82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2012 :  12:17:44 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone know anything about Coal burning stoves? Good or bad? Are they dirty? Do they smell? We have a wood stove but are thinking about coal. Thanks

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13640 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13640 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2012 :  12:53:13 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Laura,
We don't currently have a coal stove but I grew up with one in our farmhouse (we also had a fireplace in another part of our farmhouse) and my hubby and I had one in our log house that burned down.(The coal stove had nothing to do with it burning down).
We have also had woodstoves and they both have their pros and cons.

The upside of coal is that it is warm, and you can stoke it for long periods of time, including overnight. It is nice heat. From our experience with both I believe coal makes less ash that you have to clean out of the stove. But, unless a stove is designed to burn coal DON'T burn coal in it. Because of the characteristic that coal retains heat means it will heat up the grate more and for longer periods of time than wood and could cause damage to your stove, or get your entire stove too hot and then you've got a fire hazard.

BUT, it does create soot and, if you don't watch the coal dust it can make smelly smoke.

We currently have a pellet stove and really like it because it IS cleaner, less ash and dust all through the house than either coal or wood, but it does take electricty and pellets to run. So one has to decide what they want and what they're willing to pay for.

HOWEVER, if we only had a choice between wood or coal we'd probably choose coal, knowing that we CAN burn wood in most coal stoves and we DO have a coal mine not too far away. It's hard to decide what to do so I hope this helps and wish you the best on your decision.
Whatever you do, stay warm!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Sep 30 2012 12:53:44 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Coal burning stoves?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly