Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2012 :  7:56:52 PM  Show Profile
I have a question. Several of you had said that you might be interested in the soap molds that my hubby has designed and is building and we've been experimenting and such. They are pretty expensive to make and so now we are in a quandry what to charge. Here are some photos of his most recent mold and we lined it with plexiglass for easy sliding out for cutting. He made plexiglass dividers for my molds that give me 18 and 24 bars without any cutting. However, the plexi is so expensive we are trying to decide whether it is worth the trouble of putting in the dividers. For you soapers out there, if you have a mold or have ever wanted a mold, does having the dividers make a difference? And if so, is the extra cost worth it? I'm thinking they will add $30 to a mold price. A bigger mold like this one which will hold 9 lbs of soap, making 20 bars 2 1/4" x 3" and measures 13" x 14" would run $85 with the plexi liner included, but no dividers. Is it worth it to do the dividers? Oh, and the way that his molds are different is that the long sides are stationary, but the two ends come off so that you aren't having to try to lift the soap out, but can just slide it out on the plexi base. Any thoughts would sure be appreciated.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2012 :  3:17:42 PM  Show Profile
Wow Marybeth those molds are truly beautiful and a work of art. I am gonna have to think on this one. I just might be interested in one without the dividers for the vegan soap I want to try. Will get back with you. I want my husband to look at the mold when he gets home.What kind of wood did he use to make them? Also do you line your soap mold with plastic so the soap doesn't leach into the wood or just not worry about it?

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2012 :  6:32:24 PM  Show Profile
Linda, he used pine on the sides and bottom but has decided to do pine on the sides from now on and an oak plywood on the bottom and lid. It is stronger for the base. The lid on this one is oak plywood. The mold is very substantial. Even though the plexiglass lines the mold, I do cut a trashbag to use to line. I lay the trashbag over the mold, put in the plexi bottom to force the bag into the mold and then put in the plexi ends and sides. That way, no soap leaches out at the corners and the sides of the soap don't have any wrinkles and are very smooth. I've tried it once without the bag and there was only one spot that had a tiny leaching, but I figured that it could get worse, so am using the bags.

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2012 :  9:12:36 PM  Show Profile
For years and years and years I always used Freezer Wrap (shiny side inside)to line my soap molds. I had a wooden "template" that I used to trace the freezer paper to cut multiple inserts at a time, then I placed it into the wooden molds my husband made me.

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2012 :  06:24:16 AM  Show Profile
Deborah, Linda put me onto the book SOAP: Making it and Enjoying It by Ann Bramson and it has recipes, but also, online, I found a site called washbasinwonders.com/soap-recipes.html that has some nice ones. Evidently, the store is no longer in business, because I called and got a disconnected number, but the site is still up and has some good info. AND there is http://www.thesage.com/recipes/recipes.php?.State=ListRecipes&cat=Bar_Soaps that has oodles of recipes to try. I'm going to try some of these. If you need an instruction video you can go to www.teachsoap.com or you can go to my blog at www.oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog and scroll down through the September posts to find my step-by-step tutorial with photos. Hope that helps.

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Soap Molds Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page