chickensforme
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Anne
Coopersburg Pa
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2012 :  5:29:17 PM  Show Profile
Been wanting to start raising a few chickens, but have a few questions.

l. How long do they live.
2. How long do they lay eggs.
3. After they stop laying, will they just stay with the rest of the
chickens.

Thanks Ladies.

Anne

" A dog's tail never lies"

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2012 :  6:53:47 PM  Show Profile
#1, they can live up to 10 yrs, depending on breed, but not laying that whole time...
#2 again depending on breed, 3-4 plus years...
#3 yes they will stay with the rest, and you will need to deceide wether you want to continue to feed and maintain the old hens...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  03:49:15 AM  Show Profile
I didn't know until very recently, but you can tell weather a hen is laying by her comb color.

Those that aren't laying, their combs are faded. Those that are, their combs will be a bright eye popping cherry red. It's most striking against a russet or black feathered bird.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  4:15:46 PM  Show Profile
Some hens can live longer than 10+ yrs...Roo's they say can live up to 15 yrs
I have hens over 7 yrs old who still lay ever so often...& my ones that are over 5 still lay semi regularly...but this all depends on the amount of eggs they have that enter the ovum(sp)...All hens are born with a certain number of eggs that they can give thur out their life...once those are gone they can't produce anymore.....
Hens /chickens raised together can always be part of the flock whether they lay or not...chickens are very good at bonding with those with them & if separated can go down hill from loneliness.......If you have ever watched chickens you can see they all have little clicks, some may only have 2 hens & other clicks may have lots....I have one group of only 3 that never seem to leave each other......I have another of 2 that eat, sleep & run around together....its quite fun to watch them....
Yes there is research out there that states a light colored comb that is normally bright red can indicate the hen is not laying but the best way is to check the vent...if it looks like a big long smile they are laying if its small line they aren't.....Michele'

Chickens RULE!
hen #2622
theoldbatzfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

chickensforme
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Anne
Coopersburg Pa
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  8:23:09 PM  Show Profile
Tina, I am afraid to ask. When you said continue to feed and care for the older hens or .......

What does that mean?
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  9:51:30 PM  Show Profile
Anne, some chicken keepers will butcher their hens when they get past the egg laying stage, many do it cause of the cost to maintain a flock when many aren't laying.......Since I name all of mine I just can't butcher them...but that doesn't mean if they are sick or injured where I can't help them I do put them down, but I use chloroform so nothing can eat them & its a very quick death for them...it puts them to sleep & then they past...I had to do that to 2 hens today....hurt so bad to do it & I cried but I couldn't let them suffer anymore......I never raise chickens for butchering just for the eggs, partly cause I am not a big meat eater & second I get too attached to my girls......others though can see beyond that & realize the wonderful hens after laying can still benefit the family thur their meat......Now whatever you decide must work for you & hopefully by now you realize none of us would ever judge you for any decisions you make concerning your hens....Michele'

Chickens RULE!
hen #2622
theoldbatzfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

chickensforme
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Anne
Coopersburg Pa
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2012 :  06:14:15 AM  Show Profile
Michele,

Thank you for your reply. I never even thought of this part of raising chickens, I was just thinking how nice it would be to have fresh eggs everyday, now I have to re think about getting them. I have been in animal rescue for about 15 years, mostly dogs and cats, when the got sick I just took them to the vet and he euthanized. All very very sad but I still keep going and getting them. Again, thanks for the info.

Anne

" A dog's tail never lie's "
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2012 :  09:35:26 AM  Show Profile
We have a friend who just loves chickens and doesn''t need the eggs necessairly, so any older hens we don't need, she is always more than willing to take.

I order new chicks about every other year just to keep things moving and to keep up with the older individuals that pass on from old age, predation or failure to thrive. When you free range, it's always a risk
Go to Top of Page

NeeNee
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

WhiTTneY
South point Ohio
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2012 :  10:38:58 AM  Show Profile  Send NeeNee a Yahoo! Message
I have a question, I been wandering about. I wanting to get chickens. An put them in my big back yard do lawn mowers bother them because I would still have to mow back there. Once I put the coop back there.

FaRmGirL SiStEr# 3203
~ The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain. ~
~A Bible That is falling apart Probably belong to someone who isnt~
*Being fueled with self-determination can make us strive for great things.*

http://my2.tupperware.com/whittneyc
http://hislilwildflower.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/neeneec/
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2012 :  3:22:22 PM  Show Profile
Lawnmoweres wouldn't bother most chickens, they would get used to them pretty quick, if you start out with chicks, they would get used to the noise even faster...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

u.p.farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

170 Posts

annette
bruce crossing michigan
USA
170 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2012 :  1:01:05 PM  Show Profile
As for telling who's laying or not also look for the comb that is flopped over this is a good thing. I do have breeds that have no combs so these birds you can also check the space between the back 2 bones on the area below the vent. A good layer will have the width of at least 2 fingers between those bones. As the birds get older the bones get closer together.
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2012 :  6:10:56 PM  Show Profile
My chickens usually live till the next bobcat, bear or coyote comes along and starts wiping them out. I usually lose a few before I can get rid of the varmit. My dad used to raise game chickens and he once had a rooster that lived to 14.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Raising chickens Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page