Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Going Green & Savings Next Topic  

SisterSue
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Connie Sue
Fredericksburg TX
50 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  07:42:28 AM  Show Profile
I've been trying to find a topic to post about my "cleaning up" badges, so I decided to post on this thrifty thread.
I found a really cool tool on my electric coop website. I went on to research about how power is generated etc, and there is an interactive tool on the site for calculating savings. After I did the exercise I already added up $360 in savings a year by doing things like changing light bulbs, using our blinds, thermostat adjustment etc. I knew most of those, but to actually work through the activities helped me discover even more that I can do to bring our bill down. Living in hot central Texas doing this research to earn a fun badge is one thing, but to actually be improving our finances and taking care of the land is a great bonus. So thankful I joined this group!! (And I've always loved earning badges

Farmgirl #4283

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  7:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
It's amazing what you can do to save once you start looking into it, isn't it?
As a kid, I grew up on a farm and my mom MADE us hang the laundry outside to dry, even in the winter. After I got married and had access to a dry I swore I'd NEVER hang my clothes out again.
Welllll . . . that changed about two years ago or so, when I decided that:
- we really needed to save on our electric bill
- I really do LOVE the smell of laundry that's been hanging outside. We have clean air and fresh breezes!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  11:26:30 AM  Show Profile
I too learned about how we could save some $$$ through our electric co-op. I'm always pulling plugs from un-used appliances, turning off lights after my DH and keeping the blinds pulled shut to keep the hot sun out of the house. We don't have AC in our house, so we have been suffering a lot this summer with the high temps in the 90's and 100's.
Also hang all the laundry on the line even in winter - when it's warm enough and not -30 degrees. In fact, DH check our last bill today and said we used a lot less energy last winter. Any way I can save on that bill the better.
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Going Green & Savings Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page