cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2005 :  08:10:03 AM  Show Profile
A couple of weeks ago I was in the local library, just perusing the stacks. I came upon books by John Steinbeck. Now, I had read "The Grapes of Wrath" in high school, and "Of Mice and Men", but had not realized what wonderful stories and characters are in these books.
Has anyone else read any of Steinbeck?

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2005 :  09:01:26 AM  Show Profile
He was high school required reading for me...Loved both of the titles you mentioned. A recent movie was made Of Mice and Men with Gary Sinese and John Malkovich which was very good.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2005 :  10:15:24 AM  Show Profile
I love all of his books...well, all but The Winter of Our Discontent..never could get through that one! I spent one summer about 10 years back reading all the STeinbeck I could find. Grapes of Wrath is still my favorite. He is so good at making you see the characters. If you ever see the movie of Cannery Row it contains two books sort of merged ...CAnnery Row and Sweet Thursday. Sort of weird.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2005 :  2:27:28 PM  Show Profile
The Grapes of Wrath is my husband's favorite book of all time. He also found the story powerful and moving. It suits him in a way, he is always on the side of people, not big government or business.
If he had been an attorney, he would have definitely been just right for the ACLU! I on the other hand had to read collected works of John Steinbeck in high school and my arrogantly adolescent brain found them
a chore. I went back and read some again a few summers ago and had a whole new perspective as age and time have tempered my experiences.
Sometimes a book looks differently to you after time has passed and you are not the same person who read it the first time.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2005 :  7:44:36 PM  Show Profile
Grapes of wrath reminds me so much of my grandparents telling me of their families who all came to Calif. during the depression...just like in the book. It amazes me what they all went through..all four of my grandparents..and that they all met in CAlif and married..just neat. My great grandma looked just like the mom in the movie!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2005 :  7:48:56 PM  Show Profile
Yes - I have seen Cannery Row and Grapes of Wrath (movies) - very good, but they definitely are not for everyone.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

pnwchica
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Suzy
WA
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2005 :  9:42:11 PM  Show Profile  Send pnwchica an AOL message
Steinbeck was required reading in high school ... especially since I went to high school in Salinas, California. I could image many things in his writings, especially Cannery Row. Cannery Row is one of my favorite places to visit. My favorite is "East of Eden".

Looking for new beef recipes, frugal & gardening tips, farmhouse remodeling & ez home recipes.
Go to Top of Page

farmgirlannie
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Annie
Chehalis Wa
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  9:25:00 PM  Show Profile
I love Steinbeck. I noticed that another said they spent a summer reading Steinbeck. I also did that a few summers ago. East of Eden was my favorite.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  11:53:41 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Annie! East of Eden is a good one!! I loved visiting Cannery Row too..we have relatives very near there.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  9:29:46 PM  Show Profile
I have read "The Grapes of Wrath" and "Of Mice and Men" in High School as well. Grapes of Wrath is pretty special and I have heard of Cannery Row the place. There is a book called John Steinbeck Working Days - The Journals of The Grapes of Wrath edited by Robert Demott by Viking Press.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  9:34:32 PM  Show Profile
I will have to look for that one...sounds good...\Welcome FloralSaucer by the way..wow..Australia!!! The one far away place I would love to see!!! Glad you are here!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  9:46:23 PM  Show Profile
Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  06:51:48 AM  Show Profile
I had to read "The Pearl" in high school but by then had read nearly all of Stienbeck's works. I started, oddly, with "Travels with Charlie" which I love. It's a memoir in which Steinbeck buys an Rv and takes his standard poodle, Charlie, on a four year long road trip. In it he mentions packing boxes of paperbacks he had been meaning to read and he talks about his love, not only of writing but also, of reading. I was hooked. My mother thought is was odd that I was at all interested in him at that age but let me buy whatever books I wanted at the thrift store.

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  07:55:16 AM  Show Profile
Lucinda, what a good move by your mom! I still find the greatest books at thrift stores:) As for Mr Steinbeck, I'd have to say my personal favorites are "East of Eden and The Grapes of Wrath.
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  09:32:03 AM  Show Profile
I have never read TRavels with Charlie!! I must get that one and read it! Wow! I thought I had read all his books..how exciting! Thanks!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  5:48:51 PM  Show Profile
I also love The Grapes of Wrath; it's one of my all time favorites, and one I get down every couple of years to reread. Every time I do, there's even more to see. IMHO, it's a masterpiece.

I'm glad others love Steinbeck too!
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  10:15:23 AM  Show Profile
The play, "The Grapes of Wrath" is in Seattle currently. Here's a review of the play, along with a commentary on how this 1930's exodus highly resembles what has happened recently with our Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, along with the societal, environmental and sustainability issues these events bring to light. Good read.
http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=grapes02&date=20051002&query=grapes+of+wrath

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  11:25:19 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Clare!! Boy I wish I were closer to Seattle..would love to see that!!

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic John Steinbeck Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page