True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2012 :  6:19:04 PM  Show Profile
http://kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com/2012/10/a-little-apprehensive.html

Has this happened to anyone else? I think it's ok, but I am just a little nervous.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2012 :  6:35:57 PM  Show Profile
Kris- I went over to your blog and commented.
I say GO FOR IT!!!!!!!
Best of luck- please let us know how it goes,
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2012 :  6:41:42 PM  Show Profile
Kris, if you are nervous about it, don't do it. If you are concerned, you are concerned for a reason. I'd say Do it, but the "illegal" word jumps out at me.
Hugs.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2012 :  6:51:11 PM  Show Profile
I told the guy my concerns when I was talking him. He said we don't have to say I am selling the chickens. He just does stories about different things, people who do things like back in the day. He said not a whole lot of people are doing this anymore and people enjoy reading about people who do. I am going to see if I can pull up some of his articles.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2012 :  7:32:12 PM  Show Profile
As long as it doesn't say that you're selling anything, I can't see that it'd hurt and a little notice is a good thing for the most part

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2012 :  7:57:23 PM  Show Profile
Kris - I just read your post and visited your link to your website. I don't want to be a "Debbie Downer," nor do I want to frighten you, but I want to be honest with you. If you are doing anything illegal, and if you're talking about it on your website, it's free game for anyone - ANYONE, and you may have already opened yourself up to a whole host of problems. The IRS will see it, as well as any other legal authority. The man wanting to interview you with the paper doesn't have to get your permission to print it if it's out on the web, either - IF he is even truly a reporter. This whole thing is very scarey to me, and I really don't want to see you get into trouble. If I were you, I'd do whatever it takes to get legal as soon as possible. Please know that even bartering is taxable. I'm so sorry - I don't want to upset you. But you're my farmgirl sister, and I'm very concerned. Please be careful and get yourself the necessary licenses, tax numbers... pay your taxes and get your ducks in a row. You need to follow your guts with this. I'm very, very serious. Please be wise - you have too much to lose. If I were you, I would contact a pro bono attorney as soon as possible (definitely BEFORE you speak to ANYONE, including the reporter) to protect yourself and get your legal ducks in a row, especially since you have already implicated yourself online. You can delete it, but if anyone has already seen it, you could already be in a heap of trouble. Please take this very seriously. PLEASE. It's always better to be safe than sorry. Big hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Oct 19 2012 8:00:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2012 :  8:09:31 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, I hate to throw a wrench in the works, but I'm thinking you shouldn't even talk to this reporter. I am a former meat cutter who dealt with USDA inspections and I also sell foods at my website. The USDA, FDA and state regulations are strict and enforced and you could get into a great deal of trouble. And a reporter can't be expected not to report what he sees or asks and he will. That is the nature of journalism. It seems to me, based on my experiences, that you are opening yourself up for a monetary fine at the least or lawsuit or jail at the worst. The government is serious when it comes to food.

Just to let you know how strict they are, I had a booth at the Taste of Home Cooking Show and I called the health dept. a week before to find out if I needed a one day permit or a weekend permit and they didn't even know about the show. They were not amused and would have shut it down if it hadn't been rectified.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2012 :  8:25:11 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I posted in a hurry and didn't think it through very well, which is sadly a fault of mine, but the more I think about it, I don't think it's at all wise. You could end up in a whole pot of trouble. Really, I don't want to see you in trouble or losing your animals or anything. I haven't a clue what the penalties are for this. (((hugs))

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  05:21:43 AM  Show Profile
I think you should not do this one. It seems the reporter is interested in the chicken aspect and that could be bad publicity for you.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  07:22:49 AM  Show Profile
Kristin,

I have to agree with Nini and Mary Beth. Even though it seems harmless and like it could mean good business for your farm, you have to be doing things "right". The reporter may mean well, but if one wrong person finds out, you AND your farm could be in a heap of trouble! I would hate to see this happen. Please, please be careful....especially now that it's posted on the internet!

Emily
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  12:58:44 PM  Show Profile
Wow, I had no idea. I did talk to a firend of mine who knows this guy and grew up with him. He also worked at the same paper with him. He said he is for sure a good reporter and person. And also talked to the girl at the booth next to me who has a processing place on her farm that is USDA inspected for chicken only. It's not too far from me. I am going to call and see if I can take my chickens to them to process and package. Just to be on the safe side. Otherwise, these chickens are for me and my family and no one else.

I didn't mean to sound like everything I do is illegal. But according to the government, raw milk is NOT to used for anything other than pet consumption. I have a really hard time with that. And I am not rich. So there is NO way that I could afford, or even want to, pay the cost of getting a certified, grade A facility to make cheese or sell milk. I would be in debt the rest of my life. It is over $300,000.00 just to make a kitchen to make raw milk cheese. That's in Tn. Don't know about anywhere else.

