Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Illinois Amish Country Next Topic  

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  9:32:43 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
Hello gals!
I went to visit my sister at her school in Decatur, IL this weekend and decided to take a detour home through Amish country. I've always been intrigued by the Plain lifestyle, even more so since discovering Beverly Lewis' books a few months ago. I wasn't even aware that there were Amish communities in Illinois until about a year ago! I had never visited an Amish community before, so it was a delightful first experience for me! I made my first stop in Arcola, where I visited a few shops. It was early Sunday evening, so not much was open. I did go into a great primitive/craft/anitique shop called The Primitive Goose. It was a great mix of repro primitive and the real thing! I would have brought home a truck full of old cabinets, shelves, etc. if I had a house and some mulah! The website is www.theprimitivegoose.com. I'd like to go back and visit the Raggedy Ann and Andy museum. Then I decided to take a drive through Arthur, the heart of Illinois Amish Country. Only seconds after passing a horse and buggy sign, imagine my excitement when I saw one up ahead! I probably passed more than a dozen the whole trip. Let me tell ya, there's nothing better than the clip-clop of horses' hooves and the earthy smell of manure. Sometimes I feel like my heart beats to that clip clop while everyone's around me beats to the thunderous rumble of a race horse. After driving a few miles through the endless farmland, I stopped at The Great Pumpkin Patch. It was a neat place with all kinds of pumpkins, squash, gourds, and fall flowers. There was a large pick-your-own patch in the back, a sweet shop, farm animals, a children's garden, a gift shop, and it turned out to be a nice place to stop and enjoy the surroundings. After buying some pumpkins and squash, I headed out. I didn't want to leave! The whole area gave off a sense of quietude and peace. And it helped that it was a warm sunny day! Seeing the way the Amish live was very refreshing. There were two families in passing buggies that waved at each other, little boys outside helping their father, a group of children taking turns riding a pony and playing in the grass; not to mention their simple attire and slow form of travel. I think everyone needs to visit a place like this at least once in their lives. It'll make you slow down and savor the simple things in life, even if only for an afternoon. My quick visit has me longing even more for a simpler rural lifestlye. But after pulling out of the pumpkin patch, it was time for me to get back on the highway and head home, with my first visit to Amish country etched dearly in my heart.
Much love,
Laura

PS It made me terribly sad and angry this morning to hear of the shooting in the Amish school. It seems no place is safe from the evil of the world. With that in mind, I ask you to pray not only for the people who's hearts are shattered by tragedies like these, but also for the world; that it can someday be a place where things like school shootings don't happen.

"In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart." Anne Frank

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  10:07:17 PM  Show Profile
Gosh I loved hearing about your visit to Amish country..sounds heavenly. I would love to see those places some day!! What a wonderful experience!
I agree..it is so extra sad that anyone would be so evil to such nonviolent people..to anyone really..but it is just so extra shocking. I sure keep those families in my prayers tonight.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  11:01:15 PM  Show Profile
Hubby and I are traveling to Lancaster in early November, as well as other places in the east. I admire they way the Amish live. I know they sacrifice a great deal to live the way they do.
My heart broke and I cried when I was telling my daughter what happened there today. I, too, will keep the families in my prayers.
Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  04:45:16 AM  Show Profile
Raised in Illinois, I visited the town of Arthur Illinois sometimes. My niece has family there (her mother was Amish) and it is an Amish community. My heart broke when I saw the news last night about the school shootings in Lancaster. This mornings' paper said the Amish do not believe in any type of violence. They do not serve in the armed forces, and do not take Social Sercurity or any form of government assistance. They always turn the other cheek and walk away from violence and evil. This will be a terrible test of their beliefs, and my prayers are really with them. They have always had my admiration, since I was a little child and observed their pretty farmhouses and their horse drawn carriages. It is also sad that they will now have so much publicity thrown their way, as they do not like attention called to themselves. All they ask is to live peacefully and quietly. Those families that lost a daughter - I pray that God gives them strength to get through this.
Jeannie

On a lighter note, Laura does your sister attend Milikin? My nephew went there.

Peace
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  07:55:30 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
There are also alot of Amish communites in Missouri and Iowa. I also love their simple lifestyle although I'm not sure I'm ready to give up my indoor plumbing or my a/c in the hot summer. I think we can all take a few lessons from them in turning off the tv and blocking out alot of the 'gunk' of the world from our homes. I'm looking forward to reading more from those who visit the quieter side of life.

Sarah
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  09:45:49 AM  Show Profile
Hey Laura,
I'm heading down to Aurthur on Saturday. It's a lovely area. There is a primitive antique/folk art show on Sat. I posted the details on Frannie's topic...what are you up to...or something like that. It's in the "Across the Fence" forum anyway. :)
Blessings,
Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  11:18:05 AM  Show Profile
When I was a kid we would go into the country where there were Amish communities. As a kid I was always intrigued by them I still am to this day. One of my favorite artist is N.A. Noel. She has alot of art of the amish, mostly kids. And I just love it!
I feel for the communitites that are going through the grief of losing a child yesterday. I feel for them also because they are being plastered all over the TV right now, and they do not like cameras. So I would imagine this is more tramatic for them in more ways than one. Im sure that the cameras are the least of their concerns right now.
They will be in my thoughts and prayers.

lilpunkin
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  11:20:43 AM  Show Profile
I've been to Arthur and Arcola many times when I lived in IL. It was fun to visit. I love Beverly Lewis' books too. Just finished her latest series.

