MtnGrlByTheBay
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

Erin
Lexington Park MD
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  05:37:49 AM  Show Profile
Hey Farmers! I'm a proud RidgeRunner. I grew up in the mountains of Tioga County, PA where we really DO have the [url=http://http://visittiogapa.com/canyon.html]Pennsylvania Grand Canyon.[/url]

My dad owned a Dairy Engineering Business, so I frequently tagged along with him, when he made his rounds of the local farms selling bulk tanks and silos and the like. These are warm memories for me as I sat along side of him in the Subaru Brat and we sang songs like "Tam Pierce" and "Big Rock Candy Mountain." We traversed the winding dirt roads that often dropped off to freezing cold creeks below. He knew all the back roads. We'd pull into farms, and usually a big ol' dog would bark along side the Brat. I couldn't wait to get out and smell the farm "fresh" air. I loved going in the barn and seeing all the cows lined up for milking. Loved going in the milk house to find the farmer. He'd usually welcome us with a "Hello there, Blackie!" as that was my dad's nickname for his jet black beard. I can still hear the milk pump, the soft moos of the cows, and the snap & sizzle of the old purple flourescent fly traps.

Often Mom would call us on the CB radio and tell us it was gettin' time for dinner. The kitchen was usually hot, but the fan was always running. It was special when I'd see a bunch of dandelion greens in the sink, or maybe a crate of strawberries, or steamy corn that she was slicing off the cob to freeze. It was often my job to go pull some onions from the garden and wash them off with the hose before she'd slice them up for the salad. Sometimes we'd just dip them in salt and eat them whole.

But all in all, and though I was surrounded by farms - I did not grow up a farmer. Both of my parents grew up as farmers's kids, and they'd had enough. My dad's homestead was only about a quarter mile up the road, so my grandparent's farm was always nearby. My three siblings are much older than I am - 13-16 years my senior - and they'd tell stories of playing on Grandpa & Grandma's farm, and helping with chores. But, by the time I was old enough to remember, my grandparents no longer worked the farm. They leased the barn space to other farmers in the area, but the chicken house was empty, the old wood silo was crumbling, and shoot... they didn't even have a dog!

It's in my blood though. The need to dig, sort, mend, fix, feed, nurture, house, grow. I have to touch the fur, feel the feathers, smell the manure and listen to the hay sway in the breeze.

But life doesn't always work out the way your genes mean you to. For some folks, that's a good thing. We all have to clear our own paths, even though God surely lays them before us. I'm far from a farm as I sit here typing my memories. I'm in a cubicle. A hard drive churns nearby as I copy a few thousand files into a repository. The only "homey" smell is my cup of coffee.

Though I "long for the country," I do admit that my life's got its blessings. I have a wonderful, patient, loving husband, who grew up near Kentucky horse farms, but never actually lived on one - sort of like me. I have a good-natured step-son, who's finding his way in this world, but is most happy tricking out his car in South East PA. I have two boys who just started school this week - one in 1st and one in 3rd. It'll be an interesting year, as I've found myself on the PTA board. We live in an average split-level home on about 3/4 of an acre. It's a nice little yard, but I have neighbors on all sides... and I can walk to Wal-Mart. So, I can't even begin to call it a farm.... or can I?

There's no hay loft, no pond, no barn. There IS, however, a white kitchen, a sewing maching, some knitting needles, a couple of quilts, some pie plates and old cookie cutters. There's a full tool box, a circular saw and even a John Deere tractor (ok, it's a lawn mower). It used to have a garden, but we put a little pool over it instead, as 2 sweaty boys much prefer cooling off in it, rather than picking beans.

I have three dogs - and know my full share about all dogs in general, as it's my favorite topic. We have a cat, who I rescued from the boys' daycare just before a huge snow storm. She's quite a huntress too, so she's welcome to stay as long as she wants. We have a couple of beta fish that were mostly part of a boy scout project. And about 6 weeks ago, my husband finally opened up a little part of my farm dream... chickens!

I built a chicken tractor and acquired 6 hens. I absolutely LOVE taking care of them. I LOVE checking on them every day, cleaning up after them, giving them a balanced diet, and just watching them as I let them free range for a little while in the backyard. I only have one layer just now, as the others are still growing, but lately she's been giving me beautiful brown eggs.

