Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 sick hen, any thoughts ladies? Update
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic sick hen, any thoughts ladies? Update Next Topic  

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2012 :  10:28:46 AM  Show Profile
I have a hen that isn't able to walk very well. She is eating and drinking but not pooping. Laying eggs too. I have her in a quiet room now for about 5 days, cant figure it out. Any thoughts on this ladies?

Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com

Edited by - crittergranny on Aug 11 2012 06:56:27 AM

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2012 :  11:14:37 AM  Show Profile
Have you wormed her lately, we had a peahen like that had worms really bad. We use ivomectin 1% in the water 2cc per 5 gal of water, then we use wazine, and panacur aka safeguard ( for dogs and cats) 1cc per 10 lbs. we worm 3 times a year so use 1 every 4 months.
Just a thought might be something else. good luck
its always had to see a animal we love in pain.

www.rockriverexoticsandkennel.net
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2012 :  12:58:21 PM  Show Profile
How is the wazine given? I will look around here. I may have some ivomectin. Thanks Megan I will try it. She is a very healthy bird otherwise.Her comb is nice and red and her feathers are shiny. My daughter had a couple of hers do the same thing then died about 4 days into it. She lives seperately from me though. Maybe there is a worm problem going on, who knows. I have wormed my birds in the past but has been a long time. The wormer I used for them before was that piperazine (could be wrong spelling). Is piperazine the same as wazine? I have a book on chicken diseases but wow it has soooo many diseases in it. It is unbelievable how many diseases chickens can get. And so many of them have the same symptoms. Thanks again Megan.

Laura

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

Hoosiermom
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Beth
Alexandria IN
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2012 :  2:01:09 PM  Show Profile
I was just getting ready to post the same type of question on here. I have a young pullet that just started laying this past month & she is very staggery, we even thought she was dead a couple of times by the way she was laying. We now have her in a separate pin & she is eating & drinking, looks very healthy & laying eggs too. Not sure what we should do about her, it's kind of sad to watch her walk around, but it's pretty inconsistant too...I noticed another one starting to do the same thing today. They are both Buff Orpingtons about 5 months old. Any input is appreciated.

Beth
Go to Top of Page

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2012 :  7:17:02 PM  Show Profile
wazine is givin in the water, and is the same as the piperzine, Do Not Over Dose on the wazine. other things that we do to worm are pumpkin seeds in the fall. copper will also worm animals.Try to get alot of fiber and grit in her when you worm to push the dead worms out, if nothing else add grit or sand to the feed, try kitchen scraps, if you can keep them hydrated they might make it

Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2012 :  2:03:12 PM  Show Profile
Well I didn't do anything except feed and water and yesterday she pooped a lot and is feeling better....weird. But shes all goopy in the back and I am getting up the nerve to clean her up. She is walking around better and there is a little blood here and there. I think she will be ok if I keep her reasonably clean. I'm pretty chicken when it comes to goopy chicken problems. I feel bad for them but can't hardly stand to treat them. I don't mind too much treating other critters but chickens are hard for me.

Laura

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2012 :  2:47:57 PM  Show Profile
good to hear that she is feelin better

Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  06:57:59 AM  Show Profile
Hen is all 100% better. I don't know what it was but I'm happy! Thanks ladies for the ideas.
Laura

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic sick hen, any thoughts ladies? Update Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page