Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Kindle Fire or Nook Tablet 16GB
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Kindle Fire or Nook Tablet 16GB Next Topic  

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  06:55:16 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I am looking at both. What is your pros/cons?

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

www.flossesandcrosses.blogspot.com

www.morganicinstitute.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  07:11:18 AM  Show Profile
I'm so glad you asked, Amy... I've been considering buying one or the other for my son for homeschool next year. A lot of his books can be purchased for a lot less money as e-books, but I have heard so many conflicting stories that I am totally at an impasse and don't know which to buy! Makes me want to pull my hair out! I can't wait to hear what the girls think... Thanks again - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  07:24:20 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
We are leaning towards the Nook. Just because of all the extras. I have Netflix and I can use it on this. Is it worth the 250.00?

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  07:53:49 AM  Show Profile
My husband and I just bought a Kindle Fire about a month ago. We too were debating which one to purchase. I liked the Kindle more. I like having more options or locations in getting books through. I am not sure about the Nook, but the Kindle will also let you down load your music to it.

We both have been very happy about our Kindle Fire and use it often.

PS we only use the gift cards for payments. I would never use a real credit card over the web if I can help it.

Madelynne

www.johnandmadelynne.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  08:10:10 AM  Show Profile
Amy, we were leaning toward the Nook, too. But my Mom loves her Kindle and said we would have a much better selection of books through Amazon, and that it was cheaper. I looked, and don't see a huge difference in that respect. The Nook does have capability to download selections from sellers other than Barnes & Noble, but from what I've heard, the memory available to do so is minimal, so you're pretty much tied to B&N for your books with the Nook. I don't really mind that - we do a lot of our book-buying through B&N. But when I compared the cost of actual books (most of those we buy second hand) vs. e-books plus the cost of the Nook (or Kindle), the savings were so obvious. My husband and I personally prefer having a real book in hand to read, but when you take into consideration the exorbitant cost of school books, the e-readers make a LOT of sense. Plus, our son is a techie - he'd just love it. If we purchased the Nook for $250, our savings on the e-books plus the cost of books we'd have to buy in hard copy still far outweighs the cost of buying all our books second hand. The savings factor for homeschool is a no-brainer (my son is in high school, and we do an extremely literature-intensive classical education curriculum). It's just deciding WHICH one to buy - Kindle or Nook - that has me on the fence.

My Mom would probably be in full agreement with you, Madelynne. :) She likes being able to buy books anywhere and not being limited to mostly one store. I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the other place she enjoys buying from, but they are primarily an e-book outlet. She's thrilled with her Kindle. :)

I'm just still not so sure! I'm one of those people who have to beat it to death before I'm sure. I guess part of my problem is that I have this intense loyalty to Barnes & Noble - we've always shopped there. I have a great comfort level with them both online and in person as far as selection, cost and customer service... Is it only the extras that are swaying you toward the Nook side?

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on May 24 2012 08:11:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  08:43:15 AM  Show Profile
Plus, another factor that is making me lean towards the Nook is that if there is ever any problems, or if I need technical help, I can just waltz into our local Barnes & Noble and there is an employee dedicated to helping with the Nook just waiting for me... That's a lot better than talking to someone over the phone, who might not even understand you... or vice versa...

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  11:22:33 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Yes, customer service is a big plus. I am looking at the one with 16GB. So I don't think I will run out of room.

Yes, I get tons of free ebooks from Amazon. I have the Kindle thingy for my PC.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - May 26 2012 :  3:00:08 PM  Show Profile
I love my nook. also barnes and noble will replace free if something happens to it. My nook touch had an issue they couldn't correct so they gave me a new one no questions. They have better service I think than amazon and their prices are fairly close and every Friday is free Friday where you can get several ebooks for free. Just my thoughts

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~Teacup Lane http://frommyteacup.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - May 26 2012 :  4:57:05 PM  Show Profile
I would also consider if your local library offers ebooks and which ereaders it supports. I get free ebooks and also support my local library at the same time! If if were me, I would invest the money into an Ipad. I did and Ive never been happier with my choice. Its bigger,brighter and has a ton of options available. If Ipad werent an option, then I would choose a Nook because of the B&N customer service.

