prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  5:30:53 PM  Show Profile
Ladies,
My daughter and her family got 3 ducks several months ago. Well one of them laid 4 eggs today. Seems to early to tell if fertilized as yet? Although momma isn't sitting on them either ?
What to do ?
Should eggs be used as food if she lays each day or left alone and maybe she will lay on them and maybe get ducklings later ?
My daughter asked me to please get advice from my farmgirl friends!

Thanks!!
Hugs,
Linda

Country at Heart

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  6:04:51 PM  Show Profile
depends on breed, and are you sure you have a drake, also did you mean she has laid 4 eggs to date, cause they only lay 1 every 24-36 hours, also some ducks are not very good mommas, and will walk away when they hatch, or be too protective and kill the ducklings by accident fending off whatever, plus contary to most peoples beliefs, ducklings can and will drown, all they need is a plant saucer till they have feathers...once the hen starts sitting non-stop, its 28 days till hatch, or you can collect them for food, they make the best pound cake and angelfood cakes, they are much richer than chicken eggs...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  6:58:18 PM  Show Profile
They think she laid 4 today? They are in the pen everyday and there weren't eggs until today?
They are going to try to incubate them? We will see! I will tell them about the angel food and pound cakes!!

Thank you!!
Hugs,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  8:34:13 PM  Show Profile
poultry /water fowl do not/can not lay that many eggs aday, and if 1 of the 3 is a drake, that means 2 hens, and that would be 2 eggs per hen in 2 plus days, and if they are not fertile, watch out that they don't rot and explode in the incubator, plus make sure they have the proper humidity level in the incubator, or they will not develope and will die in the shell...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  05:19:14 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like you have more than one female. I never incubated my own ducks eggs, I just let them do that if they wanted to. I only used my duck eggs for baking, In my opinion they really are the best eggs for cake, breads and cookies.

In this hot weather we are having in KY. I gather daily, I don't think I would want to use an egg that sat out overnight.

As for the duck not sitting, well, that could be a couple of reasons none of which I am an expert at. Are these ducks young? Is that her first eggs? If so, inexperience is a good reason. You can wait and see if it is fertile.

I been raising geese for 19 yeasrs so it is not odd for geese to do that. Geese will lay, and lay and not sit until they have the amount needed to fill the nest.
I have geese that share their nest ... a community nest so to speak.
Good luck.

Teri
White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  1:03:35 PM  Show Profile
You can incubate them for a few days and then candle them to see if they're "hot" or not! :D

~*~ http://silverstarfamilyfarm.blogspot.com/ ~*~

“When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.”
~Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Duck question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page