Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Loofah gourds Next Topic  

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2006 :  10:58:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Does anyone know how to dry loofahs? My friend Susan and I planted seeds and she finally has three small loofah gourds on her vine. She read one article that told her to let them dry on the vine and another article said to harvest them before the first frost. Thanks for any and all advice.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2006 :  11:40:51 AM  Show Profile
I only have seen them grow when I was in Florida and there we let them dry on the vine. It was climbing and they were off the ground and obviously we got frost alot later than you would.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2006 :  11:43:24 AM  Show Profile
Janice we always harvest them now or sooner because they can get mildew and mold. I am always impatient and peel mine, though some folks wait. They are fun to grow! Not sure how much dew you get, at this point in the year we are drenched every morning and it's slow to burn off in shady areas.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2006 :  1:04:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Thanks, ladies. I'm afraid we planted the seeds too late and the frost is going to get the loofahs before they're big enough to harvest. Oh, well! Maybe next year...

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Loofah gourds Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page