Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  12:08:37 PM  Show Profile
Today I did a lot of embroidery, two pin cushions and one tote bag, will sew them together tomorrow. Got the nicest transfers for embroidery from an on line site called pattern bee. So been trying to think up things to make with them all. Maybe I should buy a plain white apron and embroibery the heck out of it. I have been doing a lot of my linen napkins, they have been comming out nice.
Going now and cut up all the grocery coupons, then make a salad and cook some steaks on the grill, got some banana nut bread for dessert.
Then I finally started reading "GRAPES OF WRATH", so will take that along to bed and read. The last couple of days have been extra busy so I don't think it will be long before I'am sleeping.
NANCY JO

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  12:21:42 PM  Show Profile
miz nancy .. my day started off with feeding miss sophia catherine .. then taking my grandson, lucas, out for a walk (he rode his four-wheeler .. I walked!) ... then back home for breakfast with the familty ... and gathering of autumn leaves for a fun 'project' with lucas. a lazy kinda' "hang out with the family" sunday here in toledo. xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  12:42:50 PM  Show Profile
oh, you gals are certainly having fun today!

I have been piled in the bed with a bad head cold that my kiddos so lovingly shared with me.blahh

As they all had it last week with fevers and sinus things..well... mom babied them all last week even staying up at 3 a.m. one night sponging off the baby..well..I guess they all just needed to "share the love..err..the "crud" with mom...ha

So I have been a wee bit productive though today by catching up with some letter writing . Trying to shake this stuff so that I can get outside soon and plan my new garden area.

My hubby tilled up the area for me Friday evening/rented a tiller after I told him what I planned, and where I'd like to put my farm gal garden.He's a real sweety!
Then Saturday he found lots of plants on sale at Kmart really cheap..came home with a van load of plants for just $26.00
so I was like.."whoa those are great prices..let's go get some more!"So we went back and packed out my van for just $56.00 more! I now have plenty of plants as far as green tropical tree type stuff goes..I'll be adding the seeds that you gals have all shared with me into the garden area...along with some roses that I already have in pots on my deck...
When I get it finished I will take before and after images and share them with you all.
So far the entire garden area looks like it will cost less than $300 to create a very, very pretty oasis area...I intend to have a childs seating area(with child size bench)/a adult seating area with adult bench, a mini pond with goldfish, a walkway using stones we already have, a bird feeder using a feeder given to us. Anyhow..that's the plans.
So gals..in case you are wanting nice tropical plants..you might want to check out your local Kmart and see if they are clearing out the tropicals this time of year along with rose bushes. I got half a dozen rose bushes for just $1.99 each!
Grant it they were slightly wilted but just in need of a slight trim back and plenty of water, but they will bounce back with a little TLC.

Anyhow..that's the scoop here on a Sunday afternoon.

Plus I have been enjoying reading all the awesome feedback on our new magazine venture...So, very, very exciting!

That's all here today.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  12:53:50 PM  Show Profile
Tina
Sure sounds like you will be getting your hands dirty!! That is a lot of plants. I know I would like to see pictures when everything gets going.
Hope your feeeling better, I hate colds!!
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Kelly43
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

NJ
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  3:01:58 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo
Went to church then to a knitting session with my mom. A lady that lives near me dyes, spins and sells yarn and also holds knitting Sundays where she offers help to those who need it. She knits beautifully and I am making my first sweater with the help of her and my mom. Of course I am using some beautiful yarn she spun. Fall colors, oranges, browns, greens kind of blended all together. Now I'm visiting with all of you while the turkey cutlets bake. My daughter is reading Grapes of Wrath for english class now.

Tina
Do hope you feel better. Your garden sounds just beautiful!!

