Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Children and medications Update
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Children and medications Update Next Topic
Page: of 2

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2012 :  7:01:34 PM  Show Profile
Ok, our daughter and her daughter are living with us again. Kansas is 9 years old. The poor child has been on medication for hyperactivity for the past few years now. Her teachers can't seem to handle her excessive energy and tell her mother she needs to be put on medications. So she does. But when she is here, I don't want her on them. They even give the poor child sleeping meds too.

So tonight, I had some leftover sauteed veggies with noodles. With lots of collrads in it. I told her she needs to eat good and she won't need to take her meds anymore. She ate all of it. And wanted more. Thats' another thing. She's a very nervous kid too, from all she's been through. She's VERY this. I guess she has a very high matabolism and burns up all her calories.

So anyway, I am going to be doing some research on foods she should be eating or staying away from so she won't have to be on these meds anymore. Does anyone else have kids like this? What do you do? Are there foods you keep them away from too? Have you seen a difference in the way they eat and having to take meds? Ijust wondered about other families with hyper kids about this age and what you do instead of meds.Thanks.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Nov 06 2012 2:41:04 PM

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2012 :  7:10:35 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I recommend watching her gluten intake. There are so many symptoms outside the normal gut reaction. Mine was all skin, but I've heard of hyperactivity. No experience first hand, but fyi for you.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2012 :  7:14:56 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I have heard of the gluten sensitivity in hyper children. I will look into that too. Thanks for the reminder.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2012 :  7:28:17 PM  Show Profile
My youngest son is ADHD. He is not on any medication. The ADHD medications have terrible side effects and we refuse to put him on them. He tried just one pill of the weakest dosage for several different types of ADHD medications & his reaction was awful. We decided never again. One of the many side effects is appetite suppression, that could be why your granddaughter is so thin.

I give my son "Attention Daily" herbal drops from Gala Kids. I order them from vitacost.com. I put the drops and liquid Omega 3 Fish Oil in his morning glass of kefir. There are NO side effects for him. You can also try a gluten free diet to see if that will help your granddaughter. It didn't work for my son, but some ADHD children respond to it.

I try to give my son organic food only and no candy. He has never had soda or fast food. I don't give him anything with corn syrup or corn starch since it bothers his stomach. If possible, take Kansas to her pediatrician to see if she needs to be tested for allergies. The doctor should help advise you on what kind of diet Kansas should have or refer her to someone who can.

When my son gets home from school he plays for about 30-45 minutes with the neighbor kids. Usually they play soccer. This helps him burn up some energy. We rarely let him play computer games. This can over stimulate his ADHD symptoms. I also severely limit his TV time. We read a lot and he can sit for nearly an hour reading his books when he is in the mood. Lego's are another favorite of his and we are always amazed how quietly he sits and works on them. Hopefully you can find quiet activities that Kansas enjoys that holds her attention too.

Best of luck on finding what will help Kansas cope with her hyperactivity. Try to keep the household as calm & peaceful as possible. Keep doing your research and make sure you check the dates when the articles & material you are reading were written. Try to stick with what research has been done in the past year or so. There are a ton of theories out there, so proceed with caution & take what you read with a big grain of salt.

You are all in my prayers.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2012 :  8:34:09 PM  Show Profile
It seems to me that you're on the right track, but what does your daughter think?

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2012 :  07:13:33 AM  Show Profile
Kristen Years ago I had a friend whose son was ADHD and she took all the processed foods and foods with artificial coloring out of his diet and it made a big difference. So big in fact the teacher of her other son asked her what she had done as son number two was now calmer even though he was not ADHD. Red food coloring is one of the worst.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2012 :  07:54:33 AM  Show Profile
Kris,
I really do believe in the power of food and WHAT these children eat makes a huge difference in their behavior. My husband has ADHD but wasn't diagnosed until he was about 18. Prior to that, he'd been labelled a problem child, "hyper active" and kicked out of every Catholic school this side of the Mississippi, even though his IQ is genius level. We don't medicate, but I do pay attention to what he eats, what he craves, etc.

Children who struggle with ADD and ADHD largely process sugar differently, and also crave carbohydrates--not all the time, but often. They process calories differently, too. My husband is a BEAN pole and always has been--much higher metabolism than other men his age (40--and still wearing a size 29 waist)

Basically, I watch his carbs, which break down into simple sugars. Start observing what she says "sounds good"--he could live on potatoes and bread. I know he's headed for a bit of a meltdown when he's back and forth to the kitchen with cookies, ice creams, etc, so I really don't keep that stuff on hand, and try to have other options like cheeses, crackers, celery and peanut butter that he can process differently.

There are a LOT of good books out there about diet and ADHD--I have one at home I'd be willing to send you and I ran across it just a few days back. Often, just cutting out processed food does an amazing job since they've narrowed down two particular additives that seem to work overtime in children with these issues.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2012 :  09:41:25 AM  Show Profile
Why do I have to log in every time I come on here? It's driving me crazy already!

