Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Kitchen Quiz.... Next Topic  

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  10:10:57 AM  Show Profile
I'm making one of those dinners now that you can assemble ahead and then go play. While I'm waiting on ingredients to cook, I thought I'd make a silly little quiz. There are no right or wrong answers; it's just for fun!

1. What's for supper tonight?

2. Can you remember what you made for supper exactly one week ago?

3. What's one truly indespensable piece of equipment in you kitchen?

4. Do you have a signature dish (one you're known for)?

5. What's one food item you'll NEVER serve?

6. Do you cook with wine?

7. What's a kitchen item you wish Santa would just sort of leave on your porch for you? It's okay to get a little foolish here; after all, it's just a silly quiz!

8. Do you prefer to cook alone, or in a team situation?

9. What's the oldest thing in your kitchen? (You may not count yourself.)

10. Do you use recipes when you cook, or do you just sort of wing it?

11. When you eat out, do you analyze the dish to figure out if you could make it the same at home? Do you find it to be generally better than your cooking, the same, or worse? (Sorry, I know that's two questions, but I figure you can handle it.)

12. How do you develop your menu ideas? Based on what's on sale at the store? On what's in your pantry? On what's coming out of the garden?

13. When's the last time you made something and realized that it would have been better to just go call a pizza?

14. What kinds of foods do you really enjoy making?

15. What type of cuisine is your favorite?

And a Bonus Question:

Are you tired of all that zucchini yet?

There ya go!

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  10:34:09 AM  Show Profile
1. What's for supper tonight? Beef something

2. Can you remember what you made for supper exactly one week ago? It was Pizza night

My Kitchenaide mixer

4. Do you have a signature dish (one you're known for)? anything italian

5. What's one food item you'll NEVER serve? tongue

6. Do you cook with wine? yes

7. What's a kitchen item you wish Santa would just sort of leave on your porch for you? It's okay to get a little foolish here; after all, it's just a silly quiz! a rice cooker. I have asked for one of these for the past three yules.

8. Do you prefer to cook alone, or in a team situation? the term 'too many cooks' exists for a reason.

9. What's the oldest thing in your kitchen? (You may not count yourself.) an apron or an ice cream scooper, I am not sure which.

10. Do you use recipes when you cook, or do you just sort of wing it? both....depends on what it is I am making

11. When you eat out, do you analyze the dish to figure out if you could make it the same at home? Do you find it to be generally better than your cooking, the same, or worse? (Sorry, I know that's two questions, but I figure you can handle it.) I DO analyze it and I have generally determined that I can make it better. That's why we don't eat out so much.

12. How do you develop your menu ideas? Based on what's on sale at the store? On what's in your pantry? On what's coming out of the garden? what's in the garden and what my family likes to eat.

13. When's the last time you made something and realized that it would have been better to just go call a pizza? we don't have someplace that we can just call for pizza, so that doesn't happen. When I dont feel like cooking, though, we stick in a freezer pizza or eat left overs

14. What kinds of foods do you really enjoy making? anything italian, and deserts

15. What type of cuisine is your favorite? italian and deserts :D

And a Bonus Question:

Are you tired of all that zucchini yet? I couldn't grow zucchini this year for some reason....grrr....

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blog: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  10:38:53 AM  Show Profile
1. What's for supper tonight? - Haven't got that far yet...still working on morning coffee!

2. Can you remember what you made for supper exactly one week ago? lol - lucky if I can remember what what I made yesterday.

3. What's one truly indespensable piece of equipment in you kitchen? - New frig with no freezer compartment, it's awesome and so easy to keep organized.

4. Do you have a signature dish (one you're known for)? - Probably a couple, but that might not be a good thing. I can make a mean pot of soup though.

5. What's one food item you'll NEVER serve? - parsnips!

6. Do you cook with wine? - rarely, but if I do it's usually to boost flavor in a sauce or to deglaze a pan.

7. What's a kitchen item you wish Santa would just sort of leave on your porch for you? - a cook!

8. Do you prefer to cook alone, or in a team situation? - Always take any help that's offered.

9. What's the oldest thing in your kitchen? (You may not count yourself. - Okay, so that eliminated my first answer. An old tart pan (?) that came to this country in the late 1800's from the Ukraine by my dh's great-grandfather.

