neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2012 :  11:14:24 AM  Show Profile
Would fellow sisters share their thoughts on how they find time to sew? I know if you want something badly enough you find a way. I wistfully dream of finding time to sew and it just doesn't happen. I work full-time and life is so hectic there's just no TIME ! Let's face it, if you carve out time for ANY hobby, something else has to go. Partially done projects sitting in a pile are tugging at me. I'm having a hard time fitting it into an already hectic schedule. Please share what you do to find time to sew.

Shabby lil Farmgirl
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Nicola
Fowlerville Mi
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2012 :  03:06:36 AM  Show Profile
I haven't had a sewing room in a few years and find it hard to get any done. I am in the process of buying a little old farmhouse and plan to make the laundry room into a sewing room then I can leave my machines set up and hope to be able to at least get in there for about 15 mins per day.

I'm the same with knitting. My Nanny used to knit everyday. She wouldn't pick up her work until all her chores were done! She did at least 10 rows per day but usually ended up doing so much more!

I suppose you have to make a hobby a priority, but I am not quite there yet. Always something else needs doing with the kids or around the house.

Busy Making Lemonade with all the Lemons that life gives me... Finally tasting sweet!!!
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2012 :  06:35:12 AM  Show Profile
I take comfort knowing I'm not the only one! I have the best of intentions but seems to always be on the back burner. I don't want to wait until I'm retired to some sewing ! Trying to come up with some creative avenues for at least doing some a couple days a week. Good luck to you, the old farmhouse sounds wonderful !
Go to Top of Page

Annette Kath
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Annette
Carlock IL
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2012 :  06:38:48 AM  Show Profile
Hello Anita,

I have a full schedule too and have difficulty finding the time to sew and work on projects! I am a stay-at-home Mom w/4 kids ages 3-13. The youngest is the only one at home during the day and I work 3 nights a week. I sometimes make a list of what I want/need to get done regarding my crafts. Sometimes it helps to put a timetable on something, sort of challenges me to get it done. I fine Fall/Winter a good time to work on crafts, esp at night.

What kind of sewing preojects do you have piled up? I do alot of quilting in Fall/Winter.

Annette
Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2012 :  07:59:55 AM  Show Profile
I've suffered from insomnia since I was seven. That's the only way I get *anything* done!

A hook, a book, and a good cup of coffee....
Go to Top of Page

Ms. Treadle
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Leigh-Ann
Northwest Mississippi
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2012 :  4:12:32 PM  Show Profile
Thank goodness I'm not the only one who has trouble fitting in sewing to the day! I wish I had a good answer for you!

The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary. ~Mary Kurtz

Farmgirl Sister # 1178
www.thevioletfirefly.com
Go to Top of Page

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2012 :  2:56:47 PM  Show Profile
I read where a woman made a dress by just sewing one seam a day. That is all the time she had so she made sure to sew one seam every day. It may take a while but it probably gets done faster than waiting until you have an hour to spare.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2012 :  10:33:43 PM  Show Profile
Sewing with Nancy suggests to sew for 20 minutes a day. Still have to yet get to it.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, Herbalist, Master Energy Intuitive

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2012 :  06:21:04 AM  Show Profile
I'm in the same boat you are and have not yet found a resolution. Everything else takes precedence. I like the idea of making one seam a day, but the key is to keep that sewing area clutter free so you can sit down and get it done without cleaning each time. That's a problem I struggle with...the busier I get, I tend to not put things away like I should.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.

"Look deep into Nature, and then you will understand everything better."--Albert Einstein
"A meal of bread, cheese and beer constitutes the perfect food." --Queen Elizabeth I
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2012 :  09:02:21 AM  Show Profile
Annette I started a sunbonnet sue quilt two years ago for my mom ! just had carpal tunnel surgery yesterday but really want to make grandson's halloween costume, don't know if I can manage it. Store bought costumes are such poor quality. Oh well I'm sure it doesn't matter to him that much! the usual pile of mending is still there. Really got into the hex making mood afer reading Mary Jane's book!
Go to Top of Page

Flowerfairy136
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Mary
Vicksburg Mississippi
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2012 :  9:12:18 PM  Show Profile
I'm so terrible about getting all excited about a new project and buy all the stuff and start it then never get around to working on it anymore. I must have at least 6 goin on right now. Usually when I can't sleep at night I get up and sew and that's usually how I get anything done, but we just moved to a new house and lazy me hasn't even unpacked my sewing stuff so I can't even do that!

