True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  8:15:06 PM  Show Profile
what autumn plants fill your gardens?

so far .. (other than hay bales and corn stalks) .. i've planted MUMS (of course!) .. another sweet purple flower ... can't remember the name of it! ... ornamental cabbage and goodness .. a 'seedy' plant that i also can't think of the name of right now! sunflowers are about 'spent' .. but have hundreds of seeds from them! some for the birds and some for next summer's gardens! been cutting back my SWEET ANNIE .. but still have lots going to seed!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  06:44:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi Frannie,

I inherited my garden at the farm, so I have hay and mums (that are humounguos and gorgeous and probably in need of dividing, something else called LiveForEver. I am still identifying some of the plants left by the previous owners. I will also claim a large azalea that I transplanted which had been yanked up and left for trash by a neighbor at our other house. We grabbed it and drove it 30 miles and dug a hole and watered, watered, watered for four days and then every weekend afte that. Sort of expected it to die, but it is thriving! The nicest thing (other than the fact that we saved a nice plant) is that it is planted in a row of similar sized azaleas in a space where another plant must have died. So, the Azalea row is now complete and that part of the landscaping looks like it has always been intact.

Jo
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  06:56:56 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I have a few mums, but mostly I have planted cold weather veggies. Cabbages (Early Jersey and Savoy), brussle sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, and collards. In the house I have butter crunch lettice, swiss chard, spinach, aruguala, and mustard greens in the bedroom window seat.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  08:19:29 AM  Show Profile
The only thing I have blooming for fall right now are autumn crocus. I was so pleased to find that there are so many here because I've always wanted to have them but never stayed in one place long enough to get them added to my gardens. I also have sedum but it looks a little sad because the ducks ate all the leaves off of it. Oh well. I do love my ducks enough to have sad looking sedum.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page

~Tracey~
True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  9:09:38 PM  Show Profile
I have one very pretty orange marigold LOL~~ some lettuce, spinach and kale. Need to put some mums out but I was waiting for the official start of autumn. Guess I can get crackin this weekend.
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  03:34:22 AM  Show Profile
My fall perennials include boltonia (white aster-like and tall), 'Purple Dome' aster, 'Alma Potschke' aster (bright pink), calico aster, 'Autumn Joy' sedum, a tall white daisy -- almost 5 ft tall; foxtail grass, silverfeather grass, fall-blooming anemone, calamintha (has been blooming for over a month already), toadlily, colchicum (like giant fall crocus). I usually add some pansies and ornamental kale to my containers. The marigolds and zinnias along the veggie patch still look great. And my Lovely Fairy roses are reblooming a wonderful deep pink. The garden reflects the influence of a book I read years ago, The Autumn Garden, I think it was.
I love it!
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  05:46:46 AM  Show Profile
Asters, mums, fairy roses, butterfly bush, colchicum, montauk daisies, hydrangea (though fading), black eyed susans, liriope, hosta, ornamental kale w/ vinca vine in the flower boxes.Sweet Autumn clematis all over the arbor...close your eyes, smell...honeysuckle and jasmine! Cornstalks, hay bales, pumpkin and hubbard squash will soon be all over the place as well. I LOVE FALL!!!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Redhen
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Moe
Illinois
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  07:02:47 AM  Show Profile
Everything in my yard is dried up as we have had very little rain and on water conservation right now. I cant wait to plant some mums and add some color!

....I don't believe we're in Kansas anymore.The Wizard of Oz
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  6:22:16 PM  Show Profile
The only thing I have in my autumn garden are pumpkins. But I'm having so much fun with them. This is the first year I've planted pumpkins! I haven't checked them for a week and when I went out tonight there are 9 of them that must weigh at least 30 pounds! I planted the Jack O Lantern pumpkins. But since I didn't get them in until the middle of July they're still green. We're supposed to get warm weather for the next week so I'm going to get them off the cold ground and pray that they start turning in time for our Farmgirls Fall Gathering sale!

Handmade purses and bath delights at www.rusticcottagecreations.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2006 :  04:48:30 AM  Show Profile
My area of Kentucky had a big hail storm that ruined a lot of PUMPKINS (and TOBACCO) ... soooo .. i have about a hundred GOURDS on and surrounding my hay bales right now ... will search for Pumpkins all the way back home through OHIO when i do head home.

