soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2012 :  07:44:02 AM  Show Profile
I've seen posts about this here before, so I know you girls can help me.

I would like to vacuum seal our rice and beans in canning jars. The method I'd seen here was using the oven, but I've been unable to find a) the original posts, and b)anything that does not use a foodsaver vacuum sealer on the internet.

If anyone could please post directions, I'd be very grateful! Thank you!

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2012 :  6:48:46 PM  Show Profile
I am looking for the same recipe. HOpe someone will post the directions.
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2012 :  9:44:20 PM  Show Profile
It was heating up the dry ingredients in the oven (200 degrees) and then putting a previously simmered lid on them and a ring. They cool down and seal on their own.

Be sure to put a towel on the cookie sheet under the jars. Use potholders! Take them out one at the time. Don't bang the jars on the counter or each other.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2012 :  11:05:28 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Angie! Next question - how long do you heat up the rice, beans, cornmeal, etc.?

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Go to Top of Page

gardenmouse
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Beth
Porterville CA
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2013 :  6:30:04 PM  Show Profile
Hello ladies,

It's been a while since I've posted here. So I'm reading and trying to catch up.

I just did a batch of "oven canning" today. After reading several blogs on this subject and doing a little research of my own, this is what I have come up with: Sterilize and dry your canning jar, place your food in the jar, load filled jars (without lids) into cool oven onto a cookie sheet. Set oven temperature to 200 degrees. Once the oven gets up to 200 degrees, set timer for one hour. This is where my research kicks in: According to a cooperative extension website I found, the temperature of the food must reach 140 degrees to kill any bugs, weevils, etc. So I use a meat thermometer to test the temperature. Heating time will vary. My cornmeal (pint jars) was ready a little after the hour was up, while my pinto beans (quart jars) took a little over an hour and a half. While your jars of food are heating, place your jar lids in a pan of water as you would for regular canning and simmer. Once your jars of food reach 140 degrees, pull them out of the oven one at a time or pull the whole batch out on the cookie sheet. (I have my hubby do this for me.) Wipe the jar rims to make sure there is no food on them. Dry the lids with a clean towel and center on jar openings. Screw on the bands fairly tight. Let cool, and the jars will seal. Important: Leave the bands on to store your food.

I have done several batches in the oven over the past couple of months, and all have sealed. Yay! So far I've done rice, pinto beans, black beans, navy beans, lentils, cornmeal, bread flour, elbow macaroni, spiral egg noodles, and spaghetti. The spaghetti was not as successful as the others. I had trouble breaking it evenly to get it to fit in the jars, and there was a lot of airspace because of the inconsistent lengths.

So what is everyone oven canning? Any tips for making it easier? Do you sterilize your jars or just do a regular wash?

Edited by - gardenmouse on Mar 10 2013 7:40:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2013 :  08:22:47 AM  Show Profile
Beth - your answer is just what I was looking for! Thank you!

Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2013 :  08:31:15 AM  Show Profile
Oh, and to answer your question...
I run my jars through my dishwasher, and then put them in a 250* oven til their ready to use. I'm a sworn believer in hot process canning (hot product, hot jars, hot lids, hot water and/or pressure).
Canning grains and beans is new to me, and I really like the idea of bringing the product up to temperature, but not so hot as to destroy the value of the food. I have a timer with a temperature probe that I can insert into the food in these jars, and it will do all the "hard" work for me. Thanks again for such useful info!

Go to Top of Page

gardenmouse
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Beth
Porterville CA
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2013 :  08:50:07 AM  Show Profile
You're welcome! Glad I could help. I'm concerned about destroying the nutritional value of food also. While 140* kills off pests in your food, I think I have read that 140* is also the temperature that starts killing off the nutrition in our food. So there's a fine balance. I guess we just need to keep close track of the temp and pull our jars from the oven when it reaches 140*.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Rice and Beans in Canning Jars Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page