10. Do you use recipes when you cook, or do you just sort of wing it? - Both, I get braver when I have a big assortment of things growing in the garden that are cheap enough to experiment with.

11. When you eat out, do you analyze the dish to figure out if you could make it the same at home? Do you find it to be generally better than your cooking, the same, or worse? - Always analyze it and for the most part, can make healthier food at home.

12. How do you develop your menu ideas? Based on what's on sale at the store? On what's in your pantry? On what's coming out of the garden? - All of the above really, right now we are using up some beautiful peppers before the cold weather wipes them out.

13. When's the last time you made something and realized that it would have been better to just go call a pizza? - Honestly haven't bombed a meal in quite awhile, although I did have some awful green beans this year that would have been better for re-building the footbridge.

14. What kinds of foods do you really enjoy making? - Soups...and things that are really healthy, but still taste good to fussy eaters.

15. What type of cuisine is your favorite? - Lean Cuisine! Just kidding...most ethnic foods, with lots of beans, rice and veggies.

And a Bonus Question:

Are you tired of all that zucchini yet? - Sold it all...lol!

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  10:55:45 AM  Show Profile

1. What's for supper tonight? Pizza

2. Can you remember what you made for supper exactly one week ago? Pot Roast

3. What's one truly indespensable piece of equipment in you kitchen? my kitchen aid stand mixer

4. Do you have a signature dish (one you're known for)? Enchiladas for sure!

5. What's one food item you'll NEVER serve? Macaroni salad unless someone brings it over.

6. Do you cook with wine? not often

7. What's a kitchen item you wish Santa would just sort of leave on your porch for you? It's okay to get a little foolish here; after all, it's just a silly quiz! an Elvira stove!!

Alone!!!
9. What's the oldest thing in your kitchen? (You may not count yourself.)the walls!! It is a very old house!

10. Do you use recipes when you cook, or do you just sort of wing it?Wing it mostly..but I do use recipes too

11. When you eat out, do you analyze the dish to figure out if you could make it the same at home? Do you find it to be generally better than your cooking, the same, or worse? (Sorry, I know that's two questions, but I figure you can handle it.)
Yep...I do better with basic stuff..but I can't beat good chinese or Japanese food
12. How do you develop your menu ideas? Based on what's on sale at the store? On what's in your pantry? On what's coming out of the garden?All of these!
13. When's the last time you made something and realized that it would have been better to just go call a pizza?

14. What kinds of foods do you really enjoy making?Mexican foods

Chinese or Japanese
And a Bonus Question:

YES

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  11:01:42 AM  Show Profile
1. What's for supper tonight? FROZEN LEFTOVER VEGETARIAN CHILI

2. Can you remember what you made for supper exactly one week ago? NO

3. What's one truly indespensable piece of equipment in you kitchen? MY SOUP POT, USE IT FOR EVERYTHING

4. Do you have a signature dish (one you're known for)? VEGETABLE PIE

5. What's one food item you'll NEVER serve? MEAT

6. Do you cook with wine? YES

7. What's a kitchen item you wish Santa would just sort of leave on your porch for you? It's okay to get a little foolish here; after all, it's just a silly quiz! I HAVE MORE TOOLS THAN I NEED AND I NEVER USE THEM!

8. Do you prefer to cook alone, or in a team situation? ALONE

9. What's the oldest thing in your kitchen? (You may not count yourself.) BETTY CROCKER COOKBOOK MY GRAMA GAVE TO MY MOM

10. Do you use recipes when you cook, or do you just sort of wing it? BOTH, RECIPES THE FIRST TIME I MAKE SOMETHING, THEN WING IT AFTER THAT

11. When you eat out, do you analyze the dish to figure out if you could make it the same at home? Do you find it to be generally better than your cooking, the same, or worse? (Sorry, I know that's two questions, but I figure you can handle it.) YES; THE SAME, SOMETIMES WORSE!

