Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Always be nice/pleasant to your customers...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Always be nice/pleasant to your customers... Next Topic  

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  10:42:00 PM  Show Profile
We stopped in today at a place to peruse his items. Firstly, we walked in and it seemed no one was around. Finally, we found him in the back, working at a desk. Then I was looking at a furniture piece and asked how much it was. It was an unfinished piece and needed a new pad, he said a price and I recoiled, actually I said "OH!", it was so high!! He said something snarky, I didn't catch it, but, there was definitely condesension (sp) in it!! Hubby asked about treadle sewing machines and the guy acted so strange that hubby was off-put for a second. So, we didn't waste much time and left pretty quickly. Hubby can get on with anyone, just have to have a pulse and a breath, and he can buddy up with anyone!!

We were walking out to the car and I said I wouldn't have bought from that guy just on principle!! Hubby agreed! So, we stopped at a little store on the way home and I told the cashier what had happened. She said the guy was an a*****e and was trying to sell his stuff so he could leave the area!!

Can you imagine treating customers so badly they wouldn't want to buy from you?? It was so strange!! But, he made his bed and getting to lie in it. Too bad, so sad.

So, even if a customer looks to be a pill, who knows, they may have the means to buy your reasonably priced stuff!! It pays to be pleasant to customers!!

My website:

http://twohorseswalkingdesigns.com

http://antlersantiqueswindchimes.weebly.com

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  07:18:09 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I agree. If I am not comfortable with a shop owner, I will not buy either. Be friendly, and people feel more cozy and do spend more. His loss for sure.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  5:14:50 PM  Show Profile
Some are just like that. back in the early 00's, there was a lot of women who were selling hand mouse drawn graphics, many were selling life time memberships to their sites as well (ended up the life time was about a year! lol) any way, I wanted to join one particular woman's membership on her site, and I got the riot act, cause when I asked to join, and where to send the paypal money (you had to pay to join), because I didn't start my email with Hello, how are you today, yadda yadda, yadda, and instead only asked the question pertinent to joining her membership! lol She said she didn't want rude customers like me...and I was like um.....how about I'm the one paying you, and why would you be rude to a paying customer? Ok...apparently some mental health problems is what I figured it must of boiled down to cause I don't know many "emails" that begin very formal, especially for a customer joining something, I mean I guess I could want to know how her and her life was, but I didn't even "know" her, I just wanted to buy her items that she was selling. lol haha I sometimes wonder how many actually were granted membership since I rarely have seen a formal email like she wanted.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  7:42:11 PM  Show Profile
I agree, and I think you did the right thing. I, too, would have walked out.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2012 :  05:19:57 AM  Show Profile
Great post, I try to greet each customer who walks in my door. We also have a place to sit , rest and chat. We have had many return customers just because they said they love to visit:) I love to hear I make the customers feel at home even if only window shopping.

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10

Farmgirl sister #1156
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1501 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1501 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2012 :  07:10:20 AM  Show Profile
What a dissapointing experience! I would have walked away, too. I've been to a few antiques stores in the past where the owners also operated a separate business out of the same location. It's sort of disheartening when they abruptly run off to answer the phone or take care of a business customer. If you want to have happy customers you definitely need to create friendly, engaging rapport! I tend to associate antiques with experiences, and thinking back, almost all of my past purchases have been deeply influenced by the conversations with shop owners and their graciousness during my visit. It pays to be nice!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2012 :  05:01:59 AM  Show Profile
They say word of mouth can make you or break you. A bad experience with a business gets told more than a positive. Sad but true
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Always be nice/pleasant to your customers... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page