farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  1:37:56 PM  Show Profile
Oh gosh, they had chickens at that site I'd never heard of. (Expensive, too!!!) Super cool chickens you picked out, though. I think our dream birds to have someday are Naked Necks. Coolest things I've ever seen, and I saw a lady with chicks the other day and they were so neat. (Pics and a video in the link...)

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/turkens_naked_necks.html

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

www.amydingmann.com
Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2012 :  12:25:56 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Amy, I have had naked necks in the past, and they were so loving, I absolutely loved them. One day, 2 stray dogs came while we were at church, and as we drove up drive way, they were leaving with one in each mouth. I ran to the yard, only to be heartbroken, my beloved Blondie, was not to be found. I called and called and we walked the property which is 30 acres. Finally, my daughter said mom listen, I could hear a noise coming from the trees, and we found her with a hole in her throat, we took her to the house, cleaned her up, and we doctored her neck, and my daughter sewed her skin back together, she never made clucking noises again, just gutteral sounds, but when I would go and get the wagon to feed. she would ride, and make the rounds to all the animals with me. I had her for 4 more years, and one morning she was laying under roost. I cried and cried. I missed my friend. Never had another like her. But if you get the chance, I hope you are not disappointed with them. I plan on getting some next spring. Been working on my houses.. The above story, happened about 12 years ago. And mine came from the mcmurray hatchery. Farmgirl #946 Linda
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13625 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13625 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2012 :  06:48:22 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Some that could be free range and not absconded with by predators! :)
I grew up with hundreds of laying hens and another house full of "fryers" so I'm not real excited about them.
However, I would have some IF, and I really mean IF, there weren't so many predators around. Skunks are a major issue! But there are bears, mountain lions and coyotes roaming right through our property!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2012 :  09:29:04 AM  Show Profile
my dream chickens are Swedish Flower Hens from Greenfire Farms which i got this year, and Buff Laced Wyandottes which we are trying to make for the US because they are only in the UK. so after lots of research i found that our first attempt wasn't right so we are trying again next year, it will be 3-5 years worth of breeding to get color, conformation, and breeding true every time.

www.rockriverexoticsandkennel.net
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2012 :  09:37:41 AM  Show Profile
I am boring....My favorites are Buff Orpington.

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2012 :  11:29:00 AM  Show Profile
Sandra, I'm boring too. I got two Buff Orpington and two Light Brahma this year. I think next year I'll get some barred Rocks. I seem to like the large bodies types (maybe 'cuz they resemble me?)

Audrey

http://prairiecairncottage.blogspot.com/
Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2012 :  5:01:48 PM  Show Profile

If you're not farmgirl of the month, then I don't know who could ever be!
quote:
Originally posted by sissarge

Oh, Amy, I have had naked necks in the past, and they were so loving, I absolutely loved them. One day, 2 stray dogs came while we were at church, and as we drove up drive way, they were leaving with one in each mouth. I ran to the yard, only to be heartbroken, my beloved Blondie, was not to be found. I called and called and we walked the property which is 30 acres. Finally, my daughter said mom listen, I could hear a noise coming from the trees, and we found her with a hole in her throat, we took her to the house, cleaned her up, and we doctored her neck, and my daughter sewed her skin back together, she never made clucking noises again, just gutteral sounds, but when I would go and get the wagon to feed. she would ride, and make the rounds to all the animals with me. I had her for 4 more years, and one morning she was laying under roost. I cried and cried. I missed my friend. Never had another like her. But if you get the chance, I hope you are not disappointed with them. I plan on getting some next spring. Been working on my houses.. The above story, happened about 12 years ago. And mine came from the mcmurray hatchery. Farmgirl #946 Linda

“It always looks darkest just before it gets totally black.”-Charlie Brown
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2012 :  5:04:14 PM  Show Profile
You are my HERO! Importing chickens? Whoever imports LF Silkies will be rich! You better take part in coming egg swaps, lady!
quote:
Originally posted by Megan

my dream chickens are Swedish Flower Hens from Greenfire Farms which i got this year, and Buff Laced Wyandottes which we are trying to make for the US because they are only in the UK. so after lots of research i found that our first attempt wasn't right so we are trying again next year, it will be 3-5 years worth of breeding to get color, conformation, and breeding true every time.

www.rockriverexoticsandkennel.net

Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2012 :  11:48:39 PM  Show Profile
All & any chickens are my favorite...Each one that comes to me has a different personality & attitude, I have had blue & gold (buff) orpingtons, frizzle, silkies, RI reds, leg horns, americanas, tons of easter eggers & a sarama....I have loved them all....I never turn away a chicken but have had to send a few to someone elses freezer camp because of meanness but even the mean ones I loved & cried when they had to go......Michele'

Chickens RULE!
hen #2622
theoldbatzfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

shanda
True Blue Farmgirl

522 Posts

Shanda
Broken Bow OK
USA
522 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2012 :  05:18:23 AM  Show Profile
This may be crazy, but you did ask for my dream chicken...ones that travel well! I'm seriously thinking of the RV lifestyle. With my kids and family spread out it's sounding better and better every day. (in a few years, once my youngest is settled down). I figured I'll be mostly in the same two states so I can carry my plants around without shocking them too much. But chickens? hmmm.

Warning...silliness to follow. I'd love to put a platform (like thoughs used to carry extra stuff) on the back of my RV and build a very safe, securly fastened coop on it. With some moveable fencing, a yard would be quick to set up. Yes, I am a dreamer! ha

Dream Chickens...where are you???