Farmgirl Sister #4195

May your bobbins always be full!
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2012 :  05:02:36 AM  Show Profile
I find myself feeling guilty doing crafts if I know there are chores etc that need to be done!
So then I end up doing neither!!! ; )

I know women before us somehow managed to multi task a bit better? For the life of me tho? Can't seem to get their knack!

I am sure there is a middle of the road plan somewhere!
I am a work in progress!

Hugs,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Chelley
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Mesa AZ
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2012 :  2:57:58 PM  Show Profile
I love the idea of just sewing one seam a day, or knitting just 10 rows. I get my yard work, chores, even my walking done by telling myself I only need to do them for 10 minutes at a time (I'm usually out of energy by then.) I don't know why I never thought of applying the same thing to my sewing/knitting. Sometimes all I can think to myself is "dah!" (but in a kind way with a smile on my face.)

Blessings,
Chelley

...green smoothies...deep breathing...less stress...daily walks...laughter...all good things for radiant health and well-being.
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2012 :  3:56:57 PM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
Linda I have the same problem, then I become overwhelm with not getting anything done.So my free time is really nonproductive. Any ideas on how to fix this, or me would be greatly appreciated! Roxanna
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2012 :  5:33:25 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I am in the same boat as you ladies... add in the fact that I also have to be in the mood... lol

Julie
Farmgirl #399

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2013 :  1:58:13 PM  Show Profile
I feel ya' sister! I used to sew all the time when I lived in town and worked 3rd shift. (I could take my portable sewing machine with me and sew - I was a dispatcher) These days, I am having trouble getting motivated. I spent all day Sunday clearing out that room because it had become the catch-all since we moved in.
DH and I went in the sewing room last night and cut fabric for corn hole bags to make and sell. I am trying to carve out about 30 minutes 3-4 times per week to sew or do crafty stuff. Last night we spent about that cutting. DH says if I can get them sewn up, he will fill them during the day while I'm at work, then I can sew them shut when I get home. And now that he knows how to cut them, he can cut more fabric when he done filling the others.
The bad part is that I have a list of 'want-to's' that I haven't even begun to start! I would say start small - set up your area one evening, cut out pattern/project the next evening then start sewing bit by bit for a few minutes any chance you get. It really does help to have a dedicated organized area. Mine is dedicated, but now where near organized! Good luck!

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com www.farmallchick.blogspot.com www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Littleredd
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Patty
Norwich NY
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  05:13:31 AM  Show Profile
Don't look at it as a 'craft' sometimes I think that's our downfall....remember what you are doing is a life skill and it's not really indulgent, it's keeping alive something that has numerous benefits to the heart and mind! Don't give up. Pick a time to stop for the day and as it was said above, even if it's only 20 minutes, or 10, do a little bit at a time. I've been working on patching some jeans for 3 days now......one seam at a time!

The tortoise wins the race right? We forget sometimes that the speed at which we accomplish some things is often very unimportant.

"Come to the cliff, " He said. "We are afraid," they said. "Come to the cliff," He said. They came. He pushed them. And they flew.

