Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 update: for whole blueberry syrup that you can
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic update: for whole blueberry syrup that you can Next Topic  

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2012 :  07:57:55 AM  Show Profile

I have alot of blueberries from 2011 that I had overlooked in the freezer. I would like to turn these into a whole blueberry syrupthat I could can. The only recipes I can find have you straining the blueberries and only using the juice. I want to can this syrup.

I would like to keep the whole blueberries in the syrup. I have a recipe for the whole crushed berries but its not for canning.The recipes I have found are for using right away call for cornstarch. They say you can't can it because it will not hold up.I have been through several ball books and on the internet and can't seem to find anything. Please help me if you can. Thanks so much

Update: I finally got a chance to make whole blueberry syrup. I ended up kinda winging it in the end. But it turned out supper yummy. I didn't add any cornstarch to thicken it because several of the canning books said it wasn't safe so I didn't use it. But I did cook it down some and it turned out fine. I ended up with a total of 2 quarts, 7 pints, and 10- 12 oz jars.
I didn't really want to use quart jars but I ran out of smaller jars.I will pull those out for when we have sleep over family and make lots of pancakes. I canned more this year and used up certain jars so I just used what I had on hand.I will be making this every year from now on. I am so happy with the way it turned out. I am learning more every year and trying new things. I am going to try canning turkey broth tomorrow.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Nov 26 2012 5:01:54 PM

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2012 :  08:31:35 AM  Show Profile
http://www.simplebites.net/how-to-make-your-own-blueberry-syrup/

Hi Linda, I used this recipe last year for huckleberries and though it was a bit tart because of the extra tartness of huckleberries it worked well. I think that if you made sure to pick over the berries carefully for stems and leaf bits that it would work with leaving the skins in. I am far from a canning expert but this one was pretty tasty to us.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2012 :  09:50:58 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much Annika. I went to the website and looked at the recipe and it looks pretty good but its for a syrup. Someone commented that if you left the berries in it would be too thick. This person wanted to puree them in her vitamix. I guess I will experiment and see what happens. I can't believe there are no true recipes out there for whole blueberry syrup to can. I thought there would be lots of them.

Did you strain your berries or did you leave them whole? Also did yours thicken pretty well and did you can yours?

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2012 :  5:35:41 PM  Show Profile
I finally found a recipe after several hours of reading through so many websites using whole berries. Don't know how it will taste but I am going to give it a whirl it sounds pretty simple. Here is the website for the whole blueberry syrup you can water bath can.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4559885_make-syrup_-_a-canning-recipe.html

I will attempt this sometime this week. Will let you know how it works out. If someone has a better one please let me know I am desperate......lol.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Oct 22 2012 5:42:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2012 :  5:40:15 PM  Show Profile
Here was the first one that kinda was close but it still threw away part of the berries after straining but then has you add whole ones back to the syrup. So it was kinda what I was looking for but I didn't want to throw out the berry pulp.I wanted to use the whole thing.But anyone intersted here is the recipe.

Blueberry syrup
Makes 5-6 pints

If you don’t have enough syrup to fill the final jar, refrigerate it and use within a month. Use canned jars within a year.

6 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen

2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice

1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest

4-5 cups sugar, to taste

6 pint-size canning jars and lids, sterilized

Have boiling water-bath canner ready. Rinse fruit in cold water, removing any stray stems and blemished berries. Drain well. Reserve 2 cups berries. Place the rest in a food processor and pulse briefly (or mash with a potato masher). Place in a 2-quart saucepan with lemon juice and zest. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce to a low simmer and cook 5 minutes. Press cooked berries through a fine-mesh colander using the back of a wooden spoon to push through as much pulp and juice as possible. Discard dry pulp. You should have 4 to 5 cups thick juice. Return juice to pan and add an equal amount of sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, add 2 cups reserved whole blueberries, and cook 2 minutes. Divide syrup among prepared jars, distributing whole fruit evenly and leaving ½ inch of head space. Wipe any spills from lip of jars. Seal with 2-part canning lids and place in a boiling water bath that covers tops of jars by 2 inches. Boil 15 minutes. Remove jars from bath and turn upside-down for 1 minute. Turn upright and cool. Check seals. Variations: Other berries may be substituted or mixed with the blueberries. Recipe may be cut in half. You may substitute a heat-proof sweetener such as Splenda for the sugar. Syrup can also be put up in half-pint jars.

