knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2012 :  3:41:02 PM  Show Profile
Lately I'm sorely tempted to drag our TV to the corner (though DH would be very sad as he does really like his big screen).

The problem is the little ones (9, 5 and 2) are just little monsters when it's on, it doesn't matter whats on (could be an educational show or cartoons) within half an hour they're at each other's throats and being just nasty to each other. TV goes off and they're back to being mostly civil to each other. Any other parents experience something like this. Maybe it's the background noise?

Farmgirl Sister #3759

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

"The things that matter most are not really things after all"

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2012 :  5:43:30 PM  Show Profile
is it what they are watching? even cartoons are violent, remember "Monkey see, monkey do"...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2012 :  9:03:30 PM  Show Profile
no Tina, I used to think too it was what was on, but even things like Seasame Street and other "educational" programs makes especially DD1 crazy, it doesn't seem to effect DD2 or DS like that though. However, I think the TV effects every one differently. It never effected me but would completely disable my brother, and same for my husband, if it's on they are like zombies, and can't hear or see anything else going on around them. The TV is just something else in the room for me I'm not ALL enthralled in it, like they get.

I noticed for DD1 it takes her about 2 to 3 days to detox. It's not really that she is violent when it is on, it's more she is like ADHD SUPER hyper drive, bouncing off the walls, CRAZY! She also is more whiny and complainy, boooored type when she watches too much. The less it's on the less "bored" she is, and more she finds to do with her toys and things she has around the house.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

cori1312
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Leslie
Fairborn Ohio
USA
64 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2012 :  06:33:55 AM  Show Profile
I don't suppose it would anything as simple as waiting until bedtime to watch? If you have a DVR, that might be a solution for DH to watch shows at his convenience. It has worked well for us.

"You don't have a soul; you are a soul. You have a body." - C.S. Lewis

Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2012 :  06:34:37 AM  Show Profile
I wouldn't toss the television. But my children don't have those problems. They do watch too much at times, but I blame myself for that by letting them.
We have went without cable and only had dvd player hooked up at times. I am thinking that we are going to do that again.
I enjoy movies so I wouldn't be able to toss, but I understand your concern. I would just maybe keep dvd player and no cable.
I do have friends that only have dvd player and it works for them and I know one or two that don't have tv at all.
I would make sure your husband is on board with whatever you decide :)

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2012 :  07:37:33 AM  Show Profile
Not trying to be snarky here, but, is there an off switch? You need to take charge, make an agreement with DH about watching times, and give the kids a tv fast. When our kids were young, especially in summer when we wanted them outside and active, there was two hours of tv a week, period. They could choose, and they chose wisely. It turned out to be The Waltons and Little House most of the time. That tells you how old my kids are!
Seriously, if the tv winds them up that much, pull the plug!

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2012 :  08:22:20 AM  Show Profile
We do have a tv. But I really monitor the time they watch it. the kids (and even hubby) turn into zombies when the tv is on. It drives me crazy. Before I met my hubby, I didn't have tv for 3 years. It was the best. I was very productive with my time, the kids & I spent a tons of time doing things together and I didn't have a cable bill.

But hubby insists we have tv. so we do compromise with basic cable. I feel tv is a complete waste of time and money, but some people enjoy it. And I only let the kids watch tv when all the chores are done and weather is bad outside.

Good Luck.
Arttie
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2012 :  08:28:10 AM  Show Profile
Ladies, thanks for the input and yes you are very right there is an off swtich (which I use quite often) but I am the parent and that's that, I need to be stand my ground with the the TV issue and be proactive in limiting when it's on.

Farmgirl Sister #3759

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

"The things that matter most are not really things after all"
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2012 :  10:03:20 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I really have to limit screen time too. My daughter gets to be a zombie watching, then crabby when she can't.

It being so hot here, we have been cooped up inside. So I let her watch more often. I usually let her watch dvds too, but with the same result.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

www.flossesandcrosses.blogspot.com

www.morganicinstitute.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2012 :  12:27:33 PM  Show Profile
My little people are soon to be 7,5, and 3. They were so intent on watching TV that they ignored everything going on around them. Though DH and I missed it for a few months, we totally pulled out the TV. The kids were miserable the first week, but now that it is back, they aren't as attached and we limit their watching time. Nothing before noon and only one movie before bed. So they only watch about 2 hours maximum on any given day. I know 2 hours may seem like a lot but actually, its really only one movie and one TV show if you break it down. People lived long before tvs and it wont hurt them not to have it. Just putting it out there as an option
Good luck!
Hugs
Jessie

