Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2012 :  08:39:02 AM  Show Profile
What is the difference in Basmati and other kinds of rice? I have a recipe that calls for basmati but you only cook it for 20 min. Recipe says to bring rice to boil, place browned chicken on top and bake for 20 min. I only use brown rice and it takes 45-50 min. Suppose I can cook the rice for 20 min or so, then place chicken on top and bake for another 20 min? I can't find basmati rice anywhere around here. Really want to try this recipe and don't want to mess it up. It is called Curried chicken with Coconut Rice.

Thanks

Belle

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2012 :  4:27:38 PM  Show Profile
If there is a Target with a grocery nearby, you may be able to find it in the Asian foods section.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2012 :  4:30:42 PM  Show Profile
Basmati rice is an aromatic rice that comes from India. Many healthfood stores carry it. We can get it here at Costco too. It is a very good rice and is a wonderful compliment to curries.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran

http://farmsteadfripperies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2012 :  4:51:16 PM  Show Profile
Sam's and Walmart sell it too. I love it. It has a very distinctive flavor apart from other rices. And it is a very long, thin grain. It is especially good with dishes calling for curry.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4741 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4741 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2012 :  8:11:03 PM  Show Profile
Basmati is the type of rice they use in Iran (my husband is originally from there). It is the only kind of rice we will eat. We prefer the basmati grown in the Himalayas. We live in a very international area and buy it at a grocery store that caters to Chinese, Indian, Middle Eastern, Greek & Polish cuisines.

It is a long grain white rice and is delicious if you add some extra butter to it after it has cooked up. Let the rice rest for 10 minutes with the lid still on then stir the melted butter with a fork.

Enjoy!
Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2012 :  11:37:47 AM  Show Profile
Basmati and Jasmine rices are my favorites!
Most grocery chains carry them now I think
Enjoy!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

.Linz.
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Lindsey
Shippensburg Pennsylvania
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2012 :  6:51:31 PM  Show Profile
I'd follow the recipe as is - basmati doesn't take nearly as much time to cook as brown rice does. It's delicious, especially with the spicy Asian dishes that usually call for it, because the flavor is distinct and it almost acts as a cooling balance to the spice.

Usually we have it on a side, or cook the rice and the curry separately, so I've never baked it in the oven. I use Jamie Oliver's method of cooking basmati rice, and it always turns out great. http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/rice-recipes/light-fluffy-rice

"Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds." - Prov. 27:23
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2012 :  8:16:39 PM  Show Profile
We love Basmati rice. It has a lovely fragrance and flavor. Nutritionally, it's better than white rice if you're watching your blood sugar, though of course brown or wild rice is even better for that.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Basmati Rice Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page