True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2012 :  08:56:54 AM  Show Profile
http://kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com/

I got a new Boer buck last night and also went this morning to get a doe who's kids need to be weaned. And I need milk. And she will be bred while she's here too. Anyway, go check out my blog for pictures.

What all is going on at your farms these days? Anyone else thinking about breeding?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

CheesemakerBeth
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Beth
PALESTINE Texas
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2012 :  09:08:03 AM  Show Profile
It's getting close to breeding time here in Texas. We got a new young buck this spring. Hope he's grown up enough to "do the job". Several weeks ago one of my sons and daughter-in-law were visiting and she just loves being in the country and playing with the goats. While petting the new billy, he "discovered" his weinie and showed it to her. After picking myself out of the dirt from ROFLOL, I assured her I was glad she was "making him a man" as he needed to begin thinking about doing the job we got him for. She laughed after the original shock was over.
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2012 :  09:45:08 AM  Show Profile
I'll be seperating my rams in a few weeks. The weather has turned cool at night and in the morning ... That's kind of a green light for the rams to start chasing the ewes. I don't like to breed this early, I try to hold off at least until the last of Oct. picking up pallets this weekend, now I just got to get hubbys butt in gear!

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

.Linz.
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Lindsey
Shippensburg Pennsylvania
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2012 :  10:22:09 AM  Show Profile
Kristin, I like that doe of yours - I love my Alpine girls but I'm really thinking of adding a Lamancha or Nubian to the herd - well eventually I want to add both but I have to decide which one I want first! It's hard to find any around here, though.

Breeding season is just about here - I already have plans for Fiona - she has a date set up with a handsome young buck in Dillsburg as soon as she gets her first or second heat. This'll be her first freshening and I'm excited to see what she gives and how her udder develops. I'm not sure who I'll breed Eclair too yet, but I won't be getting her bred until Novemberish, as I want to stagger breeding a bit.

"Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds." - Prov. 27:23
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2012 :  12:10:47 PM  Show Profile
Lindsey, yes, you need a Lamancha. They are amazing! I love mine. I have had Abby since we moved here 8 years ago. She'll be 11 in Feb next year. I am thinking about retiring her this year. It took a few months to get her milk good and she's just now looking good 5 months after having her 1 doe kid. So I will be on the hunt for a few more soon. I have her doe from last year and she's a big girl. She'll be bred next month. And then I have her doe kid from this year and she's a big girl too. Both beautiful does. And I have Sandy the Nubian and her doe kid from this year. I love Sandy but her kid is a stinker. Hard to catch. All ehr kids have been like that.

Beth, they are disgusting when they do all that "bucky" stuff. And when people aren't used to seeing that, they could be alarmed. This new Boer buck is not nery big but that department is more than big enough to do the job. I was just telling him he's got some growing to do to catch up to his huge testicles. But he's a cutie for sure. My brother had sent me some money for my birthday back in June to buy some more goats. So he's half that money.

Teri, I think your hubby needs a boot in the rear! Tell him it's not that hard and it will be fun to do something together. And the rams will be happy too. It took maybe an hour from start to finish to meake the little shelter. I think I want earlier lambs this year. But we'll probably have blizzards all winter since we had such a mild one last year. I'm putting my does in with the bucks starting in Sept. this year. My Lamancha buck has a date with some other does in Oct. So he's got to do his job here first.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic New buck and doe Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page