Kel
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  3:19:36 PM  Show Profile
Kelly,
I can knit, but not sweaters, how nice you have someone to teach you, and with extra special yarn besides.
I should have read Grapes of Wrath long ago, but only saw the movie, so ordered the book a while back and now will finally read it.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  3:32:56 PM  Show Profile
My neighbor Joan and I take a walk each Sunday morning at the Chicago Botanic Garden. This morning the garden was stunning. The ornamental grasses were bejeweled with dew, the morning light hitting them just so -- it took my breath away. After our hour-long walk, we stopped at Trader Joe's for food (we always start talking about food for the last 20 minutes of our walk -- can't help it! We get hungry!). I found some new goodies today -- pumpkin butter and a cranberry-cherry chutney and cinnamon-raisin Ezekiel bread (flourless, made with sprouted whole grains, and low sodium). Very excited about the bread, as I am trying to achieve minimal sodium in my diet.

After a big stir-fry and brown rice brunch, I started in on my painting projects. Had the ceilings repaired now that the new roof is on (no more leaks!), so I'm sanding and getting ready to paint. Discovered mold behind the wallpaper above the window in my son's room (he's off at college), so that room became a bigger project. I want to get the painting done in there before my sis comes later this week.

Listened to the Cubs on the radio -- last game of the season -- they won -- yea!

Just discovered that we don't have coffee beans for the morning, so I'll be running to the store tonight. Isn't that the way.

All in all, a beautiful day with a friend this morning and getting some things done this afternoon.

Chicago Bears on TV tonight. I'll probably fall asleep in the recliner watching them.

Tina, I hope you get better soon. Your package from me should arrive tomorrow. Good for you and husband rescuing those plants! Have fun planting -- we're putting our gardens to bed soon here.

Nancy, I love that you're reading Grapes of Wrath! I read it in high school, lo those many moons ago. And I love to hear that you're embroidering up a storm.

Kelly, your knitting session sounds so fun and relaxing. Don't you just love fall colors? I collected a bunch of buckeyes this week -- the most wonderful warm, deep chestnut brown. Fantastic depth of color.

Frannie -- your day sounds like Nana perfection (are you called Nana, Grandma, Nonie?)

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  5:54:54 PM  Show Profile
thanks for the well wishes gals..am doing some better.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  5:59:35 PM  Show Profile
Oh Nancy...Grapes of Wrath is one of my favorites..I love John Steinbeck's writing!
I have had a very quiet day. Very nice. STeve said that since it is my birthday he would milk Mona for me both times. That is a treat!! I had to go out and visit with her though...I can't stay away from that cow.
I won the radio station giveaway birthday cake and have had visitors popping in today..even some little neighbor girls who sang "grumpy birthday to me" Their dad told them all old people have a grumpy instead of a happy birthday. They were so cute.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  6:57:01 PM  Show Profile
We had a very productive and relaxing day. We had breakfast and did our general Sunday morning thing. After breakfast we all went for a really nice long walk and gathered things for our altar. I will have pics on my blog later on tonight. We stopped by the neighbor lady's house down the road and invited her and her visiting son (from California) for dinner.

Rob and I cleaned up some stuff outside and did a little Fall decorating outside (again, pics on my blog in a little bit) and then went in and did a little straightening and got a nice chicken into the oven. Made dinner, set the table with the Magnolias ;)

The neighbor, Faye and her son Bruce came over around 5:30 and we sat and had a nice dinner and brownies for desert. We went afterward and walked around in the garden, watched deer that were wandering near by and then wished them farewell. Faye and I are going to have tea sometime next week after Bruce leaves.

We came in and cleaned things up together and then sat to watch THe Amazing Race (we LOVE that show....we don't really watch tv but man do we love that show!) and play with the girls. Grace just went to bed about 1/2 hour ago, and Zoe is closely following.

Rob and I will play Scrabble while I work on my counted cross stitch (more photos on my blog-going to do a progression-it's a HUGE project,) and then go to bed. I have dipes to fold yet tonight too, probably right after ZOe goes down.

It seems like it was a busy day, but really it wasn't and it seemed to go very slowly....it was really nice....and nice weather for the activites we had today.

