Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2012 :  10:28:25 AM  Show Profile
Yep... We did it! My foster daughter and I bit the bullet yesterday and put up 105 quarts - that's over 26 gallons! - of grape juice! Very satisfying, indeed, but unfortunately, I think we broke ourselves in the process! LOL! I am so stiff, so sore... my hands won't work, my back is killing me... I'm not sure I'm even seeing straight today! LOL! I'm ashamed to admit it, but my jammies are just so comfortable, that I'm still lazing about in them at almost 1:30 in the afternoon! (I'm moving sooooo slowly today! LOL!) She had to go to work early this morning, so I made her go home at 9:00ish last night, and I stayed up until 3:00 this morning to finish. The poor girl texted me while on her break a while ago and said her hands and feet are killing her. What do they say? "Nothing ventured - nothing gained?" Well, we ventured, we gained! Let's just say that in the process we have developed a healthy respect for the women of today and yesteryear who so heartily dedicate their time and energy to putting foods by!

The exciting thing is that although this huge undertaking was her first experience ever in canning, she is hooked. As soon as my pressure canner arrives, we've already got an entire list of premade foods (chili, soup, stew, etc.) we're planning to make. She's also trying to plan how to squirrel away a couple of Saturdays a month for us to get together for canning and freezing foods in an ongoing manner. Being a wife, mother, daughter, on top of working full-time and being a full-time nursing student, she finds too often than not that her family is relying on fast foods and convenient pre-made meals from the grocer. Knowing how expensive and unhealthy that can be, she is very excited about the prospect of preparing healthy, wholesome homemade "convenience" foods for her family herself!

As for me, I'm just thrilled to have someone to share in this hearty endeavor. It is just so nice and SO much fun to have such dedicated quality time with one of my best friends in the whole wide world, knowing we were doing something so important, healthy and meaningful for our families. I'm a very happy, very blessed farmgirl indeed! :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Aug 07 2012 10:29:59 AM

Kammi
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Kim
Phoenix Az
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2012 :  10:48:42 AM  Show Profile
Wow, I am impressed. My record is putting away 47 jars of jam and jelly in one day. Kudos to you and yours.

Happy canning.

Best always

Kim
Farmgirl #4256

Remember… Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body. Instead, you should slide in sideways, glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, in a body thoroughly used up, worn out and screaming “Woohooo! What a ride!”

Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2012 :  11:10:31 AM  Show Profile
Wow - our garden didn't produce enough for anything! My cousin tore out the peas b/c they were all dried up anyhow, there aren't too many cucumbers (enough for her husband to have a sandwich every couple of days), the pumpkins & watermelon aren't ready yet. The beans did fairly well. Mine didn't do anything. I don't think they like the pots. They all looked so nice & green & lovely....but I've only gotten about a handful off of them. Oh well. Live & learn, right? Some year I'll have a huge productive garden...and be able to put things in the freezer or can them!

That is great that you were able to put up that much! Good for you!

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13640 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13640 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2012 :  11:51:35 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
YAY! for you girls! That IS a job!
There is nothing like doing your own canning and freezing but it is work!
Rest up! Recover!
Hugs!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  8:02:09 PM  Show Profile
? Grape juice? That's an awful lot of grapes!!!!!!!!!!

http://troutwife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  8:40:15 PM  Show Profile
Yep! 62 lbs., if we counted correctly, Sheila! LOL! We used a Mennonite recipe that my sister-in-law shared with us. SUPER easy. Basically her version is: wash the grapes, add 1 cup of whole, unpeeled grapes to a quart jar, add 1/4 cup of sugar, then add enough boiling water to 1/4 inch head space, add the lid and screw tightly, process for 10 minutes in a hot water bath, and that's it. You just strain the sediment in cheesecloth before serving.

The actual recipe calls for 1 - 2 cups of grapes and 1/2 - 1 cup of sugar, but my sister-in-law said that she only uses one cup of grapes and 1/4 cup of sugar, and my brother and their kids love it so much, she can't keep it on the shelf! I accidentally wrote down that we were supposed to crush the grapes, so we probably got more than one cup in the jar once they were crushed. My poor foster daughter's arms were about to fall off from so doing. And I don't think it's going to hurt the recipe at all.

We haven't been together since Monday night, so I am waiting to sample it when she comes to pick up her 4+ cases. I'll tell you, all those jars are quite a sight to behold! I took pictures, but haven't had a moment to download them. I'll try to remember to post them, though. :)

Whoa - SERIOUS thunder and lightning outside... better sign off! Just don't feel like we're miracle workers or anything... we haven't tasted it yet. And there WERE two of us, after all. Once we got into a groove, there was no stopping us! LOL!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  8:48:19 PM  Show Profile
Yummmmmm :) We make that too! It's my husband's favorite! We don't crush the grapes either :) When it's time to drink it we strain it and mix it with a quart of water. mmmmmmm :)

http://troutwife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  04:01:14 AM  Show Profile
Look into getting a steam juicer and you'll save your hands and wrists A LOT of wear and tear!

Found out about one of these from Lehmans and have never looked back. One of the jellies I make is seedless blackberry. (I only use wlild- and so pulping from the wild variety always left that biter after taste in the back of your throat) Makes a HUGE difference when you don't have to work your wrists to the bone. And since the seeds aren't crushed from the pulping process any more, there isn't any bitter aftertaste and the juice is crystal purple!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  10:51:00 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Shiela - it's so good to know someone else has tried it. The grapes floating and settling in the jar look pretty yucky, but I'm dying to open a can and try it. I hope my foster daughter can get over here this weekend... My guys are bugging me to open a jar!!!

I didn't even know there WAS such a thing, Anna! I just checked out the Lehman's site, though - that's pretty awesome! Maybe that will be on my wish list for next year's harvest!!! :) Thank you for the tip!

I've got the canning bug... You'd think I'd be over it after canning all that juice, but actually, I'm getting excited about it. I would LOVE for my husband to build me a pantry, so I could fill it up with wonderful jars of homemade, home-canned goodness. We'll see! We'll see!

Happy preserving!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic 105 Quarts... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page