12. How do you develop your menu ideas? Based on what's on sale at the store? On what's in your pantry? On what's coming out of the garden? BASED ON OUR CSA VEGGIES THAT WE'VE BEEN GETTING EACH WEEK FROM THE FARM, AFTER THE SHIPMENTS STOP THIS FALL IT'LL BE BASED ON WHATEVER I FEEL LIKE WHEN I HIT THE PRODUCE SECTION AT THE CO-OP

13. When's the last time you made something and realized that it would have been better to just go call a pizza? I CAN'T REMEMBER, I LOVE COOKING AND MY HUSBAND LOVES EATING ANYTHING I MAKE - HE'S SUPER FRUGAL AND IS ALWAYS SURE TO EAT ALL LEFTOVERS TOO - WE GENERALLY DON'T GET PIZZA

14. What kinds of foods do you really enjoy making? SOUPS!

15. What type of cuisine is your favorite? "AMERICAN BISTRO" - VEGETARIAN

And a Bonus Question:

Are you tired of all that zucchini yet? NO WAY, BRING IT ON!

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bybiddie
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

susan
upstate ny
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  11:34:44 AM  Show Profile
1. What's for supper tonight? I have no idea!

2. Can you remember what you made for supper exactly one week ago? It had something to do with vegetables....

3. What's one truly indespensable piece of equipment in you kitchen? My fuzzy logic rice steamer - LOVE it!

4. Do you have a signature dish (one you're known for)? My scones.

5. What's one food item you'll NEVER serve? Sea cucumber.

6. Do you cook with wine? Absolutely.

7. What's a kitchen item you wish Santa would just sort of leave on your porch for you? It's okay to get a little foolish here; after all, it's just a silly quiz! An entire set of All Clad cookware - dream on!

8. Do you prefer to cook alone, or in a team situation? I love to cook with my sister - we are an awesome team.

9. What's the oldest thing in your kitchen? (You may not count yourself.) Shucks, besides me, there's my great-uncle's grandmother's coffee grinder. I have dragged it all over the country!

10. Do you use recipes when you cook, or do you just sort of wing it? Both.

11. When you eat out, do you analyze the dish to figure out if you could make it the same at home? Do you find it to be generally better than your cooking, the same, or worse? (Sorry, I know that's two questions, but I figure you can handle it.) I definitely analyze. And most of the time the cheapster in me figures I could make it and make it at a quarter of the price!

12. How do you develop your menu ideas? Based on what's on sale at the store? On what's in your pantry? On what's coming out of the garden? All of the above.

13. When's the last time you made something and realized that it would have been better to just go call a pizza? When I decided to tackle duck potage - basically, duck soup that took three days and countless steps. But it was still duck soup...

14. What kinds of foods do you really enjoy making? I love to bake bread.

15. What type of cuisine is your favorite? Probably Indian - I love curry.

And a Bonus Question:

Are you tired of all that zucchini yet? NO! I only rescued one puny zucchini from my garden this year I am DYING for zucchini!

Lovin' my life
Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  11:39:17 AM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
. What's for supper tonight?
Fryed Moose Tenderloin

Ok that is strange Fryed Moose Backstrap.

My Tea Kettle

Tatertot Hotdish

Squash

Yes and sometimes it even makes it into the food.

7. What's a kitchen item you wish Santa would just sort of leave on your porch for you? It's okay to get a little foolish here; after all, it's just a silly quiz!
I wish he would leave a plummer to plum my house for water and leave a dishwasher.

8. Do you prefer to cook alone, or in a team situation? Alone

9. What's the oldest thing in your kitchen? (You may not count yourself.)My castiron Skillet from my grandma

10. Do you use recipes when you cook, or do you just sort of wing it? I looks at recipes and then wing it and add more stuff to it.

11. When you eat out, do you analyze the dish to figure out if you could make it the same at home? Do you find it to be generally better than your cooking, the same, or worse? (Sorry, I know that's two questions, but I figure you can handle it.)Nope i just eat it. I think it is better becasue i don't have to clean up the kitchen after words.

12. How do you develop your menu ideas? Based on what's on sale at the store? On what's in your pantry? On what's coming out of the garden? Menu what Menu I wing that to.

13. When's the last time you made something and realized that it would have been better to just go call a pizza? I don't remember

14. What kinds of foods do you really enjoy making? Stew

15. What type of cuisine is your favorite? Stew

And a Bonus Question:

Are you tired of all that zucchini yet? What Zucchini?

