Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2012 :  8:03:02 PM  Show Profile
Oh man! I went away overnight and came back to yellowing pumpkin and zucchini leaves, and have found a good many squash bug eggs. I tried to squash as many of the eggs as possible, but I also have a few BIG squash bugs crawling around out there... I can't believe this! There wasn't a sign of them two days ago!!!

I do have neem oil on hand, but all the plants are flowering and the bees are enjoying them thoroughly. The directions say not to use it when the bees are around. Thing is, we didn't see ANY bees at all until last week, so I really REALLY don't want to do anything to kill them or scare them away.

Bumbles' crumbles.... What do I do? Please help me!!!

Thank you!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Jun 23 2013 7:33:29 PM

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2012 :  06:31:56 AM  Show Profile
The only thing I have tried is mixing flour with pepper and sprinkling it on the tops of the leaves.

I hope others have ideas too.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://pioneerpatchworkhomespun.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  06:20:23 AM  Show Profile
Oh Nini, I'm so sorry to hear about the squash bugs. We had them so bad two years in a row I had to stop planting squash and zucchini for a few years because I couldn't get rid of them. I have heard from a neighbor that she had some luck using a dishsoap with water solution with some tobasco sauce mixed in and sprayed on the bugs/plants/eggs to kill them off. I just heard this from her this year, so I never got to try it on the plants when I had my problem a few seasons back (I have used the dishsoap with water solution spray, but had not heard of mixing in tobasco as a means of killing squash bugs until she mentioned it). I agree with you about not using the neem when the bees are around - don't want to risk harming them.

I'll be thinking good thoughts for you - hang in there.

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder

Edited by - LuckyMommyof5 on Jul 15 2012 07:39:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  08:39:33 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, girls!!! Actually, this morning my hubby and I went out and sprayed as many leaves as we could reach with a little dish soap and water... We scraped off a TON of eggs and actually killed one of the squashbugs (couldn't reach the other one, but soaked her with the soapy water - at least she'll look pretty next time I see her! LOL!). I will definitely try the tabasco sauce with it next time - didn't even think of that! What a great idea! Thank you, Suzanne!

Kristina - when you say pepper, do you mean red pepper or regular black pepper? And I just sprinkle it on the leaves? I'm IN!!! Thank you!!!

It's so hard because even though I left what I thought would be plenty of room to walk around everything in the garden, the plants apparently are loving the extra room to sprawl, so it's hard to get to everything. Tiptoeing around in there is virtually impossible. Plus the bees are really starting to enjoy themselves and I really don't want to get stung. My hubby is really great in that respect, because he just plows through and they don't bother him one bit. However, when I say "plow through," I mean it - he doesn't care what he does to the plants. He says they're tough and if they can't handle the pressure, they the weren't meant to survive. Eghads. <:( I coddle them like little children. He treats them like football players in training. So far, though, they're okay! He's right - they are pretty healthy and strong! Thank God!!!

So... Okay... Silly other question... I know that the squash bugs can really do damage by sucking the juices out of the leaves and stems... I have seen the damage and have been trying to be extremely diligent about getting the eggs and bugs I've seen. But, really - not all the leaves will survive all season, right? So if some of them are dying and the rest of them are healthy, lush and green, AND if I'm diligent about the bugs, everything "should" be okay, right? A few lost or yellowing leaves is normal, right? If I keep on this, my squashes and pumpkins should still grow, right? And is it okay to compost the damaged leaves and stems or will they bring bad bacteria to the compost? Maybe if I let them totally dry out in the sun first, it'd be okay?

Ahhh... it's hard trying to be "Mother Earth!" I fuss and worry almost as much over my garden as I did my son when he was a toddler! LOL! But, just as it was then, it is now: It's all worth it! :)

Happy Sunday, girls! And thank you, again, for all your help!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  05:01:42 AM  Show Profile
Nini - I had to laugh when you said you fuss over your plants like they are your children because my husband accused me of the very same thing this weekend - LOL.

I'm so sorry so many garden challenges are being thrown at you this year. I think this has been a rough growing season for everyone. All the crazy weather (our extreme heat coupled with drought conditions has been playing havoc with my tomatoes! I'm fighting off blossom end rot left and right!)

When we had the squash bugs, they had started in on the blossoms and stems right away and there was basically no saving anything at that stage - if you are aggressively combating them when they are only at your leaves I think your plants stand a good chance of recovery. If you want to compost any part of those plants I would definitely dry them out in an extremely hot, dry place first before trying it.

I had blight last year on some of our tomatoes and basically had to trash the plants for fear I might harbor some of the spores into another season. I went so far as to even scrub down the sides of our raised bed, dig up the dirt that had been around them and scrub the tomato cages.

