Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills
 Downsizing & Simplifying
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Downsizing & Simplifying Next Topic
Page: of 2

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2012 :  08:05:42 AM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
Congratulation Anita, on being chosen farmgirl for the month of November!! Roxanna
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2012 :  10:38:23 AM  Show Profile
Thank you! Oh and we collected beeswax from our hives, I can't wait to make beeswax candles!
Go to Top of Page

mountain mama
True Blue Farmgirl

168 Posts

Marilyn
Divide Co
168 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2012 :  11:26:01 AM  Show Profile
Anita,
I sent you a couple of e-mails. Did you get them?

Marilyn
Farmgirl #408
Stress relief: go fishing, play in the dirt. go on a road trip, talk to a farmgirl.
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2012 :  4:24:57 PM  Show Profile
Anita , sent you an email!

Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!

Silly Boys Trucks Are For Girls
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2012 :  6:10:13 PM  Show Profile
Just did my first barter, so excited I had to spread the news. I needed a crockpot for soaping and beeswax. Don't want to use the ones I use for food, so it has to be designated for soap/candles etc. Saw one at Walmart for $20 but thought there has to be a million crockpots out there someone doesn't want so I posted a trade on a local Buy,Sell,Trade and immediately traded. A) didn't spend a dime B) didn't patronize Walmart C) probably made a new friend d)she's as happy with the deal as I am.....win win
Go to Top of Page

mountain mama
True Blue Farmgirl

168 Posts

Marilyn
Divide Co
168 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2012 :  07:18:09 AM  Show Profile
Good job. You will be the homestead diva in no time.

Marilyn
Farmgirl #408
Stress relief: go fishing, play in the dirt. go on a road trip, talk to a farmgirl.
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2012 :  07:43:33 AM  Show Profile
Anita, it sounds as though you had a "fairly normal" life of the time. I, too, lived part of my life on a farm with no running water, an outhouse, and no electricity until the early 1950's. We had a wood/coal/corncob stove that heated Grandma & Grandpa's two-room house. I felt it was an important job to haul water to fill the copper vats on the stove on "wash day." We also hung the clothes on the line winter and summer. Now we are so spoiled that my Grandma never got to enjoy the times we have. I've been told by a cousin of mine that my Grandmother never complained about her life. I can truly believe that. She was a strong woman. Of course, she never learned to drive and that was a drawback. Grandpa was a farmer and Grandma was a participant.

As much as I may complain, my life is good. I would like to have a male companion to share it with, but if it's to be then it will happen. Until then, I'm going to "Keep on Quiltin"

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  04:54:39 AM  Show Profile
Yes Betty, keep on quiltin' honey, how the art and work of our hands can be comforting and healing, not only for us during the process but those who receive the gifts from our hands.
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  04:56:41 AM  Show Profile
I made hot process dish liquid in the crockpot this weekend, it was fun, easy, and I was VERY impressed with the results. No need to get store bought ever again, I love it!
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  05:49:13 AM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
Anita do you have a link for the dish soap recipe? Roxanna
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2012 :  05:54:12 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I would love to have that dish soap recipe too!

Julie
Farmgirl #399

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2012 :  06:04:31 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Terri, I Love your blog! I am adding it to my list that I follow.

Julie
Farmgirl #399

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
Go to Top of Page

hialtfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Terri
WA.
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2012 :  7:48:56 PM  Show Profile
Downsize & Simplify!!@#$%
We moved from a 3000 sq ft house to a cabin 15' x 30'...did away with alot, a HUGE yard sale, and still have a hoophouse with alot in WAYYYYY too much stuff,,,I have to wonder, if I could get rid of all of that sooo easy,,WHY OH WHY DID I KEEP IT ALL ANYHOWS??? LOL
!!!

"LOVING" life at 4000 feet elev.
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2012 :  07:56:01 AM  Show Profile
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/8318755/handmade_liquid_dish_soap_from_scratch.html?cat=22
Here's the link to the crockpot dish liquid, hope I did it right:-) I did put the lid on my crockpot during process even though her video didn't show that because every other hot process video I watched did put the lid on. DH was so impressed with it he's been doing the dishes !! Gotta love that!
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2012 :  08:03:27 AM  Show Profile
Wow! Anita, if it will get my husband to wash dishes I will definately try it. Thanks for the link.

~Cathy~
Farmgirl 2428 http://www.my-fairhaven.blogspot.com/
http://adaywithnonnaandboompa.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2012 :  08:40:51 AM  Show Profile
I just wanted to add that having been something of a pack rat and still working to pare down, I've found that having a bin or box by the door helps encourage me to put things in more spontaneously. I think it the visuals of reminding me every time I walk by and notice it "Oh yeah, I could add more to the bin before the weekly trip to the thrift drop off"

Anita, I have to try the dish soap! I'm trying to wean myself of the dishwasher but I hate the commercial hand washing detergent, because it bugs my eyes getting near it. Thank you!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2012 :  06:09:30 AM  Show Profile
There are also tutorials on making dishwasher soap, I store my canning jars in my dishwasher so it never gets used! For those of you who like ginger (I personally LOVE it) try making homemade ginger ale, I made some and DH drank three glasses last night, he loved it. Going to the brewing shop today to get "ale yeast" so I can make ginger beer/soda, for the time being I just mixed my ginger syrup with club soda, lemon and lime juice, it was SO good. This is one of those recipes that you can tweak to your own taste any way you want, if you prefer use berries instead of ginger, etc. I added whole cloves, cardamom, and a tsp of peppercorns during the steeping process and couldn't believe how good it was, so easy.
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2012 :  06:51:29 AM  Show Profile
Annika I've been doing the same thing! Leaving a box by the door, it's kinda hard to get rid of things if I think I might need it later I want to hang on to it. There have been times I've gotten rid of things and regretted it later but if I'm ever gonna get a grip on this clutter I have to make myself do it!
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2012 :  1:33:14 PM  Show Profile
I am all for downsizing. When we moved to the beach back in 2001 we lived in a 4500 sq.ft. house on the water. I had 8 toilets to clean, 3 kitchens,5 full baths to go with 5 bedrooms,two fireplaces, a boathouse, on and on......stuff to take care ofnot to mention what the salt air did to the outdoor light fixtures, a/c units, wiring, we were always having to call someone to fix stuff. I kept the house all by myself and we had a house full of company every weekend! We sold that house in 2007 and moved into a new 2500 sq.ft. house. Still too big and lots of stuff and furniture left over from the other house in storage. Sold that house and built a 1,400 sq.ft. home just like I wanted and I LOVE It. It is my favorite house and a heck of alot less work. We live on 1/2 acre with a 22X20 screen room built on the back, barn, shelters and garden. I pay cash for my (used)car. No more new ones and detest any kind of shopping. I still have stuff to get rid of and deal with but it is so much better. I am 58 and have had more than I will ever need.

www.cottagebythebay.blogspot.com

~Trust in the Lord...but row away from the rocks~
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2012 :  10:41:27 AM  Show Profile
Tracy that's awesome and I love your tag line ! Sometimes the reality of living our dreams hits us square on the head and it ends up not being all it's cracked up to be. I always thought I wanted to retire to a place by the ocean but now I know it's best left as a place to visit on occasion. After Hurricane Sandy I seriously wouldn't want to live there now.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Downsizing & Simplifying Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page