neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2012 :  12:09:07 PM  Show Profile
Our garden did very poorly as well this year, so disheartening & discouraging. Not only did we have to deal with record heat and drought, the little that did produce was consumed by critters. I've never seen such a difficult garden season. Early on turtles came from the creek and ate all our strawberries, raccoons dessimated our corn, tore down the stalks and ate every last ear of corn, green beans didn't do well at all, tomatoes were a disaster and have been for the last three years, DH went out a couple weeks ago to dig up our sweet potatoes and shrews had eaten almost all of them, we got about a half basket and were planning on having sweet potatoes long into winter. We have enough for thanksgiving but that's about it! I guess I should be thankful we even have that. One thing that flourished to the point of having to cut it out were sunchokes/Jerusalem artichokes, but we don't eat them very much and don't know anyone who does so cleared them out, they were taking over. I sure hope next year is better, my goodness, only thing I got to can this year was some spaghetti sauce and apple butter. Very disappointing. Our local apple orchard owner's crop did so poorly this year he had to take an outside job, first time in decades his family has not been able to earn a living from their apples. Our farmer's market has dwindled down to very few, local health department stopped farmers from selling eggs, and other sellers from vending their honey, etc. Sad situation for sure.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic My Garden Was a Flop Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page