Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Morse/Inspector Lewis/Endeavor Next Topic  

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2012 :  4:37:03 PM  Show Profile
I was a huge fan of John Thaw, who played detective inspector Morse in the PBS series Inspector Morse. His sidekick was Inspector Lewis and now, since the Morse character and Thaw himself died, there is an Inspector Lewis series that picked up where the Morse series left off. Now another series is in the works. It is based on the young Morse and is called Endeavor. Endeavor is Morse's first name, something that he tried not to reveal because he was ashamed of the name his Quaker parents had given him. PBS aired Endeavor this summer and, since there was such a favorable response from viewers, they are turning it into a series. I would recommend all three - Inspector Morse -- Inspector Lewis -- Endeavor - to anyone who likes British mysteries.

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson

pennyhenny
True Blue Farmgirl

304 Posts

Missy
Dayton OH
USA
304 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2012 :  6:03:43 PM  Show Profile
I too am a HUGE John Thaw fan and Morse is in my TOP 10 list of Favorited PBS shows.
Have you watched A YEAR IN PROVENCE ? I so adore this mini series and watch it twice a year.

hugs,
-missy-

http://citychickblogging.blogspot.com/

Sisterhood Member#4003

Happiness held is the seed; Happiness shared is the flower.
John Harrigan
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2012 :  09:25:50 AM  Show Profile
We are huge fans of Masterpiece Mystery here too. We love the old "Morse" series and "Inspector Lewis". We really loved the Midsomer Mysteries when they were on E! years ago too. We have bought quite a few of the DVD's. Of course all of the Agatha Christie's series are favorites and our all time favorite is Rex Stout's, "Nero Wolfe" books & series. There's many others we enjoy and own too, honorable mention to "Rosemary & Thyme". We can watch the all again & again.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2012 :  6:45:23 PM  Show Profile
Missy,

I loved the A Year in Provence series, also. Thanks for mentioning it, because I had not thought about it in years. I actually have the book, along with two others written by Peter Mayle --- Encore Provence and Toujours Provence. The last two are good, but not nearly as good as the first book and the series.

Along those lines, I really enjoyed Frances Mayes' book Under the Tuscan Sun, but was quite disappointed in the movie which showed little if any resemblance to the book. I have two more of Mayes' books and don't find them as good as her first.

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2012 :  07:35:05 AM  Show Profile
I didn't read the book "Under the Tuscan Sun", but I did love the movie. Quite often books are better than the movies. There are exceptions though!

I have never read or seen "A Year in Provence" and looked it up. It looks like a delightful series and I can't wait to read/see it! Thanks so much for the recommendation.

Dawn in IL

Edited by - ddmashayekhi on Sep 01 2012 07:40:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2012 :  7:02:13 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE the Inspector Lewis series and am a HUGE long-time fan of Midsomer Murders - I have probably seen almost all the episodes 2 or 3 times. Has anyone watched the FOYLE'S WAR series with Michael Kitchen? I'd never heard of it before until I happened upon series 1 and 2 in our used book store and took a chance. It's SO good and I'm trying to get the other 4 seasons from the library (I may get desperate enough to buy them full price from Amazon if I can't find them soon!)

I heard about ENDEAVOR and missed it when it was shown! Waiting to see it on DVD.

I LOVE British shows!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2012 :  7:58:44 PM  Show Profile
I love all the british inspector series. Foyles War is good, so is Inspector Lewis. I also enjoyed the PD James series with Inspector Dagliesh which are older but available on Netflix. Has anyone watched Wallander?

Lesley
"I see God in the eyes of every child...every life is precious to God, whatever the circumstances." Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

Katlady93
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

Charlotte
Denmark SC
USA
361 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2012 :  2:10:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Katlady93 a Yahoo! Message
love Wallander. and Midsommer and Christie and a lot of other BBC. a really good one we like is "New Tricks" as in you can't teach an old dog new tricks. There is a strong female lead who is put in charge of a group of retired policemen that are brought back as civilian consultants to help solve cold cases. the juxtaposition of how it was done and how it is done is great.

Some dreams are worth the risk it takes to make them real.
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2012 :  3:48:46 PM  Show Profile
Charlotte,

I love New Tricks, too, and Midsommer. Love the more recent Agatha (can't remember the actress, but I do like her). American television producers could learn a lot from the British. For the most part, their programs are much more tasteful and funny without being vulgar. I've seen some that are over the edge, but even shows like Absolutely Fabulous are not as filthy as some of the American programs.

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2012 :  3:52:21 PM  Show Profile
I agree, the American television producers could learn a great deal from the British! Their shows are always done with style, taste and beautiful scenery!

I forgot about Foyle's War, we love and own the entire series. They are great! All the Miss Marple's have been great, but Joan Hickson is my favorite.

Dawn in IL

Edited by - ddmashayekhi on Sep 04 2012 3:55:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2013 :  07:09:34 AM  Show Profile
LOVE this new series!!
Go to Top of Page

carolj
True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Carol
Waynesboro Georgia
USA
244 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2013 :  2:48:03 PM  Show Profile
Love all the Brit mysteries. Hooray for PBS!

Frances Mayes (Under the Tuscan Sun) is from Fitzgerald, Georgia (small town). I heard her speak last year at a women's event. Such a delightful lady! The movie is only loosely based on her memoir. I recommend both.

Farmgirl 1823

Sow what you want to reap.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2013 :  08:07:49 AM  Show Profile
We have been watching Foyle's War thanks to you girls and are thoroughly enjoying it! We also love Miss Marple, Lewis and Endeavour. Oh and Poirot :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Morse/Inspector Lewis/Endeavor Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page