Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 A little help needed for class
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic A little help needed for class Next Topic  

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2012 :  7:29:58 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Okay ladies I have a demonstration speech to give next Tuesday evening for my public speaking course. I am going to teach the class how to make a prayer box.
Part of my speech will be about prayer and it's importance in an individual's life, also the different forms prayer may take. (Such as one person may view prayer as a conversation with God and another may prefer to concentrate on another individual or situation and send positive energies through meditation.)

If you would please help me. These are questions I need answers for:
1. What does prayer mean to you?
2. How do you pray?

I know I am taking a chance here because religion can be one of the taboo discussion topics and can get pretty heated. If you are not comfortable sharing on here, but would still like to help me with my project you may email me. You also do not have to answer both questions if you do not want to.

Thank you all so much!
Hugs~ Melanie

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2012 :  8:53:55 PM  Show Profile
Well, I'll bite, Melanie.
1. I see prayer as my opportunity to talk with God in the same way that I talk with others around me, while reading scripture and listening quietly for God is God's way of talking with me.

2. I pray out loud a lot. I pray with my eyes open or closed, depending how I am moved. I pray while I am driving and when I wash dishes and when I wake up in the middle of the night and everywhere else. It's kind of a constant thing and encompasses every single thing that goes on in my life.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2012 :  9:15:38 PM  Show Profile
Melanie,
1. Prayer to me is a time to connect, reflect, and make sense of things that I do not understand, am thankful for, or wish to accept and make peace with.
2. I am a silent prayer. (probably because I am Lutheran HA!), but when I pray, I always feel a tug in my heart, a connection I choose to feel is God's hand.
Good luck & God Bless you in your endeavor!
Go to Top of Page

SallyT
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Sarah
Buford Georgia
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2012 :  05:43:32 AM  Show Profile
I belonged to Toastmaster's, a public speaking group, for a long time. We were timed constrained as I am assuming your are. Doing a demo was never a great idea. Would not explaining a prayer box, have one with you as a visual, its history and meaning along with your questions be enough?

Good luck!!

Sarah

Warmth of Friendship Necessary for Life
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2012 :  09:43:43 AM  Show Profile
Melanie! How exciting!

1) Prayer to me is total fellowship with God. It's a time to love and be loved, to honor, to praise, to worship, to thank, to celebrate, to ask, to question, to seek, to pour out, to rejoice, to express my heart, to be emptied and subsequently filled; it's a time to listen, to trust, to abide, to learn, to receive knowledge and understanding and wisdom, to be comforted, to be consoled, to receive hope, to learn to trust, to be assured, to be enlightened, to be forgiven, to receive peace, to receive direction, and to be renewed. It's a time to be with Him and celebrate all that He is and that I am His child, and to reaffirm that I really can trust Him with every facet of my life and being. To me, God really is everything, and to pray to Him is as natural and vital as breathing.

2) For me, prayer takes many forms. I believe our life itself is a form of prayer and worship, but I also talk outright to God as if He's standing right in front of me, I pray silently with my thoughts, I pray when I read my Bible, I pray when I light candles in Church, I pray holding Rosary beads or a small Crucifix or a Cross or a prayer cloth, I pray without holding anything, I pray silently, I pray openly, I pray in public, I pray in private, I pray in song, I pray on my knees, I pray while making dinner or folding laundry or doing chores (especially when cleaning the bathroom - LOL!), I pray in the car, I pray at the computer, when I'm watching television - especially when watching the news, I pray when hear the sirens of police cars or fire engines or people fighting on the sidewalk or when I hear a child crying, I pray when I see someone suffering, I pray when someone is confiding in me, I pray when I am wakened in the middle of the night without reason and cannot fall back asleep, I really pray all the time... I pray wherever I am and I pray for no other reason than to praise, and I pray when I get that heart-tug Lisa mentioned. And I always remember to pray with thanksgiving... that's so important. I've even woken up praying. (We always joke that I give God cauliflower ear!) I actually don't really stop praying - for me it's an ongoing thing, not something I only take time out to do, although I do set aside special time aside each day to worship Him in more formal prayer (for example, I do pray the Rosary every day, and we pray formal prayers together at meals and at bedtime), and I'm always willing to take the hand of another and pray with him when he asks.

