laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2013 :  6:24:12 PM  Show Profile
I would LOVE to learn to sew- I mean really sew. I would like to take classes at our local shop- which I just may do come fall, when things settle down a bit. I just think it would be so neat to be able to make pretty much anything that I want/need!

Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds that you plant.
~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - May 03 2013 :  08:14:11 AM  Show Profile
Well to update since I was home with surgery I found time to sew several things, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Now I'm home more due to debilitating arthritis, but I don't let it stop me too much, it gave me time to do swaps, some small sewing projects and it has actually been a blessing in disguise :-)

Farmgirl #522
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1509 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1509 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2013 :  07:32:34 AM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
That is great Anita! Probably took you mind off of the pain. :) I struggle finding time as well. I make most of my children's clothing, but not nearly enough. I have totes of fabric I had plans for.

Many Blessings- Alicia
http://dandeelionrose.blogspot.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

Lady McBeth
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Beth
Cleveland TX
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2013 :  06:23:11 AM  Show Profile
I think someone above touched on that fact that we need to stop thinking of sewing, knitting etc as a hobby. For me sewing is part of my life, something I did every day for years. I clothed myself and my daughter all the way to their wedding gowns and bridesmaid dresses and waistcoats for the grooms and fathers of the brides. Sewing is a skill and one that is going away. Consider it something you do for your family and your home. Something you are proud of and good at instead of something you tinker with. Also, it does help if you can set up your machine and leave it. I took over the breakfast area in my house, the machine was on a special table my Dad built into the bay window and the ironing board never went away. My husband complained for a couple of years but finally gave up complaining because he knew it was never going away. When the girls left home I took over the whole den area with a big cutting table and rocker to sit in while I did hand work. Now my circumstances have changed and I have a tiny house with no place to put my machine up. I miss it terribly. Worked all day yesterday arranging the tiny bedroom for a sewing room. But where to set up the machine and where will I cut fabric. Will have to work that out.

When I count my Blessings I count my horse twice.
Go to Top of Page

carolj
True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Carol
Waynesboro Georgia
USA
244 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2013 :  11:04:49 AM  Show Profile
As I read these wonderful suggestions about making time for our "hobbies," I can hear my grandmother saying, "We all have time." She meant we each have exactly 24 hours in a day. I think the problem comes from the times we live in. We are all busy. Many of us by necessity or choice work outside the home, and though we've been a society of working women since before I was born, we still have this battle between being "career women" and homemakers; we still want it "all," and we still feel guilty that we can't do it all perfectly. (Please excuse me if I have been presumptuously all-inclusive.)

My point is we should not feel guilty about taking time to do things we enjoy doing. (My brother has never felt guilty about one minute he has spent on the golf course, nor my husband one minute he has spent in his shop.) I'm learning that I need just to do it, whatever it is, and embrace the process.

Another thing I'm learning is to admit that I am not required to continue to do things that no longer give me pleasure. If I ever tire of crocheting, I can pass my yarn and hooks to someone who wants to take up the hobby. You get the idea.

Sow what you want to reap.
Go to Top of Page

HolidayJunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Michelle
Northglenn Colorado
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2013 :  11:56:21 AM  Show Profile
I must admit, I also feel guilty when I do sit down to sew or craft and still have "housework" I could be doing. I use to not be like that, but I find it being more and more of a problem for me. But I'm trying to make myself just do it again. Little pieces of time here and there. My friends are noticing even that my creative mojo is back! I love that feeling when I do get something done, so I have to remind myself of that.

Blog: http://confessionsofaholidayjunkie.blogspot.com/

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/holidayjunkie/
Go to Top of Page

Katlady93
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

Charlotte
Denmark SC
USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2013 :  10:34:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Katlady93 a Yahoo! Message
i finally started sewing again after about 10 months hiatus. i hadn't sewed since DH had his stroke.
Sunday, for some reason, i started cleaning. (this is not something i usually do, DH is much,much better at it than i am) anyway as i worked my way through the house, i wound up at the sewing machine table, i started cleaning around it, washed the tables, swept up good, (i hate it when the dog sheds). before i knew it, i had the machine all threaded up and was sewing. not without hiccups, had to mess with the bobbins and the upper tension, and other stuff. i think she was mad becasue i had neglected her for so long. and i finally finished the new curtains for the camper!!! i had started them August 25, the day DH had the stroke. have to be washed and pressed and then they will go into Buttercup. i am laready working on the seat cushions. i guess i jsut had to work through all the issues from the stroke and stress of that. it felt so good to be creating something again. it really, really did.

