Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 "why aren't your kids in school?!"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic "why aren't your kids in school?!" Next Topic
Page: of 2

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2012 :  7:57:18 PM  Show Profile
I don't know how your states work, but here in VT everything is open and above-board -- we register annually as homeschooling and thus our children are NOT truant. We do our beginning of school-year paperwork and end of the year paperwork and that's that. They are not truant. We go wherever throughout the schoolday -- one biggie is that our kids are finished with their work much earlier than trad. school kids -- just another bonus!

As far as field trips are concerned, we usually ask for and receive the school rate at many museums, theaters, etc. Give it a try! :)

http://troutwife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2012 :  8:50:44 PM  Show Profile
True Sheila. I went shopping yesterday at a big clearance, early in the morning when the store first opened. We came home after lunch and was still done with school before most kids get out of a brick and mortar school. One thing people forget is the average homeschooling mom only has a one to a few children (I mean unless you're the duggars, who I love! lol) Where in a traditional school the teacher is teaching upwards of 30 or more students, often disobedient ones, etc. So of course that is going to take a lot longer then a few kids.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Zippy
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Zee
Idaho
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2012 :  10:40:03 PM  Show Profile
Hi There, I'm a homeschooler in Northern Idaho and I have never been asked why my kids aren't in school. I guess it just depends on what area you live in. There are plenty of home educators around here and I guess people are just used to it :)

"Only A Life Lived for Others is A Life Worthwhile."
~Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2012 :  05:49:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone!

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile. We've been so busy and had a bout of some nasty flu bug that I am still trying to shake.

We've been loving homeschool and have been getting less negative attention while out and about. I LOVED Mrs. Rooster's husband laying down the law with their rude and nasty neighbor regarding their homeschooling. You go, Rooster!

When my older girls went to "traditional" school, it was from 8am-3pm. From what I could access then, their actually "learning" and work time during that 7-hour school day only came down to about MAYBE 3-4 hours. All the other time was lunch, recess (which are totally reasonable and necessary for the kids' break), but they would also give them computer play free time, movie time, TV time, etc which was a complete waste when they were still coming home with 1-2 hours of homework every night. On a regular day we go from about 8:30 am - 12 at homeschool, take a break for lunch, play outside or play indoor games if the weather is bad, start up again at 1:45 or so and it varies from there. If we're home, the older girls often do independent review work late in the afternoon and also practice their handwork when they are done and their younger sisters do quiet time or take a nap. My girls have been saying we are doing more work everyday than they ever had in "regular school," but have also said they find it easier and more fun because it isn't hard to concentrate here at home the way it was at school with so many kids in their classroom (our overloaded district was averaging 35 or more kids per every elementary grade classroom). When we are out and about, I use every opportunity I can to have them learning everywhere we go.

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Amy
WI
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2012 :  5:39:52 PM  Show Profile
Hello from another homeschooling mama!
We love to do field trips and "real life learning". Yes, we do plenty of bookwork also, but while we're out and about we make it educational.
But most people don't understand that. I do get occasional questions, but mostly polite people. I try to avoid being in stores during "school hours", but on tuesdays is "town day" where we have piano, swimming and stop at the store.
I do belong to Homeschool Legal Defense www.hslda.org , just in case a situation should come up, then I have peace of mind.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic "why aren't your kids in school?!" Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page