True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  7:18:16 PM  Show Profile
http://kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com/2012/07/around-gardens-today.html

I have been working in both my gardens on second plantings of just about everything. Here are some pictures on my blog of what some of the gardens look like so far. Come along for a strool in a Ga. garden!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  7:36:54 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Kris! I'm impressed with your garden. Our garden is much smaller. Second plantings...... I better get to that soon. The weather has been so hot, I wonder if they'll survive.
I love the bird egg picture. Your property is just beautiful. I'd be outside every day.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  06:03:30 AM  Show Profile
Great Garden! I commented on your blog about the mystery plant, but I'll tell you here too. It's definitely not wheat or oats. It's probably sorghum or milo. Hope that helps!

~Hugs,
April :)

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  08:25:30 AM  Show Profile
Thanks April. It's probably from the sparrows eating chicken feed. Dropped from one end or the other more than likely. Because I sure didn't plant it. And where it's popped up couldn't have been in any seed packets. But who knows? I'll keep it and feed it to something around here. I guess it needs to dry on the stalk?

Marly, you probably do need to get your second planting going soon. What I just planted was more beans and peas, squashzucchini, cucumbers and beets. I'll plant fall things in a few weeks, like lettuce, greens, Brussel sprouts, cabbage. I am going to mowing down some more old bean rows and cutting down the poor little tiny corn stalks. I;ll give that to the goats and sheep. And start pulling up all the hundreds of tomato plants and stakes. So still lots going on here at Outback Farm.

Thanks for looking, y'all!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6609 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6609 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  08:55:10 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful garden!! I know you are enjoying all of the bounty too. I bet your canner has been working almost round the clock!!

Winnie#3109
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  09:12:27 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, this is my market garden year. Next year I'll be canning like a mad woman. I can every other year. I have put peas and peppers in the freezer though. I still have so much from last year's canning and freezing frenzy. What all do you have in your garden? Or are you done for the year down there? You'll be doing fall things soon too, right?

And April, how is your garden up there in MN? You don't have a very long growing season there, do you?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  10:02:17 AM  Show Profile
Kris,

It's absolutely beautiful. Love the pictures and your blog. What a lovely view to wake up to every morning.

hugs
Marcy

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  11:27:27 AM  Show Profile
Kris: I'm going to plant beans and okra for the second planting. I've got a lot of other things to do. Again, your blog is super nice.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  5:49:26 PM  Show Profile
Thank you both so much! I am going to put pictures of my farmer's market and the farmers on my blog next. I love blogging! I have so much to say and all! Marly, how long is your growing season down there? We just got dumped on here and I was going to mow some yard and mow down some more garden stuff. Can't now. It sure did cool it off about 50degrees out there though. It was about 97 today and at the market I was sweating ike crazy.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  7:02:35 PM  Show Profile
Kris, our growing season will end around the second week in October. Unless, we get cooler weather. It was a hot day today, highs around 96. The humidity was about 90%.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2012 :  05:45:46 AM  Show Profile
Wow! Beautiful gardens and produce! I am planting my fall garden now as well as picking tomatoes.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2012 :  06:27:23 AM  Show Profile
I just went out to the gardens and saw some squash and beets poking through the dirt! I think I might have to replant some cucumbers and the zucchini. I got some new zucchini seeds I'll use. We had 2 huge storms yesterday and last night. I hate those night time storms with all the lightening. My dogs hate them too. But we sure are set on rain water for awhile now. But too wet to til or mow right now. So I'll wait til next week to do more major stuff.

Diane, what will you be planting for fall?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2012 :  11:52:41 AM  Show Profile
Love it, your garden is so beautiful! I have some serious amounts of envy going.

---
Farmgirl #2951
No longer renting, offical farmgirl.
Check out my new blog at http://simpileeliving.blogspot.com/
And my new Etsy listings http://www.etsy.com/shop/alterationsbyemily
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2012 :  10:30:49 AM  Show Profile
Kris I loved strolling through your garden today . It looks fantastic. I even spotted the little bird eggs...

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2012 :  08:30:13 AM  Show Profile
One word.......WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2012 :  08:26:50 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, y'all. It is pretty and still alot of things producing out there. I just picked a half bushel of Blue Lake beans and still have another row to go. Plus I'll pick Kentucky Wonder beans later today. And peppers and more okra. Market is tomorrow.

I am tilling and planting more today. I planted more squash and cucumbers where there were empty spots. And I'll have to wait til my garden shed gets delivered and put out in the garden where I want it to get more planted. I tilled a lot more but need to wait a few days for the grassy stuff to die down til I plant. Then I'll plant radisehs, lettuce, spinach, kale, chard, turnips and collard greens. And I want to plant some Brussel sprouts. Love those things fresh.

Also planted carrots today in the cold frame bed.

