Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 The thrifting "circle of life" (lol)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic The thrifting "circle of life" (lol) Next Topic  

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2012 :  12:42:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi, everybody. I haven't had much time here lately but I just saw something that made me laugh and I thought you ladies would get it.

A few months ago, I bought a pair of dining chairs at a flea market. They turned out to be crappier than I thought and I ended up putting them out on the curb instead of recovering them. They disappeared before the trash men came along, and I was glad that someone else was able to use them.

Well, about six weeks ago I saw them again...on the curb in front of my neighbor's house.

And just this afternoon, I saw them yet again...on the curb in front of a neighbor's house further down the street.

OMG, these poor chairs are just making the rounds. They look saveable when you first see them, but apparently everybody else comes to the same conclusion I did: just not worth the hassle.

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2012 :  1:11:50 PM  Show Profile
That is too funny, Amie! Who knows where you'll see them next! lol.

I'm assuming they are nice looking chairs seen as everybody seems to be taking them. I'm wondering since they are in rough shape and can't be used as chairs, could you use them for something else....like something in your yard or garden if you have one? Ha ha....part of me just wants to see them end up back at your house! :)

Emily
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13625 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13625 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2012 :  4:52:10 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Oh my goodness . . that is a good one!
It'll be interesting to see where they end up next!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Jul 07 2012 6:43:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2012 :  6:20:12 PM  Show Profile
What a hoot!!!!!!! I'll be giggling all evening after reading this. Thanks for sharing.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2012 :  8:58:51 PM  Show Profile
The traveling chairs!!!! Maybe you should add some music to them!!! Too funny!!!

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2012 :  9:12:17 PM  Show Profile
That is just too funny, Amie... You should take pictures and write a story about their travels in their own voice and submit it to MJF magazine! LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

JerseyGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Michele
Southern NJ
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2012 :  03:37:25 AM  Show Profile
Amie, that's hysterical! We do that around here with magazines, but I've never seen chairs making rounds...lol!
Go to Top of Page

BlackHorseFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Elizabeth
Chicago IL
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2012 :  07:09:50 AM  Show Profile
That is too funny!

I agree if they are nice lookinig maybe a garden accent or hanging them on a wall.

http://countrygirlinchicago.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl Sister #4032
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2012 :  6:23:34 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad you guys thought it was as funny as I did. I like the idea of using chairs in the garden, but no, not these chairs! The problems they have are: the seats are a really cheap mdf board rather than real wood or particle board, but at the same time they are fastened on with some sort of weird allen-head screws so it's hard to get them off to replace them. Also the chair legs and back might be made of real wood, but there's something plastic-y about it if you look closely. Like if you tried to scuff sand to repaint them, they might start to fray. I don't think they'd look pretty after a good rain.
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  09:02:47 AM  Show Profile
I think it is very cool that so many of your neighbors are willing to take a second look and consider recycling. And it is sooo hilarious too. Thanks for the chuckle.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  9:51:43 PM  Show Profile
Well I don't know about you all...but my heart is breaking for those poor homeless, unwanted chairs... sitting out side at the curb, lonely, cold and hungry,,,just wanting a dinette table to call their own... surely there is someone out there with compassion and a dinette in need a sweet loving chairs... Wait,,, I think we can turn their plight into a Country & Western song....
lololololololol!
Just make sure they don't end up on my doorstep! lololol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2012 :  08:01:40 AM  Show Profile
That's hilarious, Amie. Whenever I'm at a Goodwill and I see something I know I donated, I always get a weird sense of the need to buy it back :)

I'm glad I don't live in your neighborhood, because like all the old windows put to the curb, I pick up old chairs, too!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2012 :  08:29:35 AM  Show Profile
I bought a chair at a garage sale for $1 thinking I would put it in the garden with viney things growing on it. Got it home and it has a metel mfg plac on the back and a numbered lable on the bottom. I looked it up on the internet and found it to be worth up to $200. I am real lazy when it comes to refinishing or ebay selling. So, it never made it to the garden. Iam the only one in the neighborhood with a $200 oak chair on the porch. THEN an old friend dropped by one day and was she surprised. It was her mother's chair. (she is pretty sure) I ask if she wanted it. She said no, she liked it where it is now.

The "circle of life" just keeps on going around.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2012 :  08:36:20 AM  Show Profile
Too funny. I live in the sticks so don't get to find such treats. ( or not so much in this case) lol Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10

Farmgirl sister #1156
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

cori1312
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Leslie
Fairborn Ohio
USA
64 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2012 :  12:00:20 PM  Show Profile
That's hilarious! I had something similar happen once. My mom had me make slipcovers for her dining room chairs. I thought the colors were hideous (told her she wasn't allowed to say I made them), but she liked them. We used them for a while before replacing our chairs and gave the old ones, with covers, to some friends in need. I was so glad to see them go.

Then over two years later, my sis came home from the thrift with those same horrible slipcovers! I thought I would be haunted by them forever!

"You don't have a soul; you are a soul. You have a body." - C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic The thrifting "circle of life" (lol) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page