Some dreams are worth the risk it takes to make them real.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footsteps on the moon.
Go to Top of Page

Scruboak
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Suzan
Wetmore Colorado
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2013 :  11:55:52 AM  Show Profile
I love to sew but also have trouble making the time. Just to give you an idea....I started a lovely little dress for spring back in January. I just realized that the 7 pounds I've gained since I started the darn thing make that dress awfully tight. Groan! Really love the one seam a day idea.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." -- Rumi
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2013 :  04:29:36 AM  Show Profile
Oh Charlotte I'm so glad you got your little curtains done, doesn't it feel good to get a project finished and you know it's going to be put to good use. LOVE IT! Made a novelty apron for my daughter, she flipped over it and loves it, so rewarding to make things for others too. My grandson looks so adorable in little cotton button up shirts, hope I can sew a couple for him, wouldn't take much fabric at all (size 5) but I'm a little nervous about button holes! Suzan I hope you can get into that little dress, sounds adorable! So much fabric.....so little time...LOL :-)

Farmgirl #522
Go to Top of Page

Katlady93
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

Charlotte
Denmark SC
USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2013 :  5:52:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Katlady93 a Yahoo! Message
i hate doing button holes, they never come out right. and my machine has a magical button hole maker. and they still don't come out quite right. if you got them to work right once Anita you can do it again. especially since you have inspiration in your GS.

Some dreams are worth the risk it takes to make them real.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footsteps on the moon.
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2013 :  08:17:00 AM  Show Profile
I've had to go through my fabric and getting rid of a bunch, I dread it but maybe if I organize and clean up my sewing area I'll be more apt to sit and finish some projects. Keeping fabric and sewing notions organized is quite a chore in itself, I have things stored in big plastic bins which works ok but not exactly attractive all stacked up. I'd love to have some muslin or linen fabric covered boxes to store and organize. Researched online but everything I've seen is small dimensions and I need BIG boxes so they just won't do and very expensive, so dream on.....:-)

Farmgirl #522
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2013 :  08:12:24 AM  Show Profile
Cleaned out sewing area and much better but still not quite where I need it to be but at least an improvement. Got rid of a bunch of fabric I knew I wouldn't be using so hopefully go to someone who will use and enjoy it.

Farmgirl #522
Go to Top of Page

cozie lady
True Blue Farmgirl

58 Posts

Amy
Mt Pleasant MI
USA
58 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2013 :  09:37:55 AM  Show Profile

I am up 2 1/2 to 3 hours before I go to work. I used to clean house make dinner prepartions and what not. Now that I have an empty nest I have been working on my craft projects. It is a nice start to my day, only problem is I have to remember to watch the clock so that I am not late for work. I also make a list on my chalkboard with completion dates, don't always make it but I give it a good try.

amy r
sister #4186
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2013 :  04:35:21 AM  Show Profile
How I wish I was an "early bird", I mean I don't sleep in really, up by 6:00 but I use to work with a lady whose husband got up for work very early so she'd get up with him and sew for a couple hours before going to work at 8. She made the cutest quilted bags and wallets (similar to Vera Bradley bags) and would sell them at work. I guess it's kind of like exercise you just have to make time for it if you really want to do it.

Farmgirl #522
Go to Top of Page

carolj
True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Carol
Waynesboro Georgia
USA
244 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2013 :  06:58:45 AM  Show Profile
Just re-read all of these hoping someone would have a magic button. lol. Aren't we all birds of a feather! I did think of two more ideas that may help.

1. Set a timer. Sometimes if I have trouble starting or a limited amount of time to work on a project this helps me. I often find ten minutes spent on something dreaded gets me motivated to finish. If I have a limited amount of time to spend on something I want to do, setting a timer frees me from worrying about looking at the clock. This is not my original idea, but I am grateful to the author of whatever book or article I read it in.

2. I met a quilter/shop owner once who told me she threaded six needles and quilted until they were empty. She usually stopped after the six because that way she "didn't get sick of it."

Hope these help.

Blessings,

Carol

Farmgirl 1823

Sow what you want to reap.
Go to Top of Page

cozie lady
True Blue Farmgirl

58 Posts

Amy
Mt Pleasant MI
USA