If you use the tobasco in the dishsoap/water solution just make sure you don't do it in full sun.

I really hope you drive those squash bugs away. I'll be thinking of you.

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  10:05:57 AM  Show Profile
The bees will fly directly to the flowers and won't crawl around on the plants. So if you want to dust the plants, do it at night when the flowers are closed and avoid getting anything on the flowers.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.

"Look deep into Nature, and then you will understand everything better."--Albert Einstein
"A meal of bread, cheese and beer constitutes the perfect food." --Queen Elizabeth I
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13625 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13625 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2012 :  09:21:35 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Oh, Nini! I feel your pain! Those things are soooooooooooooooooo NASTY!!!
Two years ago was our first year of having squash bugs, after decades of planting a garden. We were able to stay ahead of them with the dishsoap/water spray. And we harvested everything.
After the garden was done we cleaned all that up and burned it! NO YOU DO NOT WANT TO COMPOST WITH IT . . those bugs winter over in it and everything else!
Planted the usual summer squash, winter squash and pumpkins and could NOT stay ahead of them that time. We harvested summer squash, but could not keep ahead of them on the winter squash or pumpkins and they were totally destroyed!

We did not plant any of those things last year in hopes that the break in the cycle would help. Because of the poor winter and irrigation water shortage this year we decided not to plant a garden at all. So this will be the 2nd year we haven't planted any squash or pumpkins. Hopefully, we can try again next year.

I hope you can harvest your veggies. Some yellow leaves won't hurt, you just want to keep them from sucking the life out of the entire plant because it will destroy your veggies. I'm sooooo sorry! If you find a method that is awesomely successful, let us know.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Jul 19 2012 05:49:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2012 :  8:42:11 PM  Show Profile
LOL! Oh, Suzanne... I'm so glad to hear I'm not alone - and that my husband isn't the only one shaking his head lately! LOL! He's been very supportive and does whatever I ask, I'm blessed. Even though he behaves as though he's incredulous about my "mothering" my garden, he always tells me he compares notes with guys at work.. and he always seems to swell a little bit with pride when he shares what we have learned. ;) Plus, when there's good stuff on the table, he's a very happy camper. I'll bear with the funny looks, because deep down, I know he's "with" me, and he's proud of me! :) We BOTH sure have had some challenges this year, haven't we? Eghads! I will definitely simply pitch the infected plant material. I don't want to take any chances - thank you!!! And I'll try the tobasco, too... at the end of the day/early evening! Thank you!!!

Paula - that is really great insight! Thank you! I never thought about it like that before, but you're right! I'll be really careful around the flowers - THANK YOU!!!

Oh! CJ! No garden this year?! That must be killing you!!! Thank goodness for Farmer's Markets - you still have hope for wholesome, fresh and organic!!!! :) I promise, I won't use the infected plant material for my compost... I'll dispose of it! Thank you for letting me know! It's a bit hard to take that we may end up having to scrap some of these GORGEOUS plants, but we'll do what we have to do for the sake of the others! It's all good - it's a learning experience, right? ;)

By the end of the day, it's looking pretty sad out there. I did, however, find two patty-pans hidden under some still healthy, very green leaves, and am very excited to be able to try them!!! The sad thing is, though, that suddenly as of today, my pumpkin leaves seem to all be turning paper bag brown and very dry... I see some pumpkins out there, but have no idea what their fate may be. I called three County Extensions looking for help, but the master gardeners are all "out" until next Monday (conference, maybe?). Made me want to cry. It also seems as if my garden has fallen asleep - suddenly very few fruits, very few flowers. And my tomatoes on the deck have end blossom rot. Ugh. What a nasty, unpleasant surprise. I don't know what's happening. It's like everything is hitting all at once. I'm going to add some more compost to everything tomorrow and then some fertilizer, and maybe even some eggshells for the container tomatoes, too, and see what happens. I'm not too far off from planting for fall crops, either... kind of a bummer <sigh>. When it rains, it pours, I suppose. It'll be fine - even if we only get a very small harvest, it's still all-organic, it's still all mine - the fruits of our own labor. Even one good fruit is a success in my book! Remember, after all - they used to call me the "Al Capone of Green Thumbs!" LOL!!! I'll just have to try harder and be even MORE diligent next year. I haven't given up yet on this year's garden, either - don't worry! We'll just keep plugging along and see what happens! It's worth every breath, every strain and every drop of sweat running down the brow! :)