"Wonder Woman hasn't got a cape, she just turned her apron around"
Farmgirl Sister #235
Go to Top of Page

shanda
True Blue Farmgirl

522 Posts

Shanda
Broken Bow OK
USA
522 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2012 :  3:11:14 PM  Show Profile
Just throwing out another option, internet tv. And this is new to me. I bought a little device called a roku at bestbuy and you hook it up to your tv and internet. I got a monthly subscription to a thing called hulu. I can watch any tv show, at whatever time I like. We also use netflixs for movies. and it has a free news channels, free music, and lots of other things I haven't even tried yet. The hulu is 7.99 and netflix 7.99 so $16 a month is better than any cable in our area. (of course you have to pay for the internet but I have that for my use already)

This doesn't solve the watch/no watch issue, but it puts the tv totally in your control, what you watch and when. And it cuts way back on those ugly commercials! (and you can play Angry Birds! Ha)

Shanda

Farmgirl #4233
Go to Top of Page

rschaaf
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Renee
Wooster Ohio
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2012 :  5:38:46 PM  Show Profile
i think tv is good and bad. it can be educational, but trashy too. my 22 month old doesn't even know about elmo, sponge bob or anything else, which makes shopping easy cause hes not drawn to those things (at least yet...). he watched baby einstein when he was littler, but know he just wants to be busy. i've noticed that when i have the radio on or the tv, he tends to be a little more hyper as well, so i just shut it down. it seems to be just more stimulation, which is something he doesn't need. we do books, blocks, tractors, crayons, etc. that require him to "do" since he's so busy. personaly, it is our conviction to raise him without tv. we even got rid of our dish recently cause we've stopped watching tv. if there is something on that we want to watch, we use television fanatic, but we rarely do that anymore.

"There is beauty, there is grace, in my peaceful country place!"

See what I'm up to at: http://www.lifeonctfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2012 :  7:31:21 PM  Show Profile
We got rid of our tv in 1984 and haven't missed it. Our daughter grew up without it and due to that we as a family have a very close relationship. When we are around tv now we are shocked at what is on and considered okay; even many of the commercials are terrible.

~Cathy~
Farmgirl 2428 http://www.my-fairhaven.blogspot.com/
http://adaywithnonnaandboompa.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  09:16:29 AM  Show Profile
We have a TV, but no TV service, if that makes sense. Just DVDs for us. It works well, and since we can only get Satellite TV due to our location, it also saves us considerable money in a year's time. Ty is only 9 months old, so he watches Baby Einstein DVDs and loves the colors and movement. He also watches movies with us, but tends to fall asleep.

If Ty develops negative reactions towards the TV, we wouldn't hesitate in removing it from our home. Every family is different, and every parent has the right to make their own decisions in the interest of their children.

~Hen 4316~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana.
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Highland cattle, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, Silver Fox rabbits, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2012 :  6:02:23 PM  Show Profile
We also only have Netflix and internet options. We are much more productive. There is the technology stimulation thing we all have to watch. I can't fall asleep if I'm watching a movie right before bed. We let DD watch in the morning because seriously we need our coffee without a 6 year old ready to conquer the world, "blah blah blah blah!!! and then blah blah blah!!!..." But after about 30 minutes I'm awake and ready to go outside or to town. But yeah, 2 hours a day max or else she seems to go insane.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://www.etsy.com/shop/BitsofEntropy?ref=si_shop
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2012 :  3:47:24 PM  Show Profile
We have a tv but its only antenna (basic channels) and its not in the most convenient place. I guess with us the kids are too stinkin' busy to get a lot of TV time so its kind of a non-issue. If we watch its mostly DVDS from the library anyway. My hubby loves TV but I don't much care for it. But it sure is nice for rainy days when we have family movie times. Little House on the Prairie and Little RAscals are the best!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

www.amydingmann.com
Go to Top of Page

MtnGrlByTheBay
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

Erin
Lexington Park MD
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2012 :  1:04:16 PM  Show Profile
We have a TV. I grew up with a TV with about 13 channels, but that was an amazing technological luxury in my boonies back then. I grew up with PBS stapels like Mr. Rogers, Sesame Street, the Electric Company, and then loved watching those evening shows like Barney Miller, WKRP, and the news sitting on my Dad's lap, while my mom made dinner. My 2nd love was Bo Duke, and it was a crazy treat when I was able to stay up and watch the Dukes of Hazzard. And there was always Disney on Sunday nights with popcorn and pepsi.

I am a TV Zombie. Some of my favorite days are laying on the couch watching Animal Planet all morning, or watching a marathon of Storage Wars or American Pickers. MY DH and I share our love for certain shows. We nearly have one a night - Pickers, Storage Wars, Face Off, Survivor, Dexter (ok, we have to rent that, but still). But it's OUR DETOX time. I need the Zombie time. TV doesn't depend on me. It doesn't need me to be somewhere or cook something, or compile something, or give a report on something, or fix something.... it just entertains me. There are worse recreational activities. Ironic though - I'm not a big movie fan. I don't like committing to 2 hours at a time. Silly.