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 27 2012 :  3:16:54 PM  Show Profile
My brother/dad gave me a Nook Tablet for my birthday...love, love, love it!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - May 28 2012 :  12:20:08 PM  Show Profile
we bought a kindle fire in february, very happy with it and it has so many other options besides the books to it
Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2012 :  06:20:12 AM  Show Profile
I have one of the original nooks. I also have an ipad II. I love my nook. Reading with it is like reading from paper. Reading on my ipad sometimes strains my eyes. Its like reading from your computer. I can read my nook outside on the deck, but not the ipad. Too much glare.
As for memory, you dont need to store all our books on your nook. Once you purchase your book from B&N its yours. You can arcive it so it is not being stored on the nook. I believe you can do the same with amazon, but you will have to check that yourself. I have purchased a number of e-books from amazon too.
The one bad thing about the electronic books, you can't lone them to a friend. Some of the nook books you can, but its a one time deal. My sister and I both have nooks and what we have done in the past is just lone each other our actual nook. She takes mine for a while and I have hers.
B&N has a free book on fridays. You walk into the store and you can download that book. They also offer a ton, and I am talking a super ton of free books. Lots and lots of classics. I don't know about amazon.
And your library. They are now offering e-books. What a great idea. It works just like a book from the shelf. You have so many weeks to read it. If you don't renew it, it will disapear from your e-reader. Its kind of nice, no late fees. (thats how it works at my library)
Anyway, for a young reader, and if reading is what you are purhasing this unit for, I would choose the nook with the e-ink.
As for service, you will need to purchase an additional agreement on either for extended service.

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world..." (anomymous)
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2012 :  08:53:41 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Sounds great. I think I know what I am getting for Christmas. LOL

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2012 :  10:20:36 AM  Show Profile
Which ever one you get don't worry it will be outdated or replace by a better one in 3 months. I work for one of the companys who makes them, and they just were released and they were already talking about a better verison ...
I think they both are good, but I lean more with the fire.

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com

Edited by - kysheeplady on Jul 28 2012 5:34:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2012 :  06:41:42 AM  Show Profile
I have a kindle touch..not the fire. I wanted it solely for reading books and wanted the paper technology.
I have several family members that have the Fire and love it. My sister has a Nook and loves hers too.
I like amazon and the book selection and the kindle price and you can borrow books from other kindle owners so we opted for that.
I am not a huge Barnes and Nobles fan.

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2012 :  11:38:48 AM  Show Profile
I have the Nook 16g and it is really great! I love the free book fridays Barnes and Noble offers..There are so many things this pad can do. It's great to take somewhere where you will have to sit and wait, this gives you something to read or play on
The only downside is I put some games on it and now have to wrestle it away from my nephew!
I got mine through HSN so I got the payments broken up which helped a lot.
There is also a micro sd card I've read about and has been highly recommended from a site called N2A (Nook to Android) you can buy which will turn it into an andriod device and then you can download the Kindle app and get books from Amazon too. It does not void your Nook warranty because if you take the card out it returns to being a regular nook and your warranty is still in place.

Caron

Farmgirl Sister #254
Heart of Texas Farmgirls Mother Hen

"An Apron:Its strings gently tug at us, tenderly, softly calling us to turn back to the old ways".-Above Rubies Magazine
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2012 :  3:32:06 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Thanks, Caron.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2012 :  10:58:09 AM  Show Profile
Amy, I just wanted to let you know that my sister just gifted one of her Kindles to my son for his birthday! How awesome is she?!!! We LOVE it!!! I've actually downloaded at least half a dozen books that my son will need for homeschool this year for FREE - she has already saved us over $400, and many (but not all) of the others he will need are listed on Amazon for $1.99 or less! NO KIDDING!!! I will still have to purchase some bound textbooks and consumable workbooks, but from my calculations, the downloads will save us well over $1000 (and I usually buy secondhand!!!). The only drawback is that I'm a Barnes & Noble junkie, and from what I've learned, it seems that you cannot download books from Barnes & Noble onto the Kindle. But Amazon really does have pretty much everything we're looking for. I personally feel there's nothing like the smell and feel of a good book in hand, but the Kindle is saving us a bundle with homeschool, and to be honest, it's extremely easy to use, so much lighter and much more convenient to carry. Plus there are TONS of free books to download from Amazon.. I've even been able to download quite a few free books for myself! I'm hooked! Oh! And we recently were on a road trip and were able to download even while on the open highway! It was awesome!!! I accomplished a lot and didn't have to be sitting at my computer to do it! No lost time! YES!

Have you made your decision yet? I'm here if you need me!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2012 :  6:08:19 PM  Show Profile
I got the Nook Color Tablet for Christmas and I love it! I think you would probably be happy either way, but for me, I wanted to be able to walk into B&N and talk face to face to get the customer service and support I need if I have questions. That factor alone is a good reason to lean towards the Nook!
Good Luck!
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Kindle Fire or Nook Tablet 16GB Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page