ANyway, to answer Stephanie, my daughter is a big problem. She is bi-polar and has depression and lots of other problems. She also has a problem with drugs and alcohol. So she will give Kansas anything anyone says she should have. Plus she doesn't deal well with teachers and all. I would pack Kansas' school lunches and make sure she eats right. Not Heather. Sge soesn't want to be bothered. She doesn't even put pj's on her at night most of the time. Or brush teeth and hair. So alot of the raising falls on me. And she's pretty much ok with that, til I start doing everything.

I don't keep alot of processed foods here. I grow or make most all we eat. Heather can't hardly stand that because she wants to just grab something to throw together or just eat out of a box. Doesn't want to have to "think" about making dinner or breakfast. It takes too much time and actual work. I cook.

Kansas is 9 years old and is in 3rd grade again. The reason is because she failed the math portion of her CRCT test last year. She was in S. Ga. at her other G'parents (for the past year) and no one on one help there. So they kept her in 3rd. And every teacher she's had has wanted her on meds to calm her down. She's all over the place disturbing other kids. They don't know how to deal with her. She's super smart and learns really fast. And the sweetest happiest little girl ever.

So while she is here, she will eat good food and drink good raw goat and cow milk. And have regular meals and snacks. And no meds.

Thanks for all the good responses. It's good to know what others are doing instead of just giving them pills. And good for your hubby, Jonni. I'll watch Kansas ans what she is craving.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

.Linz.
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Lindsey
Shippensburg Pennsylvania
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2012 :  10:18:43 AM  Show Profile
Watching gluten intake (or putting her on the GAPS diet) is a great tip.

I know there are essential oils that really help with ADD/ADHD/hyperactivity as well... lavender, cedarwood, and vetiver are the three I know of.

"Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds." - Prov. 27:23
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2012 :  11:12:28 AM  Show Profile
Kristen I just saw that you mentioned she drinks milk and it reminded me of a Dr Lendon Smith that I used to see on Dr Phils show back in the "80s. He wrote a book called Feed Your Kids Right and it was all about how nutrition affected behavior and health, it became my bible so to speak for feeding my kids. Anyway long story short one of his big things was cows milk causing hyperactivity and sleeplessness. A friend of mine was having sleep problems, as in he wouldn't, with her son and she took him off cows milk and low and behold the boy started sleeping and was calmer during the day. Just a thought. If you can find the book somewhere it is really good.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2012 :  3:10:50 PM  Show Profile
I know there is a big difference in raw and store bought milk. We only drink raw milk straight from the goat here. Kansas has been raised on this. But while she was away for a year, I'm sure she drank store milk. So right now she will be only drinking raw milk from the goats til they dry up, then cow milk from my friend.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2012 :  6:35:58 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, Im so sorry you're going through that with your daughter. I had no idea. Anyway, is the school offering any sort of therapy or assistance or are they just insisting that she be medicated? My son doesnt have ADHD, but he is mildly autistic and has trouble staying on task. He has an associate in the classroom who helps him stay focused and on task,among other things. Im not saying that she needs that type of assistance, but its just an example of what schools can provide. Best of luck and lots of hugs!

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2012 :  04:43:32 AM  Show Profile
I am going today to see about getting her redistered in school here. I will ask about this, Stephanie. Thanks. So far, none of her teachers has offered any help. They all want her on meds. It's crazy that teachers these days don't know how to deal with highly energetic children. They have stuck her in a corner by herself, made her go out in the hall. But I will be here now to check on her and even help in the classroom if I need to. Or if all else fails, I will homeschool. I have always had that in the back of my mind to do but haven't been able to yet.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2012 :  06:13:29 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Kris...I'm so sorry for Kansas. It sounds to me like exactly the experience Justin had in school which really, truly shaped "who" he is (self esteem issues et al.) now, as a 40 year old man. I want better for Kansas and many children like her. I like Stephanie's ideas--and I think it's really important for you to be her advocate because she is in a new school district. Start strong and if it doesn't get better for her, find another way. In our area, we have tons of charter schools that are smaller and more equipped to deal with children who need more specialized or different types of attention. I am really thinking of you!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2012 :  07:12:02 AM  Show Profile
Kristin - You have the right to demand a IEP meeting for your granddaughter. We have learned through bitter experience with our youngest son that we are his only advocates. Fight hard for your granddaughter not be isolated, but included with the other children. Isolation is the worst possible thing for her. They tried that with our son at his old school, which is why we moved this summer, to change districts.

