Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Just Read Special Air Service (SAS) Survival Guide
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Just Read Special Air Service (SAS) Survival Guide Next Topic  

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  01:49:37 AM  Show Profile
Hi...I have especially enjoyed some of the shows on TV that show survival skills in different settings. At our local Bass Pro Shop I saw a very small pocket sized book called SAS Survival Guide:For any climate, in any situation. It is amazing what information is in that book. I learned so many things. The contents are Essentials; Climate and Terrain in every zone on earth; Food --how to recognize plants, fish, fungi, trees, etc in every zone on earth;Camp Craft--how to from shelter, tools, ropes, lines, knots; Reading the Signs talkes about maps, direction finding, weathers signs; On the Move; Survival at Sea, Rescue is about signaling, codes, search and rescue; and Health covers many medical situations, illness, diseases, bites, etc. and then Disaster Strategies which cover all possible disasters. It is so condensed with diagrams and concise step by step instrutions for every region of the world. This is an amazing small but powerfully useful book. All for $7.99 I used to know morse code when I was a child, now I see it again for flag signaling in morse code. I really like the section on edible and poisonous wild plants and the various animal paw prints. Anyway, great reading and I will keep this with me every time we venture out. It is a revised version written in 2010 based on John 'Lofty' Wiseman's 26 years in the SAS, and a Collins gem publication. Sorry, it is printed and bound in China, but the information is so valuable on so many levels.
Enjoy the read. I have only given a thumbnail of the detailed information contained within. I'm posting in the wee hours of a.m. as it was so hot today and we are expecting up to 112. I already have cabin fever from staying indoors because it is too hot to go outside. So I have been reading, but need some activity. I slept for a few hours, but need some work to do. Tomorrow I will clean house (again). Even the pool water nearby is like a warm bathtub. Have a good read.
Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  08:38:30 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like an interesting book, full of good information. Thanks for sharing.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Just Read Special Air Service (SAS) Survival Guide Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page