Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Finding Your Way Without Map or Compass
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Finding Your Way Without Map or Compass Next Topic  

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2012 :  10:30:20 AM  Show Profile
Hello Sisters,
I am reading the most fascinating book. Now when you read the title some of you will be thinking, "Oh my, this hen has far too much time on her hands!" Well, yes it is true at this point in my life, the nest long empty, syndromes taking there daily stab, yet I have my persistence and curiousity about the world we live in. I truly just love the earth, and if I were a youth again would probably be navigating around different stomping grounds just as the young scouts did during the pony express days. In addition to enjoying the Foxfire Series (wow what knowledge!)I have been reading, Finding Your Way Without Map or Compass by Harold Gatty. The tips are so useful and even are used by our modern day military. Do you know why so many people who are lost end up walking in circles to the place they started from? Can you judge the distance to a place yonder? Incredible information. I read a phrase that will be useful to all our Palouse region and Idaho Farmgirls in the Chapter "Special Effects of Sun and Wind". "To show how sun and wind can write a joint signature across a natural landscape, I have chosen a particular area, the details of which can be appreciated by any interested observor. In the Palouse region of the southeastern part of the state of Washington, and extending into northern Idaho erosion and drift through the centuries have brought about a dunelike topograhpy by working the soil into a succession of hills. In the winter, the wind blows almost continuously from the southwest, and tends to lay bare the windward slopes of the hilltops, and to pile deep snowdrifts on their leeward slopes immediately below their crests. Over the long years this has made the inclines facing southwest more gradual than those leeward, which are inclined to be steep. In this region then, the location of the thickest snow cover is due principally to the great force of the southwest wind. The difference in the steepness of the slopes is very considerable. Those facing the southwest are gradual--averaging less than eighteen degrees from the horizontal--whereas the northeast slopes incline about fifty degrees from the horizontal. This state of affairs persists throughout nearly the whole of the Palouse region so constantly that in the summertime any traveler can easily determine his direction anywhere in the area simply by watching the sides of the hills." The book is in-depth and most fascinating. I'm about to read the chapters on what the moon, sun and stars can tell us. I've read about the birds, trees, waves and swells, etc.
May you each find your way in all that you do.
Annie
Farmgirl sister #3655

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.

Edited by - AnnieinIdaho on Aug 18 2012 10:40:58 AM

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2012 :  10:42:28 AM  Show Profile
Sorry---the title wasn't annie in henderson. Corrected that for the 4 readers already.
Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2012 :  12:29:59 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the information on the book. Sounds really good. I'll check it out.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Finding Your Way Without Map or Compass Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page