I've subscribed to Mary Jane's Farm magazine for a couple of years now. I know it's silly, but for some reason, until I actually got some "farm livestock" I didn't really feel worthy of joining in on the Mary Jane community. All my life, I was encouraged to "leave the farm," as my parents did. Farming was not a fond memory for either of my parents. It's not that it was shunned, but just not something that was cherished. My folks wanted us to get our education and get a good job - wherever that may be. Two of my siblings live in Wyoming, one just outside of Philadelphia, and I'm in Southern Maryland. Working a farm was just not an option my parents encouraged. Shoot - they didn't even want me to be a vet! Don't get me wrong - I love both of my parents, and am so thankful that they are still well, and active for their ages. We love to visit them, and my father's homestead is still in the family, so even my own boys get to ride ATVs in the pastures - even though they don't have cows in them anymore.

I wrestle with my farm blood all the time. We know Maryland is where we need to be. We can't afford any more land right now, and we can't afford to not be a two income family. Our boys are in a good school, and we both feel this is a good place for them to grow up. We do talk about our dreams though. Dreams of maybe 3 or 4 more acres... a bigger tractor... a few more chickens... a couple of goats... maybe even one of those pot bellied pigs. How about a garden? More time to knit and sew REAL things other than pillow cases and curtains.

Dreams don't all come true at once though, so maybe opening this Mary Jane's FarmGirl Connection window a crack will buy me some time. I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the forums, topics and sections, but I've got lots of files to load this morning, and it's quiet around here, so I'll stumble around for a bit. I humbly ask for your welcome and your wisdom.

Yours,
Erin
(MtnGrlBytheBay)

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  09:36:01 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Erin! You will find lots of wisdom and heart warming welcome from these girls. They are all wonderful. Enjoy your time with us all.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

alissa
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

alissa
mcalester Oklahoma
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  12:29:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi and welcome Erin, Enjoy your time with everyone.

alissa
Go to Top of Page

shanda
True Blue Farmgirl

522 Posts

Shanda
Broken Bow OK
USA
522 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  2:50:58 PM  Show Profile
Welcome! Loved reading your history, you've got a way with words! You'll enjoy it here, so much to learn. Again, Welcome.

Shanda

Farmgirl #4233
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  6:06:48 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Erin, you are not the only one that does not live on a farm. There are alot of us that are city folk wanna be farmgirls. You will fit right in with the rest of us.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2012 :  05:16:47 AM  Show Profile
We are all from such a wide variety of backgrounds it makes my head spin. But, yet we all can find a common thread on which to build friendship or at the very least respect. You are enthusiastically welcomed to be a part of the Farm. You'll find the headings you are most interested in visiting fairly quickly. For me it is, Over the Fence - yes, Sports - no, Stitching and Crafting - yes, Kitchen - not so much. You will feel like a regular when you start to recognize the farmgirl names of some of the regulars. Enjoy.

I hope your dream of more acreage comes true, but like most of us you are putting your family first right now. Makes sense.

Again, Welcome!!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

SallyT
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Sarah
Buford Georgia
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2012 :  05:24:23 AM  Show Profile
Marianne said it all. Welcome to a wonderful world.

Sarah

Warmth of Friendship Necessary for Life
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2012 :  07:25:04 AM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
welcome Erin, you have landed at a good place! Roxanna
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6593 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6593 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2012 :  07:34:00 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to the farm Erin we are so happy you are here.

Debbie

If you are lucky enough to live in the mountains you are lucky enough.
www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures
www.etsy.com/shop/MountainWingsAntique
http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com
http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2012 :  08:12:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi Erin,

Semding you a big hug from Rhode Island. You are going to love it here.

Marcy

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annette Kath
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Annette
Carlock IL
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2012 :  5:55:12 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Erin! Glad you are with us!

Annette
Go to Top of Page

MtnGrlByTheBay
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

Erin
Lexington Park MD
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2012 :  07:57:10 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Farmers! I've visited the porch. Very nice.

^^^I'm a RidgeRunner, and will always feel best when surrounded by the PA mountains.^^^

www.lastlapgang.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13625 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13625 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2012 :  10:28:54 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Erin,
Sending you a big, huge Colorado Rocky Mountain sized WELCOME to the Connection!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2012 :  1:30:12 PM  Show Profile
Welcome!!!

It is a wonderful thing that you have joined up. Farmgirl is truely a condition of the heart.

---
Farmgirl #2951
No longer renting, offical farmgirl.
Check out my new blog at http://simpileeliving.blogspot.com/
And my new Etsy listings http://www.etsy.com/shop/alterationsbyemily
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2012 :  2:31:02 PM  Show Profile
Hi There! Done chatted with ya over on the porch, but I'll send another BIG Ohio (((HUG))) yer way!
This is such an educational place with so many warm&wonderful Sistas! You'll be zooming around these threads in no time!
Loved your story...good readin'!
Again....WELCOME to the Farm Erin!!! *giggle*

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic A MaryPennsylAnder Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page