Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Children and medications Update
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Children and medications Update Next Topic
Page: of 2

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2012 :  3:09:53 PM  Show Profile
Kris-
SO happy to see this wonderful update on Kansas! Congratulations you to for sticking to your guns and helping her. I am sure that Heather is thrilled with this new also.
Congratulations to your new little 4th Grader!Wahooooo!
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

MtnGrlByTheBay
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

Erin
Lexington Park MD
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2012 :  05:43:04 AM  Show Profile
I'm a little late to this post, but I hope things continue to go well. I'm sure your family dynamic has its challenges. I will say that a lot of teachers are A LOT more patient with children if the chidren's caregiver puts effort into the child's education too. You know... takes a community to raise a child? As a former teacher, and parent of a boy with his "bad days," I see this challenge from both sides. Teachers are way more willing to fight (their own impatience) for a child, if they know they have a reasonable and supportive family fighting along with her/him.

^^^I'm a RidgeRunner, and will always feel best when surrounded by the PA mountains.^^^

www.lastlapgang.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2012 :  06:14:48 AM  Show Profile
Erin, she's doing great in school. She has brought home 2 report cards so far all with A's and B's. No notes being sent home about her energy. Just that she forgets some things, like her homework assignments. But that's only benn a few times. She is a good kid. And so loving and happy.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2012 :  09:00:19 AM  Show Profile
Kris, what wonderful news about Kansas. And KUDOs to you for being such a strong advocate.
I have ADD that has never been treated. ( I'm 61). Over my many years I have tried many ways to compensate for my learning difficulties. Anyway, something that has always helped me is to write down assignments in an assignment note book that I checked every day and check them off when I completed the and crossed them out when I turned them in. I have also structured my clothes/closets because I have difficulty getting it all together to get dressed in the morning. If you knew me, you probably never guess I have ADD but it takes great emotional strength to keep it all together and to focus. You are doing a great job. So glad they moved Kansas to 4th grade. Bless you for the difference you are making in your grand-daughters life. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2012 :  07:20:39 AM  Show Profile
I am a children's therapist and a mother of 6. All of my children are ADD in some form or another. I work in community mental health so I have mixed feelings about medication. First I don't reccommend Aderall as a first choice of medication. Vyvance is a good option because it is not a controled medication and is not a stimulant. Diet can play a huge part in a child's behavior and red dye is BAD for sure. One thing I can say is that evvironment is HUGE! Kids with ADHD have to have a very black and white form of discipline. Unfortunatly corpral punishment rarly works with childen who have ADHD and conduct disorders. Another issue with ADHD is task completion because 70% of children can't learn the way schools teach. A strategy I use with these children is an egg timer. Have the child sit for 15 minutes and work on the same task until the timer goes off, then have them "run around" for 15 to 30 minutes depending on the child. Sometimes ADHD is a coping mechanism...

It's all good!

http://mscountrygirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2012 :  07:44:45 AM  Show Profile
Thank you both for such good suggestions for Kansas. We'll have to try each one.

I picked Kansas up from school Friday because I was in town. Went to her classroom to get her. While she was getting her things together (and we would have to stop constantly and ask her what she was forgetting or...) I asked the teacher how she was doing. She just kind of shook her head and said she wasn't really doing very good. I don't understand her report cards then. She said Kansas is not doing good in math at all. And has a lot of trouble concentrating and doing her work in class. She said after the winter break, they are going to ask for another meeting. I know what they'll be telling Heather. That Kansas needs to be on medication. I don't know if I'll be going to this one. I am very upset right now that this is happeneing. I wosh now that they had left things alone. Her 3rd grade teacher was really good and did not have a problem with kansas. So well. see in a few weeks what's going to happen.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

desperadosdream
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Malena
Versailles Indiana
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2012 :  2:44:53 PM  Show Profile
Oh Kristin
I really hate to hear that Kansas isn't doing well. I will hoe and pray that everything will work out well for all of you in the year ahead. In the meantime please try not to worry and enjoy your holidays with her and the rest of your family. I know that is easier said than done but I also know that tomorrows worries can destroy todays joys.

Malena
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2012 :  10:45:50 AM  Show Profile
If Kansas isn't put on a stimulant medication isn't really a big deal. There are also natural remedies like SAM-E. In my expereince some teachers work better with ADHD kids than others.

It's all good!

http://mscountrygirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2012 :  10:40:04 AM  Show Profile
Kristin, Sorry I have not been keeping up to date on FG lately. I sooo know your dilema. Both of my boys are ADHD and we went thru a lot to get them stable and doing better in school. Give in half way, go to a doctor and have her diagnosed correctly. Check into the natural health food store and see what they have to offer. You CAN control some of the problems with vitamins and food. Many people have allergies that they do not know of and it can cause some hyperactivity problems, others may have gluten or casin allergies and that can cause more problems. One thing that I ask you is does Kansas have a huge thirst all the time? If she does and she is using the bathroom that much it could be a sugar problem like diabetes. If she is having bowel problems try to soothe that and it may take some of her problems away, that was part of my youngest's problem. So many things that we take for granted can cause issues to happen. Feel free to contact me directly if you would like anymore information.

Merry Christmas and thanks for being such a great role model for grandparents

God bless,

Judy
Farmgirl #3666

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2013 :  2:23:01 PM  Show Profile
I was at Whole Foods the other day and found some Attentive Child for Kansas. I talked to the lady there about the Sam-E and she said she's never heard about that for children. So she showed me what they have. I got a bottle and we started Kansas on it about 5 days ago. I do believe I see a little bit of difference in her. We shall see how she does at school, which starts back tomorrow!!! I am so thankful that her mom only worked a total of 3 whole days this whole 2 weeks of Christmas break! And I only have to get her on the bus 2 mornings this week too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2013 :  6:05:40 PM  Show Profile
Prayers going up for Kansas, and you and Heather. I hope that this can all be worked out without medication.
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2013 :  07:11:54 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad you see some improvement. One thing that I have my children (clients and my own kids) do is squeeze a ball or play with a pipe cleaner, ect when they have to focus on listening to something. If hands are busy often they can think. I am looking into doing my doctoral thesis on using this as a stratagy for these kids.

It all comes back to the ground!

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2013 :  08:48:01 AM  Show Profile
Good idea, Michelle. Thanks. We will have to try this.

Thanks so much, Laurie.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Children and medications Update Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page