Thanks again - all of you - for all your help! I could never do this without you, you'll never know! :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2012 :  1:28:40 PM  Show Profile
My mother always marveled at how squash bugs can just appear overnight. They don't live here fortunately like a lot of other bugs that live elsewhere. I did have to deal with them when I lived in Texas and I just used pesticide and it worked really well. However if one does not want to use pesticide I wonder if putting a turkey or a goose in the garden for a while might get rid of a lot of them? I don't know if you live somewhere that you could borrow one or if you have one but it may be worth a try? Geese are pretty good about not bothering garden plants but I have seen them poke at a squash or two a few times. However I don't know if they would really like the bugs either but I bet a turkey would.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2012 :  3:47:38 PM  Show Profile
We plan to order guinea fowl next spring. I heard they will eat all the bugs and leave the produce alone. I do have bugs this summer too. I just try to keep sprinkling flour mixed with black pepper. So far, it's working. I do see them on my pumpkins too.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://pioneerpatchworkhomespun.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2012 :  8:07:43 PM  Show Profile
I had read about this and tried it this year. I threw some radishes in with the squash and no bugs this year...yea!

Try it, it is not too late to plant radishes.

God bless,

Judy
Farmgirl #3666

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

chickenmom
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Toni
Tucumcari NM
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2012 :  8:18:07 PM  Show Profile  Click to see chickenmom's MSN Messenger address
I only have a couple of plants, I've checked them daily. I get rid of whatever eggs I find and I keep a large cup of soapy water in the bed, as I find bugs I pick them off and throw them in the cup. So far I've been able to keep up with them. I'm going to try radishes though, I've heard elsewhere that this works. Good luck!
Toni
Go to Top of Page

Kammi
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Kim
Phoenix Az
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  1:46:32 PM  Show Profile
I am having the same problem, last year I had the biggest crop of zucchini, with absolutly no bugs. The largest zucchini was 18" long and 6 inches round. And they were growing so fast, could not pick them fast enough. I was giving them away to friends and family. The largest leaf was almost 20 inches across. This year I get the darn bugs and they have totally decimated my plants. I am going to use the soap and Tabasco spray. Hope it works for me.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2012 :  10:15:41 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Judy! Actually, that was me that had suggested the radishes last year, and I did the same this year - even planting extras! I've still left many of them in the ground, quite a few are even bigger than beets right now! But they didn't work this year - at least not as well as last. The squash bugs have just taken over. And my neighbor sprays with chemicals, so I'm sure they just all headed right over to my organic oasis, you know? Ah, well... I still think the radishes are a great idea! Maybe if I stay ahead of the bugs next year, I'll have more success! But thank you!!!! :)

I'm so sorry to hear you've got them, too, Kim. Everything I've read is says the key is to stay ahead of them - "an ounce of prevention," you know???

I've tried everything short of chemicals. Ended up pulling up almost all the affected plant material, then spraying with organic insecticidal soap. Even things that were thriving are now dying... Although, now I've got new growth in my patty pans and acorn squash... Still holding out hope! :) Today, after the heat of the sun, we'll be in the garden with our mid-summer planting. Even though the squash were a huge disappointment, there are still plenty of good things out there, and, hopefully, more to come this fall! :) Thanks so much for your help, girls! I'm definitely going to use the flour and pepper next year, Kristi - the flour works wonders against slugs when sprinkled on the ground, so I'm hoping your mixture will do the same for the squash! I am not allowed any type of fowl or livestock in town - BUMMER!!! I would LOVE to have a couple of chickens, but I just can't! SO sad!! Lesson learned, I suppose...

I am wondering - do you know if lady bugs eat the squash bug larvae? I have been told conflicting information... I'm really considering just buying some to see what they'll do!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2013 :  7:30:57 PM  Show Profile
Oh good grief... They're back. I was out watering the garden late this afternoon and saw three big squash bugs. I had a fit. My hubby killed two, one got away. We scraped eggs off leaves and I tried very hard not to cry. I can't have another year like last year. I rotated my crops, so it's a whole new plot. I planted lots of radishes, and even a whole bunch of herbs and flowers (especially nasturtiums and pink petunias), which are supposed to repel them, but they're back. And they're looking as attitudinal as ever. I am NOT going to give up on this!

Has anyone ever tried diatomaceous earth to combat them? I keep waivering between ordering it and not... I don't want to harm the beneficial insects, for one. For two, I read somewhere - but only in one place - that you cannot use diatomaceous earth when the ground is wet.... we're already having and incredibly rainy summer, so I'm not sure whether this would just be a waste of money vs. a viable option. If anyone has any insight, I really, really, really, really, REALLY would appreciate your help. Right now, I'm open to almost anything... I want to stay organic, but I'm open to reasonable alternatives (if there are such things). I know my next door neighbor is using chemicals again this year, which is really working against me. I just really do not want to cave on this. HELP!!!