Shanda

Farmgirl #4233
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2012 :  06:35:52 AM  Show Profile
My dream birds from the Greenfire list are the Hedemora, Swedish Flower Hens and Tolbunt Polish. I'm with CJ...any chicken breed with the ability to fight off predators would be a plus! That is the main reason I don't have chickens at this point in time - our neighborhood doesn't allow chickens so I'd have to keep them at our shop property where there are a plethora of critters that would make short work of a flock of hens.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Lorie.Vance
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Lorie
Tampa FL
200 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2012 :  07:38:28 AM  Show Profile
I love chickens! They all have such personalities...LoL! I started with three then adopted a fourth about a month younger that had been abused by much older hens. At first, my girls (Bitty, Birdie, and Hattie) were what I called the three wicked step-sisters. They would shun the new girl (Fannie) and peck at her, but after a few weeks of isolation and a few come to Jesus meetings with the rest of the girls, they are all happy and living in peace. My dream is to move up north and have a few acres and lots of chickens!

The Vintage Garden Girl @blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2012 :  07:51:48 AM  Show Profile
Oh Michelle, you are my hero, the last 3 years I have always enjoyed reading your posts. And you are the top lady for chickens. I think I have told you this before, just wanted to tell you that I love the "freezer camp" expression, that was great! I also noticed " someone elses". You are on my bucket list, I hope one day, to get to meet ya! Have a great day all! Farmgirl #946 Linda
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2012 :  10:36:31 AM  Show Profile
oh Linda you made me cry dear hen...what a sweet & nice thing to say....the 'Freezer Camp' is from my dear friend Mary who also does as I do, gives a chicken to someone else's freezer camp cause we both name & love our kids too much to do that to them if the time comes....plus now in this house we never say we are having chicken for supper...its a small turkey so my in-door sicky ones don't hear it...lol....Oh and Shanda I used to take my 1st roo on rides with me in our car...he loved it!....All that I have had in the car will just lay down unless you take a curve too fast or stop too fast...then they get a bit upset but never had one fly thur the car like a crazy cat......Michele'

Chickens RULE!
hen #2622
theoldbatzfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2012 :  9:38:13 PM  Show Profile
I don't have a "dream" chicken, but I would really like to have every color available in my egg basket.

I have chocolate, brown, and green. Now I want Olive, white, blue and pink :)

If I had all the money in the world, I'd get Chocolate Orpingtons... the proper English ones. But, I don't have the cash flow for that haha!

~Hen 4316~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana.
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Highland cattle, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, Silver Fox rabbits, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2012 :  11:22:37 PM  Show Profile
I want some silkies. Our town is working on an ordinance for keeping chickens. Apparently it's OK if the neighbors don't complain. I have two empty house in back of me and I'm afraid if I get some chickens, people will move in who don't like them. Guess I need to read the ordinance and find out exactly what it says.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2012 :  12:24:11 AM  Show Profile
If you have a real cute coop and only hens, many times people don't even notice :) Helps to make the coop look like a bling-ed up dog house...

Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Highland cattle, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, Silver Fox rabbits, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2012 :  1:30:50 PM  Show Profile
They're over here on craigslist for $80/chick. Yikes! We are going for the rainbow egg carton.
quote:
Originally posted by YakLady

I don't have a "dream" chicken, but I would really like to have every color available in my egg basket.

I have chocolate, brown, and green. Now I want Olive, white, blue and pink :)

If I had all the money in the world, I'd get Chocolate Orpingtons... the proper English ones. But, I don't have the cash flow for that haha!

Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2012 :  1:44:45 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by one_dog_per_acre

They're over here on craigslist for $80/chick. Yikes! We are going for the rainbow egg carton.

Oh yeah! They were imported from Britain, so give it 10 years and the price should come down :)

Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2012 :  11:00:23 AM  Show Profile
Oh I'm with you Natalie, I'm in it for the eggs. All colors and I like them big except for the itty bitty bantam eggs. My daughter raises show chickens and I get her rejects..LOL but I do like ISA browns. They hold the record for most eggs and largest eggs laid. They lay big brown whoppers. I had a bunch of them a few years ago till a bobcat cleaned me out. I want to get some more. They look like red stars, pretty plain really. I think randall burkey sells them but haven't checked in a while. I haven't had the money to order any.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

plantcarazy
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Jenn
Montana
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2012 :  06:38:01 AM  Show Profile
I love all my chickens- they follow me around all the time like they think they are dogs!! They are so sweet. My new breed this year is the two Delewares, what a hearty chicken! The barred rock is a new breed for me too, usually I just have buff orpingtons.

.....getting back to my roots again.....

Edited by - plantcarazy on Jul 21 2012 06:38:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2012 :  11:38:26 AM  Show Profile
Delawares are great, I hear! A lot like Buckeyes in the mousing way :)

Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2012 :  2:30:41 PM  Show Profile
ISA Browns were developed with a gene gun.
quote:
Originally posted by crittergranny

Oh I'm with you Natalie, I'm in it for the eggs. All colors and I like them big except for the itty bitty bantam eggs. My daughter raises show chickens and I get her rejects..LOL but I do like ISA browns. They hold the record for most eggs and largest eggs laid. They lay big brown whoppers. I had a bunch of them a few years ago till a bobcat cleaned me out. I want to get some more. They look like red stars, pretty plain really. I think randall burkey sells them but haven't checked in a while. I haven't had the money to order any.
Laura

www.nmbarrelhorses.com

Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2012 :  2:49:28 PM  Show Profile
Oh Jenn your chickens are so pretty and fluffy, and that beautiful grass, I'm jealous!
Laura

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2012 :  2:55:22 PM  Show Profile
I have found that silkies are very good mothers. And very cold hardy too.
Laura

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Your Dream Chickens Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page