our credit score ... And wish we didn't have to play those games.
It is a lot of hard work and commetment to the your goal, but oh so worth it in the end.
I work only part time for health ins.now :)

Teri

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  5:05:01 PM  Show Profile
Teri,
I tried to check out your blog (its on your signature line) I have been there before...but this time it wouldn't let me on. Said I needed to be invited? Did you change your settings?
Thanks

Sandra
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  5:20:07 PM  Show Profile
Sandra,
yes, I changed my settings to blog authors only... to much on my plate right now to handle, trying to get caught up on some yarn and soap orders I have hanging. We also have been busy stacking wood and building on to the sheep barn. It will be back up in a week or so ...
Are all your ewes bred?

Teri

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2012 :  11:33:01 AM  Show Profile
Teri,
We haven't put our Ram out yet. We don't lamb until April...on pasture.

Sandra
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2012 :  2:18:11 PM  Show Profile
Mine were really early this year. I have 3 rams ... hard to keep those boys under control when the temps dip! Should start with lambs in March ...:(

Teri

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Zippy
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Zee
Idaho
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2012 :  10:25:35 AM  Show Profile
We too are trying to simplify and cut back on spending and clutter. I have found that it goes in stages and baby steps but I just keep moving forward. You can't expect overnight change, but it will come.
It's great to be a part of a group like this where we can give one another encouragement :)

"Only A Life Lived for Others is A Life Worthwhile."
~Albert Einstein

http://pinterest.com/zipporahd/
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2012 :  7:14:05 PM  Show Profile
Hey gals: We are retired. If you have some savings you will do ok. But our savings disappeared with 911 and we now have social security and our own suplimental insurance. It took a big adjustment in thinking. We're happier with less. Don't need as much stuff and I did all the chores the old way in the old days on the farm. Your mind determines what makes you happy. I love watching the bids, gardening, quilting and just being at home. Embrace life. I wish happiness to you all.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Calico Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Meg
Middle Tennessee
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2012 :  05:13:48 AM  Show Profile
Anita,
Sounds like you are at a point we reached about 3 years ago (also after I had surgery)! About that time we took the Dave Ramsey course and cleaned up our finances. What we didn't expect was how the course helped us clearly see our priorities. What we wanted (gardening, animals, farming) was the opposite of what we were doing in a huge city. We spent the next two years looking at farm properties and "staging" our move. Money not tagged for essentials went into the "farm fund".
This month marks the end of our first year living in the country and complete change of lifestyle. I have never been so busy! There is always something to do but the important thing is that I am smiling as I do it! I love not being caught up in the materialistic lifestyle we left behind and I especially love not paying outrageous property taxes in the city. As for the material things we brought on our move, we are using all the tools/furniture/work clothes/cars. The things that we are not using include our closets of career clothing and many of the dishes we had used for entertaining. It will now be easy this winter to declutter as I know from experience what we will use or not. Although this first year has by no means been easy, we have learned so much, made good friends, eat healthy homegrown food and are in better physical condition. Good luck on your journey!
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2012 :  08:18:39 AM  Show Profile
Anita,
Hang in there! Your dreams can come true!
Few years back an injury and some health issues sidelined my life into different directions.
Went from a large home, 5 acres to a suburban apt in another state.

It was hard, maybe at times still is? Major downsizing!
But I am learning each day how to make things work in fun 'farmgirl' ways !
Each spring I'm getting better at container herb gardening on my balcony. Might not have my land anymore?
But I'm realizing that sitting out on the balcony that overlooks a park like area is really a blessing and great quiet am time as sun rays are tipping and my coffee is hot!

I'm actually doing more things from scratch. Re learning my sewing and knitting skills.
Tonight at my churches Pinterest group we are learning to crochet, which I haven't done in many a year. Forgot how and I'm excited to learn again!

I hope for each of us? Our farmgirl dreams come true !!! Whether that dream of a home and land?
Suburban homesteading? Or those in the city? Much like the Mjf bloggers we enjoy!!!
Take root where we are planted as best we are able.
Make our dreams, whatever they are, come true !!

So thankful for each of the Farmgirls and these forums!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6601 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6601 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2012 :  08:15:06 AM  Show Profile
I am trying to do what you are doing Anita,, I do not need or want all these things I have collected over the years. I just want to downsize, simplify, pay off debts, sell the house so I can realize our dream of having a small cabin in the woods on maybe 10 acres. Dreams do come true I know that, so lets not give up farmgirls we can do this. (Wish I would have come to this conclusion years ago before I was in my 50's) :-)
Congratulations Anita on being our November Farmgirl of the month.
Hugs,
Debbie

If you are lucky enough to live in the mountains you are lucky enough.
www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures
www.etsy.com/shop/MountainWingsAntique
http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com
http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

mountain mama
True Blue Farmgirl

168 Posts

Marilyn
Divide Co
168 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2012 :  09:04:32 AM  Show Profile
Anita,
Because of your attitude and your determination to simplify your life. I have the pleasure of choosing you to be farmgirl of the month of Nov.
You will find that things never replace the people who walk through our lives and the happiness we can feel for the terrific beautiful earth we live on.
Enjoy your month.
Enjoy your revised life.

Marilyn
Farmgirl #408
Stress relief: go fishing, play in the dirt. go on a road trip, talk to a farmgirl.
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2012 :  07:23:22 AM  Show Profile
I'm so honored Marilyn! (While bowing and saying I'm not worthy!) Haven't been on in a few days, had to go back to work earlier than expected, coworkers are scrambling to squeeze in their last vacation days before end of the year. How I long to stay home. Been having so much fun, trying 'recipes' and have made homemade veggie & fruit wash, dish liquid, fabric softener, shampoo, and next going to try deoderant. I've been consciously using less, spending less, being mindful of how everything I do and use has an impact. Haven't eaten out in over a month and it feels GOOD! As I pass fast food restaurants the smell actually sickens me, I can't believe I ate so much of that stuff, GROSS! It's as though I've gone through some kind of shift in consciousness. These things have always been in the back of my mind but more urgent and powerful now. Hearing the devastation of Hurricane Sandy, my heart is breaking for people with no resources and more determined than ever in efforts of disaster preparedness and simpler living. One silver lining to natural disasters is people without power will have to TALK FACE TO FACE, come out of their boxes, communicate and come together. Having no conveniences forces people to change their priorities and do basic things many of us have forgotten how to do. Thanks for the encouragement, I love hearing everyones stories and suggestions. DH is having a hard time with wanting to sell my car and other steps I'm wanting to take and has asked me to think it over this winter but my mind is made up. This is no longer something I WANT to do, it's something I HAVE to do.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Downsizing & Simplifying Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page