Thanks so much, girls. Here we go... Round two! Ding! Ding!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2013 :  07:08:26 AM  Show Profile
Squash bugs are insidious! We didn't plant squash this year, after trying for the last two years and getting overridden with squash bugs each time. Even though we didn't plant any this year, I've still seen a few around....frustrating! I don't think my chickens care for them very much either.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.

"Look deep into Nature, and then you will understand everything better."--Albert Einstein
"A meal of bread, cheese and beer constitutes the perfect food." --Queen Elizabeth I
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2013 :  08:00:58 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Paula.. It IS so frustrating, isn't it? I spent the past hour or so out in the garden, picking and squishing nymphs and dropping them in soapy water - just to be safe. No more eggs, though - thank goodness. I'm just going to keep vigilant. Or vigilante.... Either word works! LOL! I am actually relieved that I'm not finding a whole lot of them out there yet - YET; but I'm no fool. They're coming... I can feel them coming! SO I did a little research. I'm going to try the flour and hot pepper on the ground around the plants. I'm going to also order some diatomaceous earth and pray that it works. I've also noticed that they did try to eat a few of the nasturtiums. Apparently they're poisonous to them? So maybe they'll just die off. I can only hope. I'm also hoping the nasturtiums will confuse the heck out of them and that they'll just leave. We'll see. I had read somewhere that these stinkers actually have some sort of value in the garden, but I'll be dipped as to what it is. They're evil in my book. Pure evil! I'm telling you, I must've looked like that crazy exterminator in the movie "Arachnophobia" while I was out there in the garden... John Goodman's got nothing on me! LOL! Anyone who saw or heard me would've thought I was cuckoo! LOL!!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2013 :  4:00:58 PM  Show Profile
Hey Nini, don't be scared to just tear off a leaf or 2 that have the eggs on them. I have plucked squash plants almost to the point of "leaf free' & had them come back healthy and bountiful

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2013 :  12:51:28 PM  Show Profile
Nini remember last year I had the squash borers in the squash vines. The plants were dying and I could see where they were in the base of the vine. I could see where the yellow ick was coming out. I took a livestock syringe and poked in the hole where the worm was about 50 times in all different directions. After a few days they started to perk up and they lived for the first time ever. I had squash to eat last year.I guess the worm died and the plant somehow came out of it and lived.

It has happened again this year and I just did the same thing again and the plant is pulling out of it.I am watching them all very closely. Its hard gardening at my house. I have tomato blight again. I just ordered more soap shield from gardens alive again. I hope I can slow it down.

The squash bugs is time consuming and they do hit all at once. I also tear part of the leaf off and throw them in the burn trash and burn them. The bugs go into a can of kerosene. Its a pain and time comsuming but I don't want to spray a bunch of toxic chemicals and eat them later. Good luck to you and I hope you beat them this year. Hugs.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2013 :  2:53:31 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Lisa! Last year, I ended up just uprooting the whole bunch of plants and vowing never to allow them to get me again! LOL! I have been going out in the early morning and squishing the nymphs... So far, no more eggs or adult bugs. But trust me, if you say I can pull the leaves, I'll do it. I'll do whatever it takes, if it's within my power! Thank you for letting me know I can do that! :)

Right! I DO remember, Linda! I actually was just thinking about that this morning! I'm sooo glad it worked out for you! I will definitely be watching for the borers, too. I don't have access to a livestock syringe, though... I remember you told me where to get that, but I can't remember where???

Last night I mixed flour with corn meal and cayenne pepper, then covered the hills and bases of the plants. This morning - still no eggs, and I think I killed three nymphs, but the plants still look healthy. I'm about to take a stroll through the leaves again before dinner, too. We're expecting rain over the next few days, so I'm hoping I can keep up. We'll see!

Thanks so much for your help, girls!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2013 :  3:06:43 PM  Show Profile
Oh Nini, when you get those squash, they will taste that much better after all of your hard work, although you may just want to bronze them!
If you need a livestock syringe, I can send you one. Just send me your addy. I guess we are allowed to mail syringes?

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.

Edited by - nubidane on Jun 25 2013 3:08:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2013 :  4:44:54 PM  Show Profile
Nini any feed store or feed mill carry them. You can also order them from livestock supply co. like Jeffers. They have a website. I guess you could just use a big fat sewing needle too. I hope you can get a big harvest this year.I know last year I so enjoyed my hard earned zukes. They were so good.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Help! Squash Bugs! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page