Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Greatest Generation Next Topic  

forever young
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Peggy
Pineville Mo
40 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2012 :  07:11:03 AM  Show Profile
I am earning my last merit badge for the Greatest Generation and would like to share my joy of knowing someone of this era.
My friend Jerry was born in 1924. He is a World War 11 Veteran. I have spent alot of time with him talking about his years of growing up, the changes in the world that he has lived through. he lived through part of the great depression which had a lasting effect on him. I have learned so much about the 30's & 40's music, people I never knew existed. It has truly been a pleasure.
I made a Veteran's blanket for him, the top middle is flags, the side strips tiny blue stars and red flannel backing. He is so proud of this, no one in his family ever wanted to talk about his service time. In Nov. I am taking him to Branson, Mo for a few days of Veteran's weeek. I feel so honored having a special friendship with a man from the Greatest Generation and me being a Baby Boomer.
Peggy

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2012 :  09:09:39 AM  Show Profile
Peggy! What a wonderful thing you are doing. I remember stories my Dad told me of WWII. Have a wonderful time in Branson with your Veteran friend.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2012 :  09:54:37 AM  Show Profile
How wonderful for you and him. It is fascinating to imagine the changes in the world during his life!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3464 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3464 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2012 :  8:34:52 PM  Show Profile
What great stories from wonderful people born in the era, I too have a grandmother born in 1925 whom I hear all the stories from. I just love them all.

Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2012 :  10:21:04 PM  Show Profile
What a great thing you are doing. I remember the stories my mother told me about WWII and what my own family went through during that time. And ofcourse before that the depression, my grandparents had a very difficult time to keep things going, but my granddaddy did everything he could do to keep his family feeded and warm enough :) I am very lucky that my brother knows a lot of stories about my grandparents during WWII

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hugs from Marian/Dutchy

(Formerly living in the Netherlands, but now I live in Thailand *__*)

http://pinkprincessinthailand.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

forever young
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Peggy
Pineville Mo
40 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2012 :  07:12:47 AM  Show Profile
Thank You all for the kind words and sharing your memories with me.
I love reading the books written about the Greatest Generation that Tom Brokaw has written, Joe Bonsal about his parents, GI Joe & Lilie.
It's from an era that had hard times, but everyone pulled together to help each other survive.
It reminds me so much about the things we as Farmgirls do. We help each other and pull together, give each other encouragement.

Many Blessings,
Peggy
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13639 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13639 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2012 :  08:35:18 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
We have a friend who turned 90 in February (born in 1922), a lady who has the absolute best sense of humor, love for people and love for God. Her short term memory is failing her these days so that she can't remember how old she is but she always remembers when she was born. When we visit her I go to her calendar for the next year and, on her birthdate, write down how old she will be that day. She also has a notecard I wrote to her some time ago taped to the inside of front door where she can see it and be reminded of our friendship every time she leaves her apartment. When I talk to her she always reminds me to pet my dog for her and scratch her (the dog) where her tail attaches to her body because she can't reach it herself . . . makes me laugh!
When we visit her we just laugh and share and have the best time! I got a letter just yesterday from her . . . several pages from a little notepad. What a treat! A visit with her is so uplifting and refreshing!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2012 :  10:17:39 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Peggy! Thank you for making the blanket, for taking the trip to Branson, for honoring this hero.

Love writing about "My Field Days"
www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

forever young
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Peggy
Pineville Mo
40 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2012 :  4:25:54 PM  Show Profile
I love Honoring our Veterans. My brother gave his life in the Vietnam War. He served two terms, he loved our country and wanted to spend the rest of his life in the Military. So I have a soft spot for our Vets.
One thing that I will always remember is when I was at the VA Hospital taking my friend. We was in the lobby, one of the Volunteers annouced that we should all stand, because a Veteran was going home. Little did I know that Veteran had passed away. They brought him down on a stretcher covered with the most the beautiful quilt with the American colors. It was one of the most touching tributes I had ever experinced.
That gave me the idea of making my friend a Veterans blanket so he can stay warm and cozy whie he is alive. Someday I would love to make blankets for Veterans coming home disabled.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2012 :  7:46:56 PM  Show Profile
Great thing you are doing! My father in law rarely speaks of his time in the Pacific during WWII but when he does it blows our socks off. He is so soft spoken and strong at 86, they do not make them like that anymore. A real hero and does not want to think so.

Farmgirl #31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2012 :  08:20:06 AM  Show Profile
Jeannie, my Dad served in WWII, and he rarely spoke of his service. But, like your FIL, when he did, the stories were touching. My Dad was my hero!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2012 :  11:51:21 AM  Show Profile
My dad was 2nd wave storming the Normany beaches. He shared some things, but was quiet about a lot of it. Have been blessed to have gparents, great aunts and uncles around thru a good part of my life so I could hear their stories.

We truly have No Clue how blessed we are these days, even in spite of the many difficulties and life issues we encounter today.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Homestead Dreams
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Carrie
Stephens City VA
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  05:47:29 AM  Show Profile
Peggy,
That is really awesome what you are doing!!!

http://spiritualhomesteading.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl #3028
Go to Top of Page
  Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Greatest Generation Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page