SO I will think about this some more. Thank you all for your concerns. I jump too fast, obviously.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  1:30:26 PM  Show Profile
Kris
I think you are awesome. All you do with your gardens & animals (& kids & grandkids too!). Be proud sister!
Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  2:49:01 PM  Show Profile
There is a group called Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund. I talked with their representative at a booth at a Farm Fair I attended last June in my state. These are the types of issues they deal with. You may want to see if they have resources for you. (703)208-FARM (3276) or www.FarmToConsumer.org they also have a 24/7 Hotline 1-800-867-5891. I own a small farm and try my best to be on the up and up about everything I do, but I keep their magnet on my fridge just incase the day comes that someone knocks on my door with an issue. I say if you do the interview, walk into it with your eyes wide open. Good luck!

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  4:28:15 PM  Show Profile
Something else to think about is even if the reporter is ok, and the article is ok, and the law doesn't care, you still may get harassment from some kind of animals rights fanatics because of the butchering aspect. You may find your little farm's driveway being picketed by PETA or something. Don't get me wrong I am an animal lover and like to stay on a vegetarian diet because of it, but there's a lot of nuts out there with no common sense.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2012 :  03:58:40 AM  Show Profile
Kris
Lots of good advice here. I also think that even if this reporter is trustworthy, someone who reads his article, may not be. This also reminds me of a report I saw a few months ago about all the otherwise law abiding citizens who end up in jail and with huge fines because of obscure laws they broke that no one knows about.
Play it safe. You will sleep better.
Jenne

"Follow your bliss"

Farmgirl sister #4616
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2012 :  06:03:42 AM  Show Profile
Lot to think about here Kris. I know they are not coming for anything but chickens, but sometimes eyes go elsewhere ... sheep and goats displaying scrapie flock id tags in ears?
Just a lot to think about, for what may or may not get you anything.
I do wish you much luck whatever you do.

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2012 :  06:30:46 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kris,
I guess I jumped the gun on this one too...I tend to be a bit of a risk taker, and by the way you described this reporter he sounded on the up and up to me. I guess I just hate the fact that people like you who are just making a living doing things that almost everyone used to do back in the day, has now become a big ball of leagal mumbo jumbo. Dont get me wrong I do understand safety and health concerns, but jeez....it all just gets so complicated!
Go with your gut, and do what YOU want to do. I think all of our farmgirl sisters have raised many good points. I hope it works out well, and do keep us posted and let us know what you decided.
Hugs,

~Laurie
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2012 :  06:06:50 AM  Show Profile
Kris hope all is well. Sounds like you stopped before anything could go wrong, so no harm, no foul. Keep your chin up.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2012 :  2:25:36 PM  Show Profile
I'm with your "don't do it" sisters. In my county recently, a family selling farm produce that they had raised on their own property was reported to the zoning authorities by one -- ONE -- ticked-off neighbor and they got shut down. Either get legal or keep quiet.
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  6:03:22 PM  Show Profile
Hey Kris- Just wondering if you had your interview today? If so how did it go? Fill us in when you get the chance- I'm hoping that whatever you decided it all works out for you!
Hugs,

~Laurie
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2012 :  7:30:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi y'all. Sorry I haven't gottne back about this. It's been a crazy busy week. I did do the interview. The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to do it. The guy was really good and asked really good questions. There will be an adio interview as well as the paper interview with pictures.

I talked with a lady who has been doing this for years on her farm. Raising turkeys and chickens and butchering them in the yard and selling them. Also had talked to a few others who do this too. In Ga. we are allowed up to 1000 birds a year to butcher on site and sell. So with just 50 birds, I am doing pretty good. And all I have to do to make it more like a processing facility is have a floor where water can drain and walls to keep flies out. And there's my chicken processing plant, all legal as pie. But the way I do it is legal too, from what I have heard from talking to others who do this.

And they are all sold too! I was worried they wouldn't sell at all and now they all have. Well, I'll keep at least 5.

I don't think I'l;l do this again. It's just too expensive for the feed and a lot of work. And not a lot of profit at all. I'll have to figure what all I have spent and then see if I actually made anything.

But the guy asked me why I do this. And if I'd ever want to do anything else. I said I do this because I want to know what I am eating and I want others to know where there food comes from. And how. I want people to be aware of how their food is grown and where it comes from. And there is nothing else I want to be doing. I love it here.

I'll let you know how to see the article when it comes out. After I've seen it first! He took LOTS of pictures. Lots. And he was really impressed about the whole farm. So I feel good about it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2012 :  7:40:52 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the update Kris- it sounds like you had a great interview. I am so happy to hear that you talked to people and found out all the legalities and all is good! YAY!
I hope that the interview ends up helping your business, and that it sheds more light on what a true "farmgirl" really does!
Way to go!
I have no doubt in my mind that you made every farmer very, very proud and probably have that mans head spinning with your wealth of knowledge and hard work!
Congratulations to you!
Hugs,

~Laurie
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic A little nervous Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page