You are all in my prayers. Best of luck to you.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2012 :  1:05:23 PM  Show Profile
We went this morning to get her registered. I asked my friend, who is the person who does all this, to please get her into a classroom with a teacher who will be better able to deal with her if she does get restless or too energetic. She got her in with a teacher she thinks will be the right fit! I told her I don't want Kansas to go back on any meds again. And I also filled out volunteer paperwork while there so I can go a few times a week to help out. We will also be letting her take her lunch to school. She said she didn't like school lunches, that they aren't good for her. I will take her to school tomorrow morning and meet her new teacher.

I got a flyer today in the mail about Ga. charter schools. Hmmm. I will check that out. Thanks so much y'all, for all your great advice and support for Kansas. With all she's been through, she is the sweetest little angel there ever was. She is always happy, no matter what is going on. And Jonni knows some of that. She is an amazing little girl.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

.Linz.
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Lindsey
Shippensburg Pennsylvania
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2012 :  6:21:27 PM  Show Profile
What a lovely little girl!

"Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds." - Prov. 27:23
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2012 :  08:52:33 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Lindsey. She sure is.

I took her to school this morning. Got into the school and went to the office to see where her slassroom was. My friend Helen, called and asked her teacher to send someone for us. So as we were walking down halls, some of her old teachers hugged her and said how glad they were to see her again. And when she went into her classroom, her friend form a few years back came running to her and hugged her too. This little girl is VERY energetic and talks constantly and is even on really strong ADHD meds. Not a good situation for any teacher to have 2 kids like that. I told both the teachers that Kansas is nowhere near as hyper as that little girl is. But they both looked at each other and shook their heads. I hope they can keep them apart in class. This might not be a good situation for Kansas. I will come back later and let y'all know how her first day went.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2012 :  6:48:27 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kris,
Hoping all went well with Kansas on the first few days of school. I give you alot of credit for trying to get her off the meds! Nowadays, Dr's are too quick to just say "medicate them"!
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2012 :  7:04:54 PM  Show Profile
I know. The teachers are too. They just don't know how to handle these bright happy energetic children. Just put them on meds, it's so much easier than changing the foods they eat and no computer or crappy tv shows. Keeping things calm.

Her first 2 days went great! No notes from teachers! I am not liking getting up early though. H. is off work Monday and Tuesday, thank goodness. But so far, so good.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2012 :  06:40:54 AM  Show Profile
Yay- glad all is going well so far Kris! Keep it up- you are doing a wonderful thing for Kansas!
Hugs,

~Laurie
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

Flowerfairy136
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Mary
Vicksburg Mississippi
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2012 :  11:22:44 PM  Show Profile
Is she hyperactive all the time? Or just at school when they want her to focus on her work? Can she focus on stuff if it's something she wants to do?

Farmgirl Sister #4195

May your bobbins always be full!
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2012 :  06:34:51 AM  Show Profile
Kristen, Reading this post has brought tears to my eyes. Your granddaughter is so beautiful, and so very, very blessed to have you in her life.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2012 :  7:17:28 PM  Show Profile
Mary, this child is always full of energy! She wakes up talking and doesn't stop til she falls asleep at night. Nonstop! But we haven't gotten any notes from the teachers yet! She doing really good so far.

Nicole, she has had a crazy mixed up life. But is always happy and has nice things to say about everyone all the time. She is always smiling and happy. She's a great kid. And I think we have found c=some teachers who are able to handle her and work with her.

Thanks so much for all your comments and support for Kansas.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2012 :  7:42:34 PM  Show Profile
Glad all is going well Kris- keep up the good work grandma!
Hugs,

~Laurie
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  2:51:47 PM  Show Profile
The Vice Principal called last week and wanted to meet with me and Heather about Kansas. She said they were not happy with the school in S. Ga. and them holding her back and had been testing Kansas the whole time she's been at CVE. So we went this afternoon. We were in the cinference room and there were 6 other people there besides the VP and us. 2 were her teachers and 2 were 4th grade teachers and the other 2 were the people who had been working with Kansas.

So the VP told us what all they had determined about Kansas. And she is ABOVE average! She did not fail the CRCT's last year. We still don't know why she was held back. But they were all saying what a wonderful smart bright child she is and that they recommended her going forward to 4th grade as soon as possible! They will start giving her 4th grade wrok to do in her 3rd grade class and gradually, through the next few weeks, let her go to 4th grade classes. Thanksgiving they are out a whole week, so when she goes back, she will be an official 4th grader! She is SO happy!

We also asked how she is doing in the classroom. Her teachers said she does get distracted but is easily able to get back on task. She does have to go to the bathroom a lot they said. Heather said she has to get up sevral times during the night to go to the bathroom as well. So she may need to go to a doctor about this as soon as we can get an appointment. But they didn't say they thought she should go back on the meds at all.

So things are looking up for Kansas here. I am SO glad there are people in the public school system who are looking ut for the little kids and not letting them slip through the cracks. These are professional people doing a great job there. They really care about these kids. And they especially like Kansas.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Children and medications Update Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page