There ya go!

Valerie
Yes, I live in my own little world. But that's ok they know me here.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  12:39:36 PM  Show Profile
Ok Tasha and Susan, you win...I'd cook parsnips before I'd cook a tongue or a sea cucumber. Lordy those are gross! I'm laughing here just imagining the reactions if I were to put a tongue in a pot on the stove. And have you ever seen a sea cucumber up close?? Ewwwww...
Di
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  1:00:47 PM  Show Profile
1. What's for supper tonight? It's Friday "Cook-Your-Own-Night"

Everyone made their own and I had poached eggs.

My Pampered Chef chopper

4. Do you have a signature dish (one you're known for)? I guess Eggplant Parmegiana

5. What's one food item you'll NEVER serve? Liver and Onions

6. Do you cook with wine? No

7. What's a kitchen item you wish Santa would just sort of leave on your porch for you? It's okay to get a little foolish here; after all, it's just a silly quiz! A cobalt blue Kitchen Aid stand mixer

8. Do you prefer to cook alone, or in a team situation? Alone. I know, I shoud like to have my family with me when I cook, but....

9. What's the oldest thing in your kitchen? (You may not count yourself.) My great-grandmother's doughnut cutter

I do both.

11. When you eat out, do you analyze the dish to figure out if you could make it the same at home? Do you find it to be generally better than your cooking, the same, or worse? (Sorry, I know that's two questions, but I figure you can handle it.) No, I just enjoy the fact that I am eating something I didn't have to cook! Part deux- In my case, imitation is not the sincerest form of flattery- it's better left to the chef!!

12. How do you develop your menu ideas? Based on what's on sale at the store? On what's in your pantry? On what's coming out of the garden? On the fly.

13. When's the last time you made something and realized that it would have been better to just go call a pizza? Wednesday night. Let's just put it this way- it was a conglomeration of leftovers that were better left alone. Blecch.

14. What kinds of foods do you really enjoy making? Homey comfort foods

15. What type of cuisine is your favorite? Italian

And a Bonus Question:

Are you tired of all that zucchini yet? I didn't grow any this year so I am grateful for any that I get.
Go to Top of Page

~Tracey~
True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  3:04:29 PM  Show Profile
1. What's for supper tonight? Was working on a great Fall meal with wheatberries and apples but couldn't come up with anything so my 13yo made his own cheese tortilla pizzas.

Nope but could have been veggie burgers

My flat griddle

4. Do you have a signature dish (one you're known for)? Chilis and soups

5. What's one food item you'll NEVER serve? MEAT

6. Do you cook with wine? not often because it is not in the house but sometimes with dh's homebrew.

7. What's a kitchen item you wish Santa would just sort of leave on your porch for you? Kitchen Aid Mixer!!

8. Do you prefer to cook alone, or in a team situation? Alone if I am i a hurry, with the whole gang if dh is around to help with the littles.

9. What's the oldest thing in your kitchen? (You may not count yourself.) My cast iron skillet

I do both.

11. When you eat out, do you analyze the dish to figure out if you could make it the same at home? Do you find it to be generally better than your cooking, the same, or worse? (Sorry, I know that's two questions, but I figure you can handle it.) I always try to copy something good. I can usually make it the same or better.

12. How do you develop your menu ideas? Based on what's on sale at the store? On what's in your pantry? On what's coming out of the garden? Always with what is on hand and what I am in the mood for!!

13. When's the last time you made something and realized that it would have been better to just go call a pizza? Tonight but we already had pizza this week before a football game so I am stuck with leftovers and apples.

14. What kinds of foods do you really enjoy making? Gourmet vegetarian!!

15. What type of cuisine is your favorite? Mexi/Italian?Asian, do I HAVE to pick?

And a Bonus Question:

Are you tired of all that zucchini yet? I couldn't grow any this year and no one has offered any up so I have gotten a few at the grocery. Not too bad but not that great either.
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  6:20:23 PM  Show Profile
Fun questions Mary Ann!

1. What's for supper tonight? Subway, LOL

2. Can you remember what you made for supper exactly one week ago? Pork Chops, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, green beans & rolls.

