asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  06:54:54 AM  Show Profile
I just spent most of my Sunday making concord grape jelly. We have a couple of vines that were in our backyard when we moved in and we have never done much with them, occasional pruning, etc. I am not fond of concord grapes to eat, but DH wanted to make jelly and juice. My big thing is last time I made grape jelly, I couldn't get to set. I am hoping this batch sets, it looked like it was thickening up, but you never know. Anyone have tricks to make jellys set from juice? We still have quite a bit of juice left that if I can get the first batch to set I would like to make another. Any ideas?

Anne in Portland, OR

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh

belvederebabe
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

susan
great yarmouth Norfolk
United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  10:18:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi Anne

I was looking at the very same subject yesterday, someone gave me about 20lb of small black sour grapes. I don't know what concord grapes are like but a recipe that I found suggests half a bottle of Certo to 3lbs of grapes. I am going to use preserving sugar with added pectin. The pips are very hard in my grapes so I will do my jelly using a jelly bag or muslin. I am not sure if it's jelly that you are making or what we call in the UK call jam. If it's jam you can use lemon juice or as another recipe suggested make sure that at least a quarter of the grapes are under ripe. The recipe I am using is on www.agalinks.com this a clear jelly made from the juice rather than the whole fruit.

Personally I am using the pectine sugar just to be sue, hope this helps,

Swampie Sue

Go to Top of Page

belvederebabe
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

susan
great yarmouth Norfolk
United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  03:32:12 AM  Show Profile
Sorry thats half a bottle of pectin to 4lb of grapes, my mistake.
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  04:54:45 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
Hi Anne! I don't have any experience with grapes - just wanted to say HI!! LOL

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  06:51:39 AM  Show Profile
Hey Julia -

Saw some of your posts. Good to see you back, apparently daughter's wedding went well and all survived.

It looks like the jelly may be setting up, took a look at the test jar in the fridge and it is getting thick/jell like so I may be ok.

Sue -

Question - what is Certo? To answer your question, concord grapes are a purple,fat grape with a thick skin and seeds. They use them here to make grape juice mostly. They are okay for eating but the skin is pretty thick.

Anne in Portland, OR

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  7:07:32 PM  Show Profile
You girls are so timely! I picked some wild grapes in the orchard (the vines are killing the trees) this weekend but not too many, maybe a quart or two? Then I turned them into juice by adding a pint or so of water and heating on medium for 1/2 hour (with a lid on) and squeezing them through a jelly bag (well, actually, an old, clean, pillowcase). So, I ended up with two quarts of juice. I was letting them sit in the refrigerator until I get a little time to do the jelly (one of my recipes says that this helps to remove the tartaric acid crystals) Do you think I should add lemon juice, or is the watered down grape juice going to be tart enough if I use Splenda instead of sugar?

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

belvederebabe
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

susan
great yarmouth Norfolk
United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2006 :  06:40:45 AM  Show Profile
Hi Anne,

Sounds like the grapes I used... I still have quite a few pounds sitting in the freezer. The jelly tastes great and is lovley and clear.

Certo is a liquid or powdered pectin that's sold in the both the America and the UK. I have been unable to find the powdered Pectin here though, that's why I use the sugar with added pectin. I did not use any lemon juice but have never used Slender in jam making so can't help there I'm afraid.

Swampie Sue
Go to Top of Page

belvederebabe
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

susan
great yarmouth Norfolk
United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2006 :  06:42:48 AM  Show Profile
Sorry, meant to say hi Brenda too.
Go to Top of Page