As for my kids, they are kept busy. They really don't ask to watch TV that much, and are usually in bed WITHOUT TV IN THEIR ROOMS in the evenings. YS is often puttering around outside,and OS is usually engrossed in creating something with Legos or reading one of his Diary of a Wimpy Kid books for the 100th time. He does, however, sneak off to his laptop (next to his dad's) and watch Lego videos on YouTube. He had more Wii time than I would have liked these past few weeks of summer too, but now that schools back in session, he really only plays for a little while on the weekend mornings while DH I sleep in a little.

Yes, I'm guilty of putting a movie or a show on to "babysit" them while I work on a project from time to time as well, but REALLY try to reserve that for when I really need it.

They are at daycare or school all day too, so there are no TVs there either, except for the occasional movie treat. All things considered, I think I probably watch more TV than my kids do. It is my favorite way to wind down in the evenings - usually not starting until 8:30 anyway! And yes... I'm a total zombie when I watch. If you want to talk to me, you'd be best off to do it during commercials... but now with the DVR, i just FFWD through those. Terrible, I know. With all the internet options out there now, I MIGHT be tempted to give up cable.... but my day is busy enough as it is. I need my zombie time.

^^^I'm a RidgeRunner, and will always feel best when surrounded by the PA mountains.^^^

www.lastlapgang.com
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  6:36:25 PM  Show Profile
Try using it as a reward and definite limitations as to how long and what they watch. Give each one a seat of their own eg.one gets daddy's chair (if he's not home), one gets the couch, one gets the foot stool, or whatever. No one can get in the others seat. If one seat is the ideal spot, then each day is someone else's turn to sit there. Teach them to work it out.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  8:37:27 PM  Show Profile
We really love OTR (Old Time Radio), I can't believe I didn't mention it earlier. It's one of our favorite things to listen to. We like the Bickersons, and Dragnet the best, the kids really like Superman too. (and I must say the radio version is hilarious! Like he flies through a SHUT window, and you hear glass breaking! lol) Any way I think it brings on a lot more for imagination play, and seems to not make them so nutso!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sharon65
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Sharon
Myersville md`
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  05:59:58 AM  Show Profile
We have a 4 year old who was a HUGE surprise seeing as I was 42 and my 4 older children were teenagers.
Perhaps it is because I am older and wiser, or maybe because I can spend more time with him because I don't work this time around, but I limit the amount of television he watches and observing his imagination at work is wonderful.
My husband is a big sports and television fan and watches it all the time. I have noticed when Liam watches the 40's war movies with his dad his personality becomes more aggressive. He's bouncing all over the house playing war. He was doing "shoot outs" in the living room for weeks after visiting my in laws this summer and watching my father in laws favorite black and white westerns.
There are programs I like but I usually knit in the evening while my husband flips continuously through the channels.
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  7:19:41 PM  Show Profile
We are also of the opinion that cable TV is completely optional and unneeded.

My husband and I no longer have children at home. But we didn't feel we needed it even when they were there.

We get broadcast TV and some channels from the cable from our high-speed internet. I love Project Runway, since we don't get the channel I watch it every week on the internet when I have time.

Otherwise we just watch broadcast TV when we want TV. Mostly morning news- weather and traffic- and Tonight show. Don't need to know much else. Listen to NPR on the way to work.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blogs at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com (farming) http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com (knitting) or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  8:44:32 PM  Show Profile
We have Dish. The only thing I watch is the Weather Channel. My husband loves the military channels. I think that's the only reason we pay for Dish. If not, I would not care to have a TV. I would rather be outside playing, or working on the piano, or reading, or playing board games, or card games.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Zippy
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Zee
Idaho
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2012 :  09:20:47 AM  Show Profile
Hello Anne Marie,

Hope you don't mind me piping in :)
I also had experienced similar behaviors in my children when they were young. A few years ago I decided to start limiting how much tv is watched. Television really does effect young kids and how they develop. I learned quite a bit by reading about the effects on young children. If I had known then what I know now, I would not have allowed my kids to watch tv until they were much older. It really can be destructive. But, I also know it's a difficult habit to break and needs to be done incrementally. We have a hard time with it too, even though we don't watch as much as the average family. Why don't you try eliminating it, while the kids are awake, for about a week and see what happens? Make it upbeat and fun, so they don't feel like they're being punished,lol. You may be surprised at the results :)

"Only A Life Lived for Others is A Life Worthwhile."
~Albert Einstein

http://pinterest.com/zipporahd/
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic TV or no TV Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page