Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic cabbage storage Next Topic  

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2012 :  08:30:31 AM  Show Profile
So I have lots of cabbage and a cooler to put them in, but hubby is worried about the smell. We store apples in there. He recommended putting them in plastic bags, but i worry about that and sweating. Would paper bags be better?

Any suggestions?

thanks, Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2012 :  07:37:14 AM  Show Profile
I used to know an old homesteader. He has passed on now. He used to store cabbage in straw mixed with other fibrous plant stems in his barn and in other places that were relatively sheltered, like a sort of old cold frame without the glass. A little shredded paper added to the mix might be good too. We get very cold temps here and a lot of snow cause we are at 8000 ft but I think the climate may be similar to yours in Montrose. The outer leaves would get a little spotted but all the cabbage was good and he would get it out as needed. He also stored carrots and parsnips in buckets of sand in his cellar sprinkling them with a little water from time to time to keep them from drying out too much. I don't know if you are set up to do this but if you are it might be worth a try to experiment with storing a couple of the heads like this and see how it goes. How wonderful to have a bunch of cabbage, yummy.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2012 :  6:12:43 PM  Show Profile
There were really a lot and the little side heads were producing too. All got away from me and I had a bunch of split heads, which I'm trying to use first, but a few unsplit I'd like to store. it is amazing and I learned a bit about the little heads if you get the big ones off early enough.

thanks,
laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2012 :  09:29:22 AM  Show Profile
I stored ours in the basement. I wrapped the heads in newspaper and hung them by their root from the rafters. If you watch them and use them before they spoil there really isn't any smell. I couldn't even smell them in the basement. It worked really great for me!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic cabbage storage Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page