3. What's one truly indespensable piece of equipment in you kitchen? The coffee pot!

4. Do you have a signature dish (one you're known for)? Homemade Mac & Cheese

5. What's one food item you'll NEVER serve? Okra

6. Do you cook with wine? Yup.

7. What's a kitchen item you wish Santa would just sort of leave on your porch for you? It's okay to get a little foolish here; after all, it's just a silly quiz! A pasta maker.

8. Do you prefer to cook alone, or in a team situation? Alone!

9. What's the oldest thing in your kitchen? (You may not count yourself.) Hmm... a stoneware rolling pin that belonged to my Great Great Grandmother (Lucinda Bebe Jacobs) comes to mind. The handles have been missing since before my gram could remember.

10. Do you use recipes when you cook, or do you just sort of wing it? Both. I often cook without a recipe though, especially when I make soups or sauces.

11. When you eat out, do you analyze the dish to figure out if you could make it the same at home? Do you find it to be generally better than your cooking, the same, or worse? (Sorry, I know that's two questions, but I figure you can handle it.) Most resturants can't hold a candle to me! LOL Cocky, but true. My sister did have a resturaunt and SHE could put me to shame! It helps to have a sis who is the chef...you just ask straight out for the recipe!

12. How do you develop your menu ideas? Based on what's on sale at the store? On what's in your pantry? On what's coming out of the garden? All of the above, plus add "whim" to the mix.

13. When's the last time you made something and realized that it would have been better to just go call a pizza? Hmm...not recently.

14. What kinds of foods do you really enjoy making? I love to bake. I love making soup. I'm a down home cook mostly.

15. What type of cuisine is your favorite? Chinese
And a Bonus Question:

Are you tired of all that zucchini yet? Never!

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!

Edited by - abbasgurl on Sep 22 2006 6:25:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

flowerchild
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Erica
Oregon
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  10:54:52 PM  Show Profile  Send flowerchild an AOL message
1. What's for supper tonight? Cornish game hens, steamed broccoli, herb & parmesan whole wheat rolls, and rosemary roasted baby potatoes (having people over for dinner- not the normal meal)

2. Can you remember what you made for supper exactly one week ago? I can't remember what I had for dinner last night- let alone last week =/

3. What's one truly indespensable piece of equipment in you kitchen? My Kitchen Aid mixer.

4. Do you have a signature dish (one you're known for)? Hmm..Lasagne I guess, but I rarely make it anymore.

5. What's one food item you'll NEVER serve? Liver.

6. Do you cook with wine? Yes.

7. What's a kitchen item you wish Santa would just sort of leave on your porch for you? It's okay to get a little foolish here; after all, it's just a silly quiz! A real or replica (from Lehman's) wood burning cookstove. And the cabin on acerage to put it in..=)

8. Do you prefer to cook alone, or in a team situation? Alone.

9. What's the oldest thing in your kitchen? (You may not count yourself.) The stove and dishwasher.

10. Do you use recipes when you cook, or do you just sort of wing it? Most the time wing it. With new recipes, I read them to get the basic idea then adjust and do them how I want.

11. When you eat out, do you analyze the dish to figure out if you could make it the same at home? Do you find it to be generally better than your cooking, the same, or worse? (Sorry, I know that's two questions, but I figure you can handle it.) If I like it I analyze it, mostly I find it to be worse because no matter what it is it seems too greasy, too salty, or too tasteless (no herbs)

12. How do you develop your menu ideas? Based on what's on sale at the store? On what's in your pantry? On what's coming out of the garden? All of the above!

13. When's the last time you made something and realized that it would have been better to just go call a pizza? Oh, that would be what my family lovingly...or is it laughingly..=p call "The Wisconsin Meatloaf". When we used to live in Wisconsin, we were down to a pretty low amount of money one time and so I tried to stretch 1 lb of hamburger by adding eggs and bread (well more than any normal human would have) and I added ketchup and tried to make it into something of a meatloaf, cooked it, and served it, and my husband took one bite and said "honey, I love you, but I absolutely cannot eat this...what is this??!" Of course I cried, felt like I was starving my family, then we all laughed and I think we had cereal. They still laugh at me now when I tell them we are having meatloaf- they are like..oh no- its not Wisconsin Meatloaf is it? =p

14. What kinds of foods do you really enjoy making? Anything people like and will eat. I love to feed people.

15. What type of cuisine is your favorite? Anything spicy, which I never get because dh hates anything resembling taste..haha, no really, he hates spicy so I don't make spicy food anymore.