The Fearless Farmgirl
www.fearlessfarmgirl.blogspot.com
https://twitter.com/#!/Fearlessfarmgrl
Farmgirl Sister #2106
Go to Top of Page

marshaspaniel
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

marsha
chicago Illinois
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2013 :  8:48:28 PM  Show Profile
yep, I think my main problem is setting up and putting away!! Even though my cute little Featherweight machine only weighs about eight pounds! I used to sew all of the time, had a pile of projects and would rip right through them! I started making jewely and can hardly get back to sewing. Maybe this year!!
Go to Top of Page

marshaspaniel
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

marsha
chicago Illinois
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2013 :  8:51:42 PM  Show Profile
Lora,
what are corn hole bags??
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2013 :  08:14:46 AM  Show Profile
Hello again!
Oh my goodness, Ladies! Each of you has touched on every thought I have had as well!
: )
I gave up crafting, sewing, knit/crochet , embroidery many years ago!
As a teen I did it all the time! Always had some work in my hand it seemed?
Then marriage, kids, work, housekeeping, divorce and single-parenting and I just gave any hobbies all up. Never enough hours in the day and when I had time to sit and relax? That's what I wanted to do....just relax.

Now in my retirement years........I am now in an apt and I am trying to take things up again. I enjoy knitting. Starting to learn counted cross stitch (had the pre printed canvas years back!! Lol). I very much want to sew again? Finding sewing a bit stressful tho?
Patterns seem a bit more complicated than they used too and I'm having never ending bobbin problems!

This retired body and bones has better days than others too and that's a factor as well!

I think in today's times? We have sooo many more distractions than maybe our gmas did back in the day!
My daughter reminded me of something the other day that some of you have touched on here?
Back in the day I think ladies were always working on something. In the evenings after chores, they would pick up whatever project being worked on....whether knitting, sewing etc. It may have been just a seam or a few rows but things got accomplished steps at a time.

I think today as well, most of us have ( I know I do) that all or nothing frame of mind?
That want it now feeling? Maybe attempting bits at a time each day is the answer!
Eventually we get closer to our goal that way, anyway?!

Here's good luck and good thoughts to each of us as we try and find what works for our personal situations!

I know that each of us are enjoying the 'trying' process to find out.
Hope everyone has a good day! : )

Farmgirl blessings,
Linda

Country at Heart

Edited by - prayin granny on Feb 15 2013 08:17:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Katlady93
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

Charlotte
Denmark SC
USA
361 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2013 :  09:58:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Katlady93 a Yahoo! Message
the bad thing is i KNOW that once i actully put foot to pedal and start, i will lose myself in sewing. lose track of time, enjoy myself tremendously, and get a lot done.

i just can't seem to sit down and get that first stitch done.

Some dreams are worth the risk it takes to make them real.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footsteps on the moon.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4178 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4178 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2013 :  1:22:15 PM  Show Profile
I find I get more done when I make a list. Keeps me on track. Sometimes I actually set aside X amount of minutes to do something for myself. I do like to have my chores done before I do that.
It is hard. But if it some something you want to do you will find the time.

good luck
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2013 :  2:26:48 PM  Show Profile
It's a matter of priorities. Set some, and put your peace and pleasure at the top of the list. You're allowed! If you must, think of it as taking care of your health so you can better take care of others. :)
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

1979 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
1979 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2013 :  07:11:20 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Zeiman has a book called "10,20,30 minutes to Sew". There might be hints and ideas in it for those who don't have much time to sew or do other crafts.

Nancy has a web site for her store. Just search Nancy Zeiman. Her store is in Wisconsin. She also has a PBS TV show. You can watch many of her shows on the internet.

Lavender Rose

Each day we add to our legacy--good or bad.
Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  7:13:48 PM  Show Profile
If you are like I was working and raising a family there didn't seem to be time to sew. I put my machine in the laundry room so I could mend when the clothes were clean. The other thing you might try is to put yourself on the calendar like you were a doctor's appointment. We tend to make those a priority. Make yourself a priority even if it is only once a week. You will feel satisfied about being able to sew and indeed get something done. Happy sewing.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2013 :  05:58:39 AM  Show Profile
I hear ya, too! I start and stop. I'm a busy mom and also blog, knit, garden, and teach knitting classes. Sewing isn't something I find I can do quickly or in snippets of time, either. Love it, though.

Hugs,

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Finding time to sew Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic