SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2012 :  7:35:19 PM  Show Profile
Though I may be in denial, winter is marching closer and closer! I am just looking for some ideas. . .

We live in the house that we do as a condition of my husband's employment, and thus it's included in his pay. So we don't own it (obviously!) Here we are in Vermont and it gets VERY cold. Our heat is fuel oil (hot water baseboard heaters)which is very expensive. Last year we lowered the heat to cold in the house and used one of those electric oil-filled radiator style space heaters in the room which we were in. This lowered the cost a bit, but the house was always cold. Yes, we bundled up all winter long, but truthfully that's kind of a pain to always be coooooold except when in the car! So I'm thinking about maybe an additional heater.

Anyone have experience with another type of heater (electric) ? Thanks! :)

http://troutwife.blogspot.com/

Annette Kath
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Annette
Carlock IL
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2012 :  8:42:49 PM  Show Profile
Dear Shelia,

Are you able to seal the windows with plastic to cut back any drafts. A girlfriend and I did this to our apartment years ago and it really worked! Our neighbors were so jealous that we had thought of it and they didn't.

Annette
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  04:47:15 AM  Show Profile
Yes, we do seal the windows with plastic, and you're right, it does cut out a lot of drafts! :)

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  05:17:46 AM  Show Profile
Those radiant heaters are supposed to heat a lot and keep the house warm and for only $1 a day. We have one. But it's in the dining room. It's right under the thermostat so it helped from keeping the heat pump from kicking on so much. But as for cheaper? Still out on that one. My parents got the fireplace looking heater that the Amish make. And they also have the radiant heater. Their light bill was only around $130 all winter here. If you were to have one in a room, it would owrk better.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  05:52:22 AM  Show Profile
Sheila, this is a timely discussion!!! I have gas heat and it can get SO pricey!!!! My bill in the winter runs about 400 a month for a house just under 1000 sq foot, even with new windows. Yesterday, I bought one of those "looks like a cast iron vintage stove" but is electric from QVC because it was SUCH a good deal and I've been coveting the ones in Plow and Hearth for years, but can't justify the cost or something else comes up. http://www.qvc.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10251&catalogId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=V31856&upsh=1&sc=CSWB

My mother has 2, and they can actually heat you right out of the room. The larger version heats 400 sq. feet, so I'm hoping, with the aid of leaving doors open, it will take care of the front part, and we'll use the oil radiator heater in the back section where the add on is, that gets quite chilly. The heater has a thermostat and a remote control.

I've never had a lot of luck with the plastic over the windows, but I will say this: the little things make a big difference--insulators inside your plug covers, draft dodgers under the door, rugs--rugs if you have hard wood like we do. They really make a huge difference and I'm looking for a larger one for the living room now that my last elderly kitteh has gone--I wouldn't buy anything that I couldn't wash while they were still about.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  07:58:03 AM  Show Profile
Hey Jonni, I saw those too, we have one that is built into an entertainment center in Jim's man cave & it does a nice job & that room is close to 700 sf.
What color did you get?
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  08:01:29 AM  Show Profile
Oh yeah, I wanted to add that since the QVC today's value has passed, another place that has these is Sportsmans Guide.
Here is one for $99.99, heats up to 400 sf
http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/castlecreek-electric-stove-heater.aspx?a=1027115
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  08:17:50 AM  Show Profile
I got the Bronze, Lisa--I really, really wanted the cranberry, but I'd have to change everything in my house to suit it!

Plow and Hearth has them, too, for $199.00. Now and again they run a special and have free shipping, so keep an eye out for that.

Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  08:22:16 AM  Show Profile
How's the $$ efficiency on those?

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  08:35:53 AM  Show Profile
Mom has one, Sheila and she has a heat pump and all electric everything and she uses it all the time, along with another space heater in the room above her garage. She never complains about her electric bill and she's a widow/pensioner.

Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  08:41:30 AM  Show Profile
thanks for the info!! :)

Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2012 :  05:00:37 AM  Show Profile
I would ask the employer if you could have a pellet stove installed. Just explain to him with the fuel cost rising you'd like to supplement your oil bill. It shouldn't require a separate flue if the current chimney is sound. I don't have one because they are less messy than a regular wood stove. But hubby cuts wood for a living so we get ours for free.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2012 :  05:06:14 AM  Show Profile
Also if you have a cellar, the key to keeping the house warm is to keep the floors warm by heating the cellar. My mil has a wood /oil combination furnace. Granted she does heat mostly with wood, but her house isn't as warm as ours where we heat with strictly wood.

Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2012 :  05:09:58 AM  Show Profile
I meant to say that I don't have a pellet stove but would like to have one.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2012 :  07:37:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Another place to check for insulation/fixes is putting insulated backplates on all our outlets and light switches. It is amazing how much cold air streams from those little places- but they are a constant source of cold air.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wff7Xpc/]

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2012 :  4:09:56 PM  Show Profile
Sheila,
My Mom has hot water heat with a gas boiler. If she keeps it around 60 the house is warm and the boiler does not kick on as much. If you keep it so low that it has to work harder to make up for it. Think of it as a big hot water heater. When you turn it down so low the water takes longer to heat back up again. Also check to make sure there is no air in the pipes. Most have bleeder valves at the end of the baseboard pipe.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2012 :  4:31:13 PM  Show Profile
Diane, that's an interesting concept -- had never thought of it that way. . .

Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2012 :  5:56:33 PM  Show Profile
Another idea...a monitor heater. Needs no venting. Just a thought.

Lorie

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic heater ideas Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page