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2006 :  05:13:34 AM  Show Profile
My garden is fading back now, but I do have some Chinese foxgloves blooming, along with spider lilies (dug up at an estate sale last year!) and morning glories, which are twining around my dwarf aspen and making it look like a tiny Christmas tree! For some reason, I have daffodils starting to come through!! I doubt they bloom. Other than that, I have to add things for fall, just to make it look full. Next week I will head out to get some mums for color.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2006 :  04:00:50 AM  Show Profile
Oh, autumn gardens, what a good topic! Punpkins, ghosts and goblins, truly blue skies, and a nip in the air. My favorite time of year; but since living in France this summer, my beautiful backyard garden is gonna need a big dose of TLC, and I'll need a big dose of Advil. Boy, I missed being there to snip gobs of gardenias to fill the house in June. Flying home to Norfolk next Tuesday and staying through the New Year, so I will have lots of time to whip it back into shape. However, I may take my first peek with one eye closed to lessen the horror. Pansies pansies pansies!! My favorite potted flower; my mom didn't nickname me the Pansy Princess for nuthin', so I will be hitting the greenhouse trail shortly after unpacking the old suitcase! I like to line the front porch steps with pots of pansy soldiers, and was thrilled to discover that some of them have a lovely delicate scent. Seems like after enduring the heat and humidity of summer, the flowers and shrubs take a big gulp of fresh air and show off a little more before their winter slumber. We are more lively and the mosquitoes AIN'T!! The dahlias and roses are usually good til a big frost, and the hydrangea heads oughta be hardening off on the bushes so they will be ready for cutting and turning into swags and wreaths. Can't wait to get flower crafting!
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2006 :  04:21:20 AM  Show Profile
Nance -- I love pansies, too. How long do your pansies last in Virginia? Here we have them in the fall and if we're lucky (and also put down some evergreen boughs for protection in Dec) they will survive winter and rebloom in spring. Some of my garden clients had hail last week, so we're having to pull the summer annuals a bit early. One will need pansies and kale along the terrace/formal pond area -- HGTV may be filming there next week.

Hope your hydrangea heads look good. Ours are a bit battered from the storm, but I may have a few 'Limelight' heads to gather. One year I bedecked the Christmas tree with dried hydrangeas. 'Twas lovely, and the cats thought it was fabulous, too!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2006 :  05:40:22 AM  Show Profile
Pansies don't make it through the summer for me, even when I keep them out of the hot sun, this year they made it to about the first part of August.
Nance are you going to keep in touch with us when you are in the states??
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2006 :  06:49:36 AM  Show Profile
I too put out some "fall" pansies. Was able to find the ruffle variety at Lowe's this year. I also planted some white and deep purple kale and some deep purple asters. My mums made it through the hot summer and are giving me a second round with fall color and new growth. The whole porch has a nice fall feel to it. My dwarf hydrangea has produced some nice heads and is right by the stairs to the porch so there is some more fall color too. I put some gourds and mini pumpkins around my decorative wheelbarrow on the porch with some of the chestnut "prickly" coverings in the mix to add a different texture. Also got some Indian corn to add another layer.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2006 :  10:25:51 AM  Show Profile
Pansy Power, baby! Cold weather? Bring it on!! I buy them every October and they last til late spring. I have had them covered in snow blooming their adorable little heads off!! In Norfolk I pack pansies into pots and they do great. My secret weapon is slow release fertilizer pellets I put in the bottom inch of soil. By the time the pansy roots have reached it they really have a feast and bloom like crazy to thank me. The only downside is having to deadhead so they will keep sending up new flowers but it is still a pleasure to be so close to them and look at their little faces while I work on them. Two springs in the past five years my garden has been on the neighborhood garden tour and they did not let me down. Here in France I bought them in October also and they pooped out in the intense heat of July. I will be back in Norfolk next week and will hopefully get online at least every other day (using my neighbor's computer) -- I couldn't LIVE without you guys now, you all are such great buddies! Love ya'll, Nance temporarily in France!!
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2006 :  11:15:49 AM  Show Profile
My loads of New England Asters (purple) are in bloom now. My Russian Sage is still going strong. Other than that - just my mums are up.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic autumn gardens Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page