Handmade purses and bath delights at www.rusticcottagecreations.com
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  12:22:06 PM  Show Profile
I love Lancaster, my parents were from Pa. not far from ther at all.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  6:48:34 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
Jeannie, my sister does attend Millikin. She's majoring in music education. Pamela, I'm jealous! I've never been to Lancaster, or anywhere on the east coast for that matter! I haven't been out of the midwest much. I used to think all this Illinois farmland was flat and boring, but I realized how much I love it when it started getting replaced by subdivisions and stores. Sarah, my boyfriend is just thrilled at my musings on living without electricity! So I compromised and said we can use some solar power. haha! Really, I don't want to give up power all together, just be more conscience of my energy use. And don't want to get caught up with always having to get the newest and fanciest tecnological gadgets. In addition to my car, I do want a horse and buggy! I love that horsepower! Well, enough dreaming for now!
Much love,
Laura

"In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart." Anne Frank
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  7:26:22 PM  Show Profile
Oh your trip sounds wonderful. I too am intrigued by the Amish. I really admire everything they do. I cannot believe that someone would would target them. I really feel for those poor families and also for the gunmans wife and small children. In our paper it said that he left suicide notes for his wife and that he had 3 little ones. I couldn't imagine how she feels knowing that her husband caused so much pain. Back to topic, sorry.....

I hope that sometime I can visit Amish country and shop. They make some incredible furniture and quilts and lots of stuff really.
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  7:56:17 PM  Show Profile
Glad you enjoyed your visit Laura.
I grew up in NE OH and there were many Amish and Mennonite communities nearby. I have quite a bit of oak and cherry furniture crafted by the Amish including a king sized oak poster bed. They are about 30yrs old now and someday will be passed down to be antiques. They are very well made. I have lived here in GA for 20 yrs and I think I miss the Amish the most in the fall. There used to be a roadside stand we would pass and in the fall they would cook apple butter in a huge cauldron over the fire. The smell was wonderful! We used to go get Eggs @ a nearby farm and the kids loved to go so they could pet the cows. If you like go to Lehmans.com and visit a large general store in the middle of Amish country. This store is about 2 miles from the place I bought my beautiful furniture.
TEDDIE
Go to Top of Page

Redhen
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Moe
Illinois
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  2:34:46 PM  Show Profile
I have been to Arcola and Arthur! I love to go, although its been a while. My brother lives within an hour or so of them east. I'll have to check out the scoop on that show - might have to visit him this weekend! Funny story about my first visit. I was in a Five and Dime store downtown Arcola and there was an Amish woman shopping. I believe she was looking at embroidery threads in the next isle. And I was trying to observe her without startling her or making it seem like I was gawking - which I probably was. Anyway I was looking at her clothes and her dark navy blouse and jumper and how simple and conservative she was. Then she came around the isle, and she had on the brightest turquoise-blue suede Nike tennis shoes I've ever seen! It was too cute!

....I don't believe we're in Kansas anymore.The Wizard of Oz
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  2:50:16 PM  Show Profile
I hade the same thing happen, in a different way. I was in Jo-Ann Fabrics in line behind an Amish woman. She was buying plain solid fabrics, and had two little ones with her. She was dressed in plain clothes. Well, her hubby comes into the store and gets in line beside her and on his waist is a cell phone! A fancy one. I was very surprised!

Peace
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  06:34:13 AM  Show Profile
JPbluesky, having cell phones or other modern things depends on their local Ordnung, or the local interpretations of what's worldly and what's not. I know a horse trainer down by Arthur that's Amish, and they have a phone for business purposes, but it's out in a small building all by itself; it's not allowed to intrude upon home life.

While I've only been to Arthur a couple of times, I was raised close to an Amish community in northern Indiana. My maternal grandmother was Amish. I miss Shipshewana! The hardware store was THE BEST for a farmgirl; you could get any kind of thing you'd need, from sausage presses to clotheslines to canning equipment, hand tools, yard goods, etc. It was wonderful.

The last thing I heard out of PA is that the Amish are passing the hat for a fund for the gunman's family. The Amish always pull together and take care of each other in times of tragedy, and are taking care of this Englishwoman as if she was their own. They've done more for their image and show their values more with these simple gestures than any book or movie ever could.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  06:42:01 AM  Show Profile
Mary Ann - you are so right. This terrible tragedy has only served to highlight the Amish goodness to others. In our paper today, there was an article that said one of the girls kept captive in the schoolroom(who was 13) asked the killer if she could be shot and the others let go free. This came from the teacher, who was able to run from the schoolhouse and call 911.

It is neat that your grandmother was Amish. That gives you a special bond with them. My nephew's wife came from an Amish family and she still keeps in touch with them. When her mom died at the time she was two, her dad left the community, but the aunts and uncles still keep in touch. They are all such wonderful folks.

Peace
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Illinois Amish Country Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page