New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Oh ponies(new boys) Next Topic  

KansasFarmMomma
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

91 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  6:32:05 PM  Show Profile
We went to a sale today and picked up two new yearlings to work with. We buy, train & resell horses. It's a hobby for us, and we do our best to give horses that might not otherwise get a chance, a chance to get a good home. We've had some great success stories, and we've also had some defeats but that's life working with horses.

I bought a registered QH bay yearling colt. His name is MS Doc Venture(http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/ms+doc+venture). He was ran through with a whole mess of about 30 other yearlings. The rest were better bred and went for more than I wanted to pay for a yearling. He certainly needs some weight put on him and his eye is a little goopy. If his eye isn't looking better by the morning I'm gonna put him on some feed through antibiotics. Other than that he looks like he's got the potential to be a nice little horse for someone. I ended up paying $40 for him.

My husband bought a grade sorrel yearling colt. This horse was obviously lame as he was run through the ring. My husband is still learning a lot as a fairly new farrier so he wanted to see what he could do with this boy. He's club footed and his back leg is very swollen. I think we'll take him to the vet on Monday to get some x-rays done. The clubfoot should be easy enough to correct with shoeing, the back leg, we'll have to see. We will do everything we can to get him sound again. If won't ever be sound but isn't in pain, we'll adopt him out as a companion horse. If he won't ever be sound and he'll be in pain no matter what, we will have him put down. He sold for $10.

Both horses were run through loose so we didn't know if either of them had ever been handled at all(usually horses at auctions who are run through loose are pretty wild). My husband lucked out, his colt someone obviously spent a lot of time working with. He's halter broke, very gentle, picks up his feet, etc. Mine, not so much lol. He's a little on the wild side. Certainly not as bad as some we've had come through our place by ANY means, but enough that the most interaction we've had is him stretching his neck as far as he could to take some hay from my hand. We'll let him settle in a day or two and then start halter breaking him.

Here are a few photos of them.

Nicole
Farmgirl # 4209
www.bearpawphotography.weebly.com
www.KShappyhomemaker.wordpress.com

Edited by - KansasFarmMomma on Jul 14 2012 6:37:22 PM

Calico Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Meg
Middle Tennessee
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  6:46:27 PM  Show Profile
Beautiful boys! How wonderful you are willing and skilled to work with them. Happy Trails!
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  7:48:21 PM  Show Profile
Wow, they are gorgeous! Good luck with them!
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  11:15:59 AM  Show Profile
Very cool Nicole. I'm so happy to see someone doing this good work. The light colored one is really pretty especially. As for goopy eyes. I have a horse that I got years ago and fixed a bad goopy eye problem. He has herpes in it. It took 4 yrs and about 1000 dollars but he is doing well now. Lisine is supposed to be good.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

KansasFarmMomma
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

91 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  08:23:02 AM  Show Profile
Just a quick update - So far it looks like the sorrel has high non articular ringbone due to clubfoot. He also seems to have some sort of tendon damage. We are guessing it is probably either his main extensor tendon or his superficial flexor tendon. He's a sweetheart. He's lame but he really doesn't seem to be in any pain. My husband named him Spot. I'm thinking we are probably going to adopt him out.

The bay colt we named Benny. His eye has cleared up nicely and he's coming along slowly. He's really not sure about people.

Nicole
Farmgirl # 4209
www.bearpawphotography.weebly.com
www.KShappyhomemaker.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Oh ponies(new boys) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page