True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

faith
wappingers falls new york
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  08:15:54 AM  Show Profile
Hi
I was wondering if you can use the budget mix for apple pie crusts? I have the whole wheat, white and corn budget mixes. Can you use any of these for pie crusts? I have MaryJane's book but only found the pie filling. I could have missed it. I have always cheated with the crusts and bought them.
Thanks so much! Faith

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  09:45:51 AM  Show Profile
I haven't made piecrust yet..but I do make my own. We had a big discussion here about pie crust not too long ago. You must try making it..not as hard as it seems!! Isn't the budget mix great?? I love it and have used it for so many things already.
Hey, welcome to the group, by the way!! Be sure to go over to the welcome wagon section and tell us about yourself! It will be fun to get to know you here!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

faithmarie
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

faith
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  11:30:03 AM  Show Profile
Hi Aunt Jenny,
Thank you for writing back! Yes we love the budget mix. The Corn bread is my favorit. To day we are making apple cake and apple crisp and corn bread with chocolate chips. We made home made pie crusts but not with the budget mix because we don't know if you can do that. I will look for the pie crust thread. We used the budget mix all summer at our cabin in the adirondacks. We are home now and the apples are abundant! And we are going apple crazy! We even had the budget mix sent to us up there. It was great!!!! I will look at the welcome wagon. But I think I posted there at the beginning of the summer. But I could be wrong.
Thanks again, Faith

Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  11:42:52 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I don't think you did post as it reads you have only posted twice under your name and there are two posts here that accounts for all of them. Please go introduce yourself we would all love to hear about you and what you do.

Welcome to the group sunshine

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my other web store http://vintagethreads.etsy.com/
my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  12:18:06 PM  Show Profile
Cornbread sounds so good right now!! Hmmm maybe I will make a pan of it for an after school snack for the kids...and me!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  1:36:30 PM  Show Profile
Hi Faith and welcome!! I found a recipe for a tart crust in the Farm Kitchen issue of MJF. Would that work for you? If you have that issue, it is on page 103. If not, I can e-mail it to you.
Glad you found us farmgirls!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  4:42:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi Faith and girls!
The book does have MaryJane's "Perfect Cherry Pie" recipe, which includes a perfect pie crust recipe! Just look on page 238. You might have noticed that the index lists all the recipes under the word "recipes" instead of alphabetically with the rest of the index (not our decision, but our publisher's). We also included the tart shell recipe in the Farm Kitchen issue of our magazine. It uses the Budget Mix and turned out really nicely - that was one of my favorite taste tests from the magazine!
Thanks all!
Carol

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, what a ride!'"
Go to Top of Page

faithmarie
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

faith
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  02:37:30 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Karin and Carol!
I found it in the book.Perfect cherry Pie. And it is with butter, my favorite ingredient.It looks great.
I don't know if I have the kitchen magazine. I will look.We share the magazines,my daughter and I. It might be at her house. I would like that recipe also.
I want to use MaryJanes budget mix all the time. Or when ever I can. LOL I love it!
This is great! I am a computer illiterate but I am learning. There seems to be a wealth of information here. And it makes my head spin sometimes.
Faith

Go to Top of Page

faithmarie
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

faith
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  02:56:15 AM  Show Profile
Hi Karin,
I have 4 copies of farm kitchen.lol I found it!!! Page 103. Wonderful.
Thank you, Faith

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  11:01:54 AM  Show Profile
Faith- At one time I had 6 in my house!! But, they have all gone to good homes. Well, all but 2- one that I use and use and one that I keep clean. :) Glad you found it!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

faithmarie
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

faith
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  11:05:39 PM  Show Profile
Karin,
Thats funny! And a great Idea! I believe I will do the same. Someday they will be vintage for my grandaughter!lol Even though they are really already vintage in my opinion.

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic question about pie crusts Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page