And a Bonus Question:

Are you tired of all that zucchini yet? Never, I LOVE LOVE zucchini- could live solely on that if I had to!

=)

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2006 :  05:43:06 AM  Show Profile
MaryAnn .. how fun!!!

don't know yet .. might have Mexican .. son-in-love makes GREAT mexican dishes!!!

HA! i don't remember what i had for breakfast this morning .. and that was about half an hour ago!

probably our coffee-pot ... couldn't start my day at home without a fresh brewed cuppa' coffee with my honey-hunk out on one of the porches.

BURNT anything!

Gefilta Fish ... (i think i spelled that wrong .. but that's how it 'sounds') (and that includes any NASTY smelling, looking or tasting fish ... i DO NOT DO 'ORGAN' OF ANY CRITTER EITHER ... oh and LIMBERGER cheese!

oh my yes .. sometimes. (i avoid putting it on our cereal in the mornng) ... sometimes!

HANDSOME NAKED CHEF

BOTH ... depends on the meal/party/situation.

i think it might be that unidentifiable green, fuzzy thing in the far reaches of my fridge!
next to that .. i would have to say my KITCHEN COUNTERS and/or RAFTERS ... or WALL ...
kitchen counters are from an olde general store ... long gone .. from a store in southern Kentucky ...
RAFTERS are beams from an olde country barn long gone ...
one wall is the backside stone of the fireplace in the upper cabin ... built during the Civil War. (1863)

both

rarely analyze
someimes better .. sometimes worse .. depends upon the restaurant we are eating at.

12. How do you develop your menu ideas? Based on what's on sale at the store? On what's in your pantry? On what's coming out of the garden?
don't much pay attention to sales
i put in the pantry what we love .. so i use those
ALWAYS cook from the garden
"mostly" depends on the 'theme' of the meal a the basis for my menu

a couple nights ago .. i put on a HUGE crockpot full of meat and veggies ... LIFE HAPPENED .. and two nights later .. i decided mayhaps i had overcooked this mush .. we DID order PIZZA!!!

'theme' dishes for parties and gatherings

really depends ... i love mexican .. chinese .. fresh garden meals ... sometimes anything bar-b-qued .. a good FISH dish (from a good restaurant) .. for instance .. it is such a JOY to have a picnic table full of fresh CRABS and the hammers and picks and surrounded with friends on the dock by the bay! sometimes a good home-cooked (by someone else) COUNTRY buffet is yummy! i also like to go to good "indian" restaurants ... i think i don't have one particular favorite for sure.

And a Bonus Question:

NO .. i don't think i could tire of zucchini!!! so many recipes to use it in!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2006 :  07:55:54 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Chili
We ate at my uncle and aunts
Vita-mix
Stir Fry
cow liver
yes
a good fermenting crock
depends on the day
my grandparents Melmac "farmer" dishes...by the way, I am looking for the entire set.
wing it
lately, I don't eat out much...my cooking is so much better and healthier. but yes, if I like a dish I try to figure out what is in it and I am usualy very close
yes, yes, and yes
ages ago...but I have regreted not asking hubby to pick up Amy's Organic frozen pizza on his way home
any kind really, I love to cook
my own brand of healthy country comfort food
And a Bonus Question:

I do not believe I could ever get tired of zucchini. It has too many possabilities.

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2006 :  9:12:27 PM  Show Profile
1. What's for supper tonight? BURGERS

2. Can you remember what you made for supper exactly one week ago?PIZZA

3. What's one truly indespensable piece of equipment in you kitchen?KITCHEN AID MIXER

4. Do you have a signature dish (one you're known for)?PESTO PIZZA

5. What's one food item you'll NEVER serve?LIVER

6. Do you cook with wine?RARELY

COUNTER SPACE!!!!