Per tablespoon: 23 calories (0 percent from fat), 0 fat (0 saturated, 0 monounsaturated), 0 cholesterol, 0 protein, 5.9 g carbohydrates, 0 fiber, 0 sodium.

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Oct 22 2012 5:41:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2012 :  5:46:29 PM  Show Profile
Here is a really intersting recipe for blueberry syrup using apple juice and honey. I think this one sounds super cool. I think I will have to get some organic apple juice to make this recipe. We had a small honey harvest and this would be a super way to use it besides on bread and biscuits.

Low Sugar Canned Berry Syrup And Topping
From: www.AnOregonCottage.com (adapted from Kerr Kitchen Cookbook)

•10-1/2 cups berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, etc.), fresh or frozen
•4-1/2 c. apple juice
•1-1/2 c. honey
•1-1/2 c. sugar (or use 2-3/4 c. honey total -use a bit less as honey is sweeter than sugar)
1.Place fruit in an 8-quart pot and crush (if using frozen fruit, let thaw at room temperature first).
2.Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir constantly towards the end as it gets close to boiling, just to make sure it doesn't overflow the pot.
3.Reduce the heat slightly- enough to keep the fruit at a medium boil - and stir often as the mixture cooks and reduces over the next 40 minutes. It should be thickened and reduced by almost half. If not, continue cooking for 5 to 10 minutes more.
4.Meanwhile, prepare the canner and 9 1/2-pints jars (or 5 pint jars) and lids. Keep the jars warm until filling.
5.Immediately fill hot jars with the syrup, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Wipe jar tops and threads clean and place lids and bands on jars.
6.Process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes. Remove and let cool on a towel overnight before removing bands and testing lids for seal. Refrigerate any that didn't seal and store the rest on a dark, cool shelf.

7.Always label the jars with the contents and a date so you remember what you've got. Use within a year.
Makes 9 1/2-pints or 5 pints

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Oct 22 2012 5:48:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2012 :  6:39:35 PM  Show Profile
Hey Linda!!
Sorry, I saw you called a few times.. Both of Jim's parents are in the hospital... Sorry! I need to catch up!!!By the way, I think Apie is getting fat! Jim says, "No way, she is BEAUTIFUL!" LOL!
Why don't you make Annika's recipe & just add some whole blueberries??
Or.. just stick those babies in the Vitamix (known in our house as "My Boyfriend", pulse them to oblivion & add sugar etc & can !!
Talk to you soon! I hope!
Go to Top of Page

ptroupe
True Blue Farmgirl

1752 Posts

Portia
Johnson City NY
USA
1752 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  05:50:48 AM  Show Profile
I used my machine that is close to a Vita-Mix to puree, googled a recipe for crockpot blueberry syrup---then canned it. Delish!

Portia

Wishing for the country life!
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  06:24:05 AM  Show Profile
Do you have the site or recipe for this Portia? That sounds really good. I have been looking for it but so far I have not seen it.
Does it call for cornstarch? All the recipes I have been looking say you can't can syrup if it has cornstarch in it because it poses some kind of health risk?

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Oct 23 2012 07:59:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  6:51:58 PM  Show Profile
Linda
In "work mode" right now, but you go girl!
I'll catch up with you later this week or weekend & get details.
I have a few quart bags in the freezer of various berries prime for a job like this.
PS
Canned turkey broth yesterday. 10 pints & 4 freezer bags of 2 cups each.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic update: for whole blueberry syrup that you can Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page