Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 bottoms broke off jars in canner -why?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic bottoms broke off jars in canner -why? Next Topic  

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2012 :  11:44:55 AM  Show Profile
I just got through canning pickles. The first batch went perfectly. The second batch, I had three jars that broke - the bottoms came right off while in the canner. Does anyone know why this would be? My dad said maybe because it was the second batch, the jars had cooled off (before I filled them) a little too much. (I always warm the jars up by running them through the dishwasher...) Someone else said they probably were cheap jars or had a crack in them that I didn't see. What do you gals think?

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

www.amydingmann.com

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2012 :  11:53:25 AM  Show Profile
screw the lid to tight? maybe an older thinner jar that may have has a slight crack you missed. That sinks ... clean up is not fun.

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com

Edited by - kysheeplady on Aug 15 2012 11:53:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2012 :  12:48:38 PM  Show Profile
I tend to agree with your dad. If this was the second batch and you used the water from the first batch that was hot, putting cooler jars in will cause them to break. Visa versa happens too - hot jars into cold water. They always break in a circle around the bottom and you don't even know it until you lift out the jars and all the food goes everywhere! So sorry it happened. I know that was a disappointment.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2012 :  12:59:38 PM  Show Profile
That's so interesting, Mary Beth. I've never had that happen (and...oops! I've never warmed my jars?!) I'll have to remember this for the future when I'm making my jelly in the spring--I don't can like I used to with the wee one about (though I absolutely should be), but this is one of those "cooking is science" sort of happenings.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2012 :  1:00:42 PM  Show Profile
I agree with all the above info, but also, are you setting the jars on the bottom of the canner or do you have a rack. This also will crack jars. But first of all, the hot to cold or cold to hot would be the culprit. Good Luck! Happy Canning! Farmgirl #946 Linda
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2012 :  1:06:57 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the information ladies. I do think it was the cooler jars into hotter water. Ah, always something to learn, isn't there?

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

www.amydingmann.com
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2012 :  8:19:28 PM  Show Profile
Same thing happened to me yesterday with a batch of whole tomatoes. It was cooled jars, I'm sure. I sat the second batch in hot water in the sink before putting them in the canner and they were fine.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

TheBeeCharmer
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Deb
Seven Valleys PA
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2012 :  05:36:46 AM  Show Profile
I canned salsa last night and did the same thing, put cold jars into a hot bath, but luckily mine didn't break but they were brand new jars. Wonder if the glass wears down over time?

~You can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2012 :  06:33:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Deb- Yes- any shock to the glass can cause micro fractures and stress in the glass to the point where one day it will break

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wff7Xpc/]

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1692 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1692 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2012 :  7:53:57 PM  Show Profile
I always heat up my jars before I fill them and process.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart

Aprons and More by Laurie is on my FB page
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2012 :  7:57:01 PM  Show Profile
I always warm up the jars before I fill and process as well, but I've never done two batches of pickles back to back. I use the dishwasher (sanitizing cycle) to heat the jars. So I had 14 jars ready to go, filled seven, processed for 15 minutes and then went to fill the next seven jars and apparently that 15 minutes of processing (plus filling time) was too much for the jars that had just been run through in the dishwasher, and they cooled off. Bum deal, guess I will heat each batch separately next time. :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

www.amydingmann.com
Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2012 :  9:42:38 PM  Show Profile
I know with summer heat we hate to turn on our ovens, but my mother always put the oven on warm and kept the jars in there until she was ready to fill them and process. (that was before dishwashers of course!;)

Lesley
"I see God in the eyes of every child...every life is precious to God, whatever the circumstances." Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2012 :  4:00:07 PM  Show Profile
Lesley that sounds like something to try. I have not done a double batch of anything so I am using the jars right out of the dishwasher but, now that I know what has happened to others I will be sure to watch out when I do the salsa I hope to make this week. Thanks ladies.
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2012 :  8:58:18 PM  Show Profile
I set my full jars in the rack, but not in the water, for a little while to let the "second" batches or raw pack/ cold pack jars heat up a bit before dunking them down into the pot. My jars are clean, but usually not hot when I fill them. It's worked for me for many years and I rarely have any jars break due to hot water and cold jars.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2012 :  09:50:09 AM  Show Profile
What do you use to get out the air bubbles? Be sure not to use a knife because it can cause microchips in the jars that weaken them too. You can use the plastic tool that Ball sells or even a wooden chopstick. Just nothing metal.

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Master Food Preserver
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wwEh7WR/]
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2012 :  12:13:39 PM  Show Profile
I had one break off last month. Luckily I used tongs and got it sideways and out before the whole can of tomatoes spilled into the water. Then I went fishing for the bottom. It was perfectly broken not jagged at all. Either it was a fault in the jar, or it was sitting too much on the hot bottom of the pan, and not on the rack enough.

Farmgirl #31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Littleredd
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Patty
Norwich NY
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2012 :  8:33:53 PM  Show Profile
I think the key is in the balance of hot and cold. You can use cold jars and cold canner water, so that both jars and water heat up together once in the canner or hot jars and hot canner water but both have to be of a similar temperature. I've had it happen too for that reason.

"Come to the cliff, " He said. "We are afraid," they said. "Come to the cliff," He said. They came. He pushed them. And they flew.

The Fearless Farmgirl
www.fearlessfarmgirl.blogspot.com
https://twitter.com/#!/Fearlessfarmgrl
Farmgirl Sister #2106
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic bottoms broke off jars in canner -why? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page