8. Do you prefer to cook alone, or in a team situation? ALONE

9. What's the oldest thing in your kitchen? (You may not count yourself.)THE HOOSIER

10. Do you use recipes when you cook, or do you just sort of wing it?RECIPES MOSTLY, UNLESS I'M "CREATING"

11. When you eat out, do you analyze the dish to figure out if you could make it the same at home? Do you find it to be generally better than your cooking, the same, or worse? (Sorry, I know that's two questions, but I figure you can handle it.)SOMETIMES I'LL TRY TO FIGURE IT OUT.SOMETIMES IT'S BETTER, BUT SOMETIMES NOT...

12. How do you develop your menu ideas? Based on what's on sale at the store? On what's in your pantry? On what's coming out of the garden? ALL OF THE ABOVE

13. When's the last time you made something and realized that it would have been better to just go call a pizza? WHO CALLS FOR PIZZA????

14. What kinds of foods do you really enjoy making? BAKING BREADS AND SWEETS

15. What type of cuisine is your favorite? MEXICAN

And a Bonus Question:

Are you tired of all that zucchini yet? NO, BUT I COULD NOT SEE ANY TOMATOES FOR SIX MONTHS AND BE HAPPY!

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2006 :  9:22:42 PM  Show Profile
Sharon..I will trade you all the zuchinni you want..straight across for tomatoes!! I never tired of THEM!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2006 :  9:41:50 PM  Show Profile
1. Tonight's dinner: Roasted chicken, mashed potatoes, cran sauce and green beans.
2. Last week,I was sick...Take Out!
3. The fridge (I didn't have one for a week and boy did I miss it!)
4. Everyone likes my Lemon Chicken w/ Asparagus, red peppers.
5. Never will I serve beets( tastes like dirt!) OR liver (I'm with you Sharon!)
6. Do I cook with wine? Silly girls, you bet!
7. Santa could bring me a Viking 6 burner or a Sub Zero fridge! (I dream BIG!)Or one of those cute Elmira Stoveworks vintage ranges...
8.Cooking is fun with help but my kitchen is tiny, "help" is not always what occurs!
9. The oldest thing in my kitchen is...a wooden spoon that belonged to my great grandmother; one side flat, one round - made that way!
10. I use recipes for certain things but almost never when making dinner.
11. When I eat out I usually order something I wouldn't make and that
makes it a treat! My guys have asked me to copy a few things they like out and I have done that.
12. I cook like the restaurants: what is good, fresh and a good value with an occasional splurge!
13. When I made the strawberry peach jam batch that had the pectin clump up! What a waste of EXCELLENT peaches!
14. I am known as the Queen of Dessert!
15. My favorite cuisine is probably Italian (Tuscany region).
16. I am never tired of zucchini...weird, huh?

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  5:02:12 PM  Show Profile
I'm making one of those dinners now that you can assemble ahead and then go play. While I'm waiting on ingredients to cook, I thought I'd make a silly little quiz. There are no right or wrong answers; it's just for fun!

1. What's for supper tonight? Hash made with leftover roast from suday dinner.

Lasagne, garlic cheese bicuits and salad. (pan roasted zuccini and yellow squash for me)

I got a garlic roaster for christmas last year that I love. Most useful would be my cutting board and paring knife.

Meatloaf and eggplant parmesean

Raw Onions

Yes. When I can get it. We live in a "dry County"!

An stainless steele island with a sink a refrigerated drawers. Also a pots and pan rack above it. (would have to remodle to fit it but this is a dream right!)

I would love to team cook with hubby but kitchen is too small so usually i'm solo.

I collect antique kitchen tools and utensils to decorate my kitchen. I don't know how old some of them are. We do have a washboard that belonged to my hubbys great grandmother!

Both! I look at recipes but often change and adjust.

Some things are just better out (creamy spinach artichoke dip) but yes i anylize all the time. I even ask what ingredients are. Most places will tell you what but not how much. A few cooks have even given full recipes. I keep a notebook in purse to write down all my thoughts about recipes.

And a Bonus Question:

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  5:04:28 PM  Show Profile

1. What's for supper tonight? Hash made with leftover roast from suday dinner.

Lasagne, garlic cheese bicuits and salad. (pan roasted zuccini and yellow squash for me)

I got a garlic roaster for christmas last year that I love. Most useful would be my cutting board and paring knife.

