Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Why is my apple butter the wrong color?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Why is my apple butter the wrong color? Next Topic  

rosarita78
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Reina
Drought ridden High Plains New Mexico
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  5:04:09 PM  Show Profile
My apple butter is always a blondish color. I bake my apples, put them in a food processor, then on the stove to cook with cinnamon, ginger, clove, allspice, lemon juice, and the sugar. It always tastes wonderful (which is always a good thing) but it's never that nice redish/brown color. What am I doing different?????

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  7:43:55 PM  Show Profile
is the lemon juice keeping them light?
Go to Top of Page

rosarita78
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Reina
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  7:46:01 PM  Show Profile
I wondered that myself. I guess that is probably it. Most other recipes I've seen call for lemon juice or vinegar.

Reina
Go to Top of Page

Hoosiermom
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Beth
Alexandria IN
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  8:07:33 PM  Show Profile
are you using brown sugar or white sugar?
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4221 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4221 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2012 :  04:33:40 AM  Show Profile
Could be the apples you are using? Have you tried different varieties? I cook mine in the oven, not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

rosarita78
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Reina
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2012 :  06:06:22 AM  Show Profile
I use white sugar. And the apples I got were an awesome find. I happen to run across a tree that was full of apples that no body wanted to I took about half a bushel or so. They were very nice tart green apples with white spots. I usually use the green apples but I have used the red delicious because they were on sale. And I do cook them in the over too. I have in the past used brown sugar because I like the taste. Am I not cooking it long enough?

Reina
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13640 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13640 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2012 :  06:34:54 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I've actually never had blonde apple butter myself, but I've never thought about the color. I use Rome Beauties, Jonathan or Winesap apples or a combination of them all. They all have rich red peels and I don't peel them, I just cook in a pressure cooker and then run it all through a ricer to get the pulp. Add lots of yummy spices and brown sugar (I don't use lemon juice) and cook long and slow in the oven. It comes out a nice, rice caramel-y brown and it is yummy.

I do the same for my applesauce except after running through the ricer, adding spices and a bit of sugar it doesn't get any further cooking. I don't peel them because I like the nutrients from the peel and the color it adds. My applesauce is typically a pink color.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Aug 25 2012 06:35:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

Hoosiermom
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Beth
Alexandria IN
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2012 :  07:10:51 AM  Show Profile
I always do mine in the crockpot & let them cook about 10hrs. I use 1/2 brown sugar & 1/2 white sugar & lemon juice too with my spices. Sorry, I guess i am no help either. Thought maybe it was the sugar, but not sure. As long as it tastes good, I guess it could be purple! LOL

Beth
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2012 :  1:19:00 PM  Show Profile
I do the same as Hoosiermom. I do however add a pinch of baking cocoa powder to mine. I got that tip from an elderly lady at the store when I was buying canning jars. It works great and gives it such a rich color (I cannot taste cocoa either). Maybe that in addition to cooking in the crockpot all day helps darken the butter.

If that doesn't work I would have check on the varieties of apples.

here is the recipe I use:

Crock Pot Apple Butter

Wash and cook apples in large pot after removing stem and blossom ends, When tender and cooled, push through sieve or food mill.

8 Cups Applesauce
4 Cups Sugar (2-white/2 lt. brown)
½ cup apple cider or cider vinegar
2-teaspoons cinnamon
1-teaspoon ground cloves
A pinch of baking cocoa

Place all ingredients in crock-pot. Cook on low 10-12 hours. Make sure steam escapes when it starts boiling. Stir occasionally. Pour into sterilized jars and seal.

Yield: 4-6 pints

*You may need to adjust cooking time for desired thickness:)

**I have made this with the cider vinegar and it comes out good, but if the jars aren’t going to be used in a year or more, the flavor tends to sharpen.

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Littleredd
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Patty
Norwich NY
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2012 :  8:23:22 PM  Show Profile
The acid in the lemon juice keeps the apples from turning a true brown. Try it out by slicing an apple in half. Douse one half with lemon juice and the other side leave plain. In a few hours you'll see what I mean. I don't use lemon juice in mine and it's always a rich deep brown.

"Come to the cliff, " He said. "We are afraid," they said. "Come to the cliff," He said. They came. He pushed them. And they flew.

The Fearless Farmgirl
www.fearlessfarmgirl.blogspot.com
https://twitter.com/#!/Fearlessfarmgrl
Farmgirl Sister #2106
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Why is my apple butter the wrong color? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page