What's growing in y'alls gardens?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Aug 07 2012 08:28:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2012 :  09:05:24 AM  Show Profile
Morning, Kris. Yesterday, we pulled up the first planted pole beans, cucumbers, and tomatoes. We haven't put seeds in the ground yet for the second planting. Hopefully we'll get that done today.
Happy gardening, and good luck at the market.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

Kammi
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Kim
Phoenix Az
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2012 :  09:32:10 AM  Show Profile
I have also been working in my garden, I have a raised garden about 8 x 24' and 2 feet tall. The soil here in Phoenix is not conducive for vegetable gardening, must amend, must amend, and must amend. Last year my garden grew like gangbusters, did a lot companion planting and had a large yield. However this year, having trouble with my left knee (next few weeks I will be having a knee replacement), the plants are being killed off by all kinds of insects. I have not had the ability to go out there and work it every day. Yesterday, my husband and one of my boys built another raised bed. They placed the wooden frame on metal framework (he used this frame to build sand rails for him and a few of his buddies). Now this raised bed is 4 x 10' and 3.5' tall so I will not have to bend over. I plan to grow a few winter vegetables in this one along with more herbs and then totally overhaul the large bed. I have been able to order bulk compost and mulch and am getting the manure from one of my brothers, he is raising Angus. At least I will know what he is feeding them, trying to go all healthy and organic. (Trying is the operative word). Three weeks ago, my husband also built me a double barrel compost bin. Now I will be able to produce my own compost, however don't have enough now for the new bed. I will see if he can take a few pics so I can let you see what I am doing in my tiny corner of Phoenix.

Happy gardening,

Kim
Farmgirl #4256

Remember… Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body. Instead, you should slide in sideways, glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, in a body thoroughly used up, worn out and screaming “Woohooo! What a ride!”

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2012 :  4:00:19 PM  Show Profile
Marly, did you get anything planted today? I think I'll go plant some turnip greens in a few minutes. After I rest a little. I jsut picked more BL beans and 2 rows of McCasslen beans. Over half bushel. And some okra and peppers.

Kim, I would love to have more raised beds. They sure make a garden pretty and organized. And it does help the back and knees. I hope you get some more. My friend just had knee surgery last week. I hope yours goes well and get back to normal soon. I have a friend who has horses and she said I can have all the monure I can use. I hope to get some soon. I do use my goat, sheep and chicken manure too.

Thanks for stopping by!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2012 :  6:41:19 PM  Show Profile
Hey Kris, yes, we planted more okra seeds and more pole beans. Is it too late for carrots?
Marly

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2012 :  8:01:43 PM  Show Profile
No. I just planted a bunch today. It said in August. I plant mine in my cold frame with a net over it it keep my dog out. It was to keep chickens out but Stella likes to dig in it and lay down. She did a great job of raking it up for me though. I planted turnip greens and rutebegas and kale too. This is just the beginning!

The guy who woll be delivering my garden shed called tonight. He'll be here around 12:30 tomorrow! I am so excited! And I will be able to get to market if all goes well.

Happy planting!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  09:44:12 AM  Show Profile
Great garden, Kristin! I love seeing the harvest in your wagon! It's fun to see all of the beautiful colors and the product of your hard work. Zinnias are one of our favorites too! They attract the humming birds and swallow tail butterflies, which I love to watch! Glad you are getting such a good harvest!

Emily
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  5:08:40 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Emily. I love zinnias and will always have them here.

It raining here. I planted radishes and spinach and chard yesterday morning and right after it started raining. And is raining again! My squash and zucchini and beans and peas and cucumbers are looking really good so far. This rain will really help. The weeds love this too and are coming up like crazy. Morning glories all over the place. Ugh!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  5:15:38 PM  Show Profile
Kris, my outside cats love to lay in the garden, especially after I weed everything. My husband get really upset, but... Did you put up the curtain in your house yet?
Marly

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  5:44:41 PM  Show Profile
Marly, I have not had time. I am gone all day on Fridays and it rained most of the day yesterday so I didn't get out there. And today when I got home I ran out to the garden to pick beans before the huge rain clouds caught up to me. Then it got dark. And tomorrow I am canning beans. And getting grandkids to get school supplies. Tax free weekend in Ga!! And Sunday is church and grandkids. And I have to go get my 2 ram lambs that a friend borrowed a month ago. I have to get them back home. They have eaten everything in sight and even weedeated a foot on the other side of the fence. And Monday and Tuesday I am taking the grands to Dollywood in Gatlenburg, Tn!!!! I need a break! I have friends that are going to feed my critters while we are gone. THEN, when I get back, I'll have to pick the gardens clean and go to market on Wed. I MIGHT be able to do something Thursday. Then gone all day on Friday again. And the husband will be here that weekend. I am tired just writing all this! I think I will look for some cute little curtains while I am shopping with the grands Sat. That might work.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  8:17:43 PM  Show Profile
You have a busy weekend! Enjoy it all. Take a picture of the curtains when you do put them up. I can't wait to see them.
Thanks for answering my questions, you always do. I appreciate that.
Marly

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Around My Gardens Today Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page