Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2012 :  11:02:03 AM  Show Profile
I do not have a pressure canner and cannot afford to go buy one right now. Does anyone have a alternative process to what is needed when you need a pressure canner?

God bless,

Judy
Farmgirl #3666

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2012 :  11:08:05 AM  Show Profile
I do not have one either. But I do a lot of things in a big canning pot with the hot bath method. And you can go the website that Bell Canning jars have and they give recipes for all different kinds of canning techniques. Even freezing. You can put back a lot of food without a pressure canner. Good luck!

Farmgirl #31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2012 :  1:51:50 PM  Show Profile
Judy, dehydrating veggies and freezing meets and veggies is the best alternative to pressure canning. You can dehydrate vegetables in your oven and freezing gives you fresh tasting veggies for sure!! As far as canning, there is no alternative to pressure canning when it comes to low acid foods that must be pressure canned, but if you dehydrate veggies, you can rehydrate them and then cook them like fresh. I dehydrate green beans, brocolli, cauliflower, celery, peppers, onions, peas, carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, you name it. To rehydrate some of them, I cover them with water and let them stand in the frig overnight. Others, like the potatoes, and peas and green beans, I just boil with spices and such and do it that way. You can dehydrate practically anything. Meats can't be dehydrated unless they are salted as jerky, but I freeze a whale of a lot of meat!! And if I make soup or spaghetti sauce, I'll freeze that too if I'm not canning it. Hope that helps.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2012 :  3:52:14 PM  Show Profile
Mary Beth,
Do you have a dehydrator or do you use your oven overnight?

thanks for all the info

God bless,

Judy
Farmgirl #3666

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2012 :  6:10:27 PM  Show Profile
Judy, I have a dehydrator that I bought at Walmart. It was very inexpensive and is the Nesco brand called the American Harvester. I have used it forever. But you can do dehydrating in the oven. The nice thing about the dehydrator is the fan that keeps air circulating. I'll bet you that you could find a dehydrator on Craigslist or ebay for cheap.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2012 :  6:58:05 PM  Show Profile
I'll be freezing tomatoes tomorrow and I freeze lots of meat. At the end of the week, the little store near here sells off all the meat at 5 packages for $19.99. I have a lot of meat on hand in the big freezer in the garage. I used to dehydrate lots of veggies and fruit but when we moved, it seems to have been lost.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Alternative to pressure canner Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page