True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Vanessa
Vermillion SD
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2012 :  11:17:06 AM  Show Profile
I am new to the sisterhood.

Well, now I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. I've read the tips for new comers but, my! there is so much to this site! I will figure it out eventually.

I look forward to meeting all of you. I currently live on a small acreage in SE, SD, where we need rain really bad. I have two darling sons still at home (12 and almost 14), 2 children off at college (graphic design major and mechanical engineering). An encouraging husband who lets me do whatever project I want to when I'm not home educating the boys or taking care of his supper.

We have 2 Great Pyrenees who need more to do (I'm thinking geese) and one endearingly spoiled indoor cat.

I like to machine quilt, crochet, put up food, bake my own organic fresh milled whole grain bread, am learning to knit, and am trying to do something productive with a huge stash of gorgeous fabrics. (Maybe silk satin pillowcases?) I absolutely love basketry and watching birds and singing. I also enjoy shooting sports. (I will insert here that I love Jesus most of all. and that relationship takes some time, too)

I need to finish a lot of projects even though I know that I will continue to start new ones as I go. Finished a quilt top yesterday and will have to have that one professionally stitched. Finished lashing a basket today. The summer is going by quickly.

I've had: meat rabbits, bottle calves, Pygmy goats, La Manchas, chickens, a horse, guineas and I miss them all. Such sweet times with the children and on our own. All of these critters were on our homestead in NCentral OK. We have been in the upper Midwest now almost 3 years. I do love it up here!

Looking forward to our future together,

Vanessa

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2012 :  12:27:32 PM  Show Profile
You sound very busy .... glad to see that your a quilter. When your ready you should join a block swap or two. Wow two pyrenees, I have a great dane and a newfie mix .... and an indoor cat that rules both dogs. Try to send you some rain your way ....we are having our share!!

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

showthemlove
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Vanessa
Vermillion SD
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2012 :  12:59:40 PM  Show Profile
We are all busy, I'll bet...busy women get things done, right? Thanks for the welcome. Thank you for referring me to a certain area, too. That's why I put so much about my interests. Hoping someone might do just that!

I love the upper Midwest!
Go to Top of Page

showthemlove
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Vanessa
Vermillion SD
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2012 :  1:06:08 PM  Show Profile
Barbara,

How do I know when there is another quilt block swap open? I would love to get in on that. I just finished a "block of the month" quilt. Are you in charge of these?

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2012 :  5:33:41 PM  Show Profile
Welcome. Enjoy your time with us.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2012 :  6:45:30 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Vanessa, from another SD sister. You'll love it here. Enjoy.
Go to Top of Page

showthemlove
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Vanessa
Vermillion SD
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2012 :  6:52:25 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Annie. Actually, my two young adult children are at Crazy Horse this summer! I come to Custer often. Love it. I lived by Keystone, CO a long time, but I really love the Black Hills.

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7597 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7597 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2012 :  9:03:24 PM  Show Profile
That is beautiful country there, Custer and Keystone and Mt. Rushmore, is awesome. I went through there once in the early 70's. I lived in ND about 3 months, It was a neat experience. Welcome you all to Mary Janes Farm.Darlene

I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  10:38:35 AM  Show Profile
Vanessa, how ironic is that with your kids working out here at Crazy Horse. If by chance you plan to come out this way this summer, send me an e-mail and we could get together. There's another farm firl who lives up in Sturgis. The Hills are just jam packed with tourists this summer - they say more than the usual amount we have this time of year.
Darlene, so happy you enjoyed your time out in our beautiful Black Hills back in the 70's.
Go to Top of Page

Sugar Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Pamela Jean
Sugarloaf Ca
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  10:17:56 PM  Show Profile
You'll have fun here.

Pam

Stand for What's Right!

Go to Top of Page

shanda
True Blue Farmgirl

522 Posts

Shanda
Broken Bow OK
USA
522 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  12:38:34 PM  Show Profile
welcome! Hope you enjoy it here!

I know all about the 1/2 finished projects, I've got them everywhere! Quilts/knits/crochet/tatting....and a ton of patterns and supplies to make more 1/2 finished projects! ha! We should start a support group!

Enjoy your Summer!

Shanda

Farmgirl #4233
Go to Top of Page

showthemlove
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Vanessa
Vermillion SD
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  3:18:16 PM  Show Profile
A support group Shanda...for sure! I'm sure that this is one in many ways. I have relatives in Broken Bow (or is it Broken Arrow?) I lived in Stillwater for 13 years.

Annie..I will e-mail. I should be there early August. Then to pick up dd mid month to caravan to other relatives.

How do I find out about "regional" groups?

DD says that it is so dry in Custer, that there is a smoking ban. Driving some of her colleagues crazy.

Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  1:00:45 PM  Show Profile
Have had some major fires out in this area - one was only 7 miles away from where I live in the country. But all have been contained now and we aren't breathing in smoke every day along with the extreme temps. Been really bad here in the Hills. Look forward to your e-mail.
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  1:16:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi Vanessa!

Just wanted to give you a warm welcome from Minnesota! We were in DeSmet, SD for a farmgirls on the loose outing at the Laura Ingalls Wilder museum a few years back. That was the first time I'd ever been to SD! It's beautiful! You are gonna fit in just fine here! You are farmgirl through and through, I can tell! :)

Welcome to the sisterhood!

~Hugs,
April

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  2:16:52 PM  Show Profile
Vermilion....sounds like a beautiful place! We took a trip out to SD a few years ago and we haven't stopped talking about it since. We hope to go back again soon-It's wonderful country in SD!

Welcome to the forum-You are going to LOVE it here!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  3:42:58 PM  Show Profile
Welcome, Vanessa. You will love it here and find many great friends. I am from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13627 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13627 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2012 :  05:49:43 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Welcome Vanessa!
Farmgirl Connection is a great place to be and just have fun "poking" around in the different threads!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

showthemlove
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Vanessa
Vermillion SD
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2012 :  09:54:59 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, all! Glad to be here.

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2012 :  03:25:36 AM  Show Profile
Another welcome to add to your collection... this one comes from the Inland Northwest. You do sound busy indeed, but isn't that great? You will love this site and all the farmgirls. So glad to have you,
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2012 :  11:48:28 AM  Show Profile
A BIG Ohio Welcome to ya Vanessa! ~~Whew~~ I got tired just reading what all you are into! hahaha A busy Gal for sure! Enjoy MJF! There's so much to read and do! I've learned a lot in the few years I've been on here!Like CJ said, just start poking around in the different threads. You'll find plenty to yer liking! I was in the Dakotas back in the 60's when we went there on Family vacation....the kind where you drove(w/o a/c I might add)and camped the whole time and got educated all along the way at the different points of interest. Now THOSE were the days! lol Again...Welcome!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hello from the desert of SD Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page