:D

What a nice topic :D

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blog: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  8:20:27 PM  Show Profile
After church (at 7:00 am) DH and I went to breakfast at a local restaurant, our Sunday tradition. Then came home and he worked on helping the neighbor with a truck mechanical problem while I peeled, blanched, vacuum sealed and froze apples. Got about 5 quarts done, almost emptied a half bushel basket. One down, 4 to go...arrgh. I'm glad the weather has been chilly that is the only thing keeping all these apples from spoiling. My daughter and grandson arrived to do some laundry and we made an apple kuchen. Then daughter #2, grandbaby and husband arrived and we all went to dinner 45 minutes away at a restaurant where I worked in college (a few years ago...LOL) to celebrate my birthday last Tuesday. Beautiful day for a long drive. Unfortunately the restaurant is not quite as nice as it used to be...service slow and some food overdone, although tasty. Got home and baked cookies, checked MJF a few times, daughter finished laundry, I played with my grandson, DH mowed the lawn and fixed daughter's car. I cleaned up the kitchen and made apple jelly. Then i cleaned up the kitchen again...

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  04:03:12 AM  Show Profile
Tasha -- I'm glad you invited your neighbor and her son over for dinner. I've thought of her often, about how lonely it might be for an elderly person living alone. . . . You are so kind to share your family time with her.

Funny you should mention "The Amazing Race" -- last night, when I was watching it, I wondered whether other gals on this site might be enjoying it, too. And you were watching it at the same time! I do love that show -- especially seeing the exotic locales. Wasn't that coal-making interesting?

Wow, Brenda -- lots of work with those apples. You must feel very satisfied, seeing those 5 beautiful quarts all done. Yummy kuchen -- and you made cookies, too. How do you do it all? (And do you have a dishwasher? I just think about all the dishes to do after such a busy day in the kitchen.)

Aunt Jenny -- Happy birthday! Your day sounds so relaxing. And I love that 'Grumpy Birthday to You' song. May have to use it on my older sisters!!

Hope everyone has a good Monday today.

Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  06:33:11 AM  Show Profile
Those coal miners are my favorite because they are teh underdogs I think. I think that everyone is going to underestimate their intelligence because of what they look and sound like and where they come from.

I think that is a great show!

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blog: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com

Edited by - GaiasRose on Oct 02 2006 06:33:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  07:05:51 AM  Show Profile
Tasha, I was touched by the coalminers' kindness to two other groups of competitors on last night's show. Must admit that I probably am underestimating those two, as well, because of their background and accent. This show always teaches me something about myself as well as something about the world. Maybe this is one of my lessons for the season.
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  07:25:52 AM  Show Profile
I'm a little late but my Sunday was typical for us since we moved. I got up around 8:00, loaded up the car, and headed to my in-laws to get ready for church and start laundry. After church, I finished the laundry while grading papers and watching football (Colts). Then dd and I played rummy and went for a walk before she left for youth group at church and I headed back to town to spend the night at my mom's.

Today it's back to work (part-time teaching at the University here in town). A normal Sunday with a mix of chores and relaxation.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  08:53:53 AM  Show Profile
We were up at 6:00 thanks to our 2 year old dd. I made coffee for me and dh and got 2 sippy cups of milk for the kids and we all piled in our king sized bed for our Sunday ritual of spending family time in the bed together reading talking playing. We had a quick breakfast and off to Sunday school and church. We then went to Lowe's for some brocolli plants and a few other items and then went to Sonic (not our usual sunday homecooked meal) . We came home took a SHORT nap and then worked planting and preparing beds to be planted till dark . For supper we ate the fresh free range chicken I bought at the farmers market the day before and sauted zuchinni (just picked from our garden)watched Extreme home makeover and went to bed. A long day but productive.

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
]
My blog http://www.epicourier.com/Garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  12:25:19 PM  Show Profile
I love Sundays so much. Its a great day for lounging, eating , reading and whatever else but for us it's usually after church. Sometimes I cook a big meak sometimes we make pizza. Whatever mood were in, thats what so great about Sundays.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic SUNDAY DOINGS. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page