Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 .....looking to purchase a DEHYDRATOR
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic .....looking to purchase a DEHYDRATOR Next Topic  

pennyhenny
True Blue Farmgirl

304 Posts

Missy
Dayton OH
USA
304 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  03:49:02 AM  Show Profile
DH and I are looking to purchase a DEHYDRATOR but we need some help with which one. Do you have a model/brand you would recommend ?

Thank you for any help.

hugs,
-missy-

http://citychickblogging.blogspot.com/

Sisterhood Member#4003

Happiness held is the seed; Happiness shared is the flower.
John Harrigan

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  08:30:07 AM  Show Profile
I have two dehydrators. One is very large and I've had it since 1980. It has nine racks and looks very much like a large microwave. It was purchased through Montgomery Ward's. If you can find anything like that, I would highly recommend it. It is probably more expensive than most, but well worth the cost. Look how long I've had mine and it is still going strong. I have dried just about everything including meats, vegetables, and fruit. I also have a small round one typical of what you see advertised on TV, etc. No name brand on it. It has 5 trays. The cost was about $20. The problem with it is that the trays do not sit well on the base. I do use it for doing quick jobs such as drying left over bell pepper and chili pepper strips, etc., but would not attempt using it for big jobs. There are no controls, not even an off/on switch. You just plug it in to start and unplug it to stop. I hope this information is a help in deciding which way to go. If you are planning to use it a lot for large amounts, spend the money. If you are just going to dry small amount occasionally, go with one of the smaller less expensive types. Just open the box and see how the trays sit on the base.
Go to Top of Page

LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  5:43:59 PM  Show Profile
I have the round type but hoping to upgrade to a square one soon. They cost a few hundred bucks but I use it all the time.

SAHM mom to four great boys.

http://ksfarnsworth.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  6:25:36 PM  Show Profile
I have a round one I got at Cabela's. It came with five trays but you can buy more, plus other accessories to go with it. It works pretty good for my purposes. I think I paid about sixty dollars for it but that was four years ago. I love it.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

debbies journey
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

debbie
anchorage ak
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  8:32:41 PM  Show Profile
I have an Excaliber, a large one with 5 trays, it has temp settings, on/off switch. I wish I had the one with the timer.
I had a smaller one, same brand for many years, it finally gave out. The only problem I have with the new one is the
trays are too big to submerge in the sink. But they hold alot of produce and I love it! So far this summer I have dried
rhubarb, sweet cherries and necturines!
Debbie
Go to Top of Page

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2012 :  2:46:16 PM  Show Profile
I have an American Harvest Professional Air Preserve II. It is round with 8 trays, mesh inserts (for diced items) and fruit leather trays. It has a dial to set the heat from 100* to 155*. A fan blows the air from the bottom. It cost around $200. I bought it almost 20 years ago and it is still going strong. I love it! (Just finished making apricot fruit leather!) I have also heard good things about the Excaliber and many people prefer it for the rectanular trays instead of round trays.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2012 :  1:30:54 PM  Show Profile
Mine is an American Harvest but it is rectangular. It has 6 trays and temp settings. Love it. I have it going most days, drying something.

Belle
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic .....looking to purchase a DEHYDRATOR Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page