Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Pressure Canning Your Own Recipes - Is It Okay?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pressure Canning Your Own Recipes - Is It Okay? Next Topic  

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  2:40:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls -

I am wondering if it's okay to make my own soups, stews, chilis, chicken pot pie filling, etc., and can them in a pressure canner, OR do I have to use tried-and-true recipes only, such as those in the Ball Canning Book? If it IS okay to do this, is there any specific canning rules? I.e., how long would we pressure can these foods in quart jars, at how many pounds of pressure?

Thanks so much - I really appreciate your help. I really want to do this for convenience sake while we're homeschooling; but I also want to help my foster daughter out. She's a wife and Mom of three, she works part- to full- time and is a full-time nursing student. Last time we went grocery shopping together, I noticed that she was purchasing an awful lot of convenience foods and pre-packaged snacks for the kids for school, which are just killing her budget. I think if she can make these dinners ahead of time, she'd still have the convenience of pulling dinner off the shelf to reheat, plus they would be SO much less expensive, and MUCH more healthy for her family. If we're able to do this, I know it's going to take up a lot of precious time she just doesn't have right now, so I've offered to can it for her if she makes the meals. That'll work! :) I also pointed out to her that she'd save a lot of money by making big batches of some of these snacks she buys from scratch, and then individually wrapping them so they're at the ready. She could get a lot of that done in just a couple of hours on her next day off, so she's going to try to do that herself. Once she's out of school for holiday break, she can do some more canning herself for the upcoming spring semester. :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Sep 21 2012 2:44:13 PM

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  2:52:02 PM  Show Profile
I've been canning for a long time and many different foods. The guideline is:
Process your recipe the length of time and pressure for the food that has the longest requirement.

Example; Right now I am making Spaghetti Meat Sauce. I will pressure can for 90 min at 10#'s pressure because the beef requires it.

I like making meals in a jar. Teryikyi Chicken, Shredded Beef or Venison with onions & peppers, and lots of soups, mixed vegetable (process according to to the vegetable that takes the longest processing time), dried bean products, etc.

Have fun!

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, Herbalist, Master Energy Intuitive

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  2:59:27 PM  Show Profile
Nini, I have rarely ever used a "tried and true" recipe, but always make my own. I have been pressure canning them for over 30 years.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  7:04:47 PM  Show Profile
Thank you SO much, girls! Kristine - that totally makes sense! I will definitely use that as my guideline, thank you!!! Mary Beth! I KNEW I could count on you, too! ;) I almost emailed you directly, but figured I can't be the only one wondering!!! Thank you!!!!

Can't wait to get started tomorrow! Thank you both so much!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2012 :  12:56:09 PM  Show Profile
I use my own recipes (or throw-togethers) all the time. I pressure can for the longest ingredient also... It's great to can all kinds of quick and easy things!

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2012 :  2:00:05 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Angie! I'm really excited to get started. Had planned on doing so this weekend, but ended up cleaning out the freezers instead. Isn't that always the way, though? I think maybe I'll do some big batch dinners this week and can a little bit as I go! Gotta start somewhere! :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2012 :  6:25:44 PM  Show Profile
I have been canning milk, and lard.. for the first time.
It looks great.
Deb

I Thessalonians 5:16,17
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Deb-farmgirl sister #462
http://sunflowercritters.blogspot.com/
Be like a Sunflower, Turn your Face to the Son.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2012 :  10:00:07 AM  Show Profile
Debra! I didn't know you could can milk! Could you please share more information?

Also - Mary Beth, would you please provide the link to your site where we can learn how to can cheese?

Thanks girls!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pressure Canning Your Own Recipes - Is It Okay? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page