God is always with us, you know? I am very mindful of that. So, I guess you could say my prayer consists of thought, words and deeds, of what I do, of who I am and of who I am in He Who Is all around and within me. :)

I pray that you have a wonderful presentation! I wouldn't be too worried about religion in this - you're demonstrating a prayer box. I think it's quite appropriate to explain what it would mean to a person who would use it. As far as I know, all religions celebrate some form of prayer. :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2012 :  10:34:46 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Sarah, that probably would be much easier, but the demonstration is actually part of the speech assignment. We have 5-7 minutes, but she will not deduct if we go over so that's nice. We need three parts to our body of the speech. My thought is I will do a short bit on prayer, it's importance in an individual's life and the different ways one may pray (regardless of religion). The next part will be a brief demo on how to make the box (very simple). And then follow up with how to empty or release the prayers in the box. I want to be able to show the class that the prayer box is not only for one religion or path, that I do believe anyone can use the box in a way that honors their beliefs.

Nini~ you are so right about not worrying about the religion in this. As I mentioned above to Sarah, I'm hoping to show that the box is something anyone can use with their beliefs. That is why I am hoping and praying there will be no bashing on this thread and other farmgirls will share their thoughts with me. I know we have a beautiful bunch of ladies here and not all of us share the same beliefs. I could research online, and yeah I probably will, but I'd rather have first hand information about religions or beliefs that are foreign to me. I would like to share that amazing difference in us, that spiritual thing that connects us all but yet makes us unique at the same time.

Thank you so much for your help ladies. Keep em coming girls! Need all the help I can get.

Hugs~ Melanie

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2012 :  11:23:26 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Melanie - I hear you. I completely understand where you're coming from. I don't think you have to be worried about any bashing here - or at least you shouldn't be! Part of the joy of being farmgirl sisters is that we're a melting pot of wonderful, and we celebrate each other with respect, and speak with love and kindness! That's the way it SHOULD be! :) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2012 :  5:39:23 PM  Show Profile
I recently heard a testimonial about prayer. The fellow teaches prayer walking. He prays for everyone he sees as he takes his daily walks. One thing he said is that prayer isn't the words we say but is who we are. I take that to mean that it is about where our heart is and our continual thoughts toward God and giving him our thoughts and of course listening to him according to his word.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

SallyT
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Sarah
Buford Georgia
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2012 :  07:31:21 AM  Show Profile
Sounds wonderful. Know your presentation will be great. With the subject matter it cannot miss.

Sarah

Warmth of Friendship Necessary for Life
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2012 :  07:17:37 AM  Show Profile
Melanie,

1. I think prayer is our gift. We actually have a creator that loves us and wants to communicate with us. You can talk with God and work out your troubles, praise God, ask God to interceed on anothers behalf. He want's to be our best friend and you always talk to your best friend about everything. I am amazed at the fact that even though I am not a good best friend he still seeks a relationship with me.
2. you can pray any where and at any time.

I went to New York a few years ago and across from the twin towers is a small white Church. It is very old and that was where the firemen and police gathered during the tragedy. In this Church is also a pew that George Washington prayed at before crossing the Delaware. Many, many prayers have been said in this tiny building and I was truly in awe.

I don't know why I added this but, I hope it is something that will be useful for you.
Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2012 :  07:37:08 AM  Show Profile
Melanie,

Good luck on your demonstration tonight!! Let us know how it went!

Emily
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2012 :  9:26:07 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you all so much for your help!! The speech went pretty good I think. I started to get nervous and my mind went blank, but I took a deep breath and recovered. The class enjoyed it. Not sure what my grade was yet. Hopefully I'll get that back next week

Hugs~ Melanie

Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2012 :  8:59:48 PM  Show Profile
Yay Melanie.