Meatloaf and eggplant parmesean

Raw Onions

Yes. When I can get it. We live in a "dry County"!

An stainless steele island with a sink a refrigerated drawers. Also a pots and pan rack above it. (would have to remodle to fit it but this is a dream right!)

I would love to team cook with hubby but kitchen is too small so usually i'm solo.

I collect antique kitchen tools and utensils to decorate my kitchen. I don't know how old some of them are. We do have a washboard that belonged to my hubbys great grandmother!

Both! I look at recipes but often change and adjust.

Some things are just better out (creamy spinach artichoke dip) but yes i anylize all the time. I even ask what ingredients are. Most places will tell you what but not how much. A few cooks have even given full recipes. I keep a notebook in purse to write down all my thoughts about recipes.

Usually based on whats seasonal and what we have time for.

Don't know about better but sometime it sure would be easier. Except closest pizza place (or restaurant for that matter) is 30 miles away!

Anything! I lvoe food!

Italian and german!
And a Bonus Question:

Are you tired of all that zucchini yet? Nope! I love it!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  6:25:05 PM  Show Profile
1. What's for supper tonight? spaghetti

2. Can you remember what you made for supper exactly one week ago? nope

3. What's one truly indespensable piece of equipment in you kitchen? can opener

4. Do you have a signature dish (one you're known for)? yes, a trifle

5. What's one food item you'll NEVER serve? monkey brains

6. Do you cook with wine? yes, oh, you mean in the food, yes, that too! : P

7. What's a kitchen item you wish Santa would just sort of leave on your porch for you? It's okay to get a little foolish here; after all, it's just a silly quiz! a French Chef named Pierre

8. Do you prefer to cook alone, or in a team situation? the more the merrier

9. What's the oldest thing in your kitchen? (You may not count yourself.) no idea

10. Do you use recipes when you cook, or do you just sort of wing it? both

11. When you eat out, do you analyze the dish to figure out if you could make it the same at home? Do you find it to be generally better than your cooking, the same, or worse? (Sorry, I know that's two questions, but I figure you can handle it.) the stuff I eat out is better, which is why we eat out, if I can make it at home, we eat it at home

by looking at magazines, cookbooks or my recipe notes

13. When's the last time you made something and realized that it would have been better to just go call a pizza? usually it's the weeknights when I don't feel like cooking and we have cold cereal, which has happened maybe about 3 weeks ago

14. What kinds of foods do you really enjoy making? new recipes with funky ingredients, girl foods, casseroles (things my husband and children dislike)

15. What type of cuisine is your favorite? down-home country cookin'

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia, Nathanael

Edited by - _Rebecca_ on Sep 25 2006 6:35:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  6:39:55 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, the tomatoes will be in the next package...dried!
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  7:27:24 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Horseyrider

1. What's for supper tonight? Chips and salsa
2. Can you remember what you made for supper exactly one week ago? Heck no

3. What's one truly indespensable piece of equipment in you kitchen? Coffee maker

4. Do you have a signature dish (one you're known for)? Apple pie

5. What's one food item you'll NEVER serve? okra

6. Do you cook with wine? Oh, yes. Sometimes I even put it in the food! (just joking)

7. What's a kitchen item you wish Santa would just sort of leave on your porch for you? It's okay to get a little foolish here; after all, it's just a silly quiz! Commercial propane stove - but it would have to stay on the porch, no room inside!

8. Do you prefer to cook alone, or in a team situation? In a larger kitchen I would like help - in my kitchen, one cook is enough

9. What's the oldest thing in your kitchen? (You may not count yourself.) The antique cabbage slaw slicer

10. Do you use recipes when you cook, or do you just sort of wing it? mostly wing it. Use recipes for baking mostly

11. When you eat out, do you analyze the dish to figure out if you could make it the same at home? Do you find it to be generally better than your cooking, the same, or worse? (Sorry, I know that's two questions, but I figure you can handle it.) Not usually - I usually order steak or hamburger when we go out.

12. How do you develop your menu ideas? Based on what's on sale at the store? On what's in your pantry? On what's coming out of the garden? Usually what's in the garden

13. When's the last time you made something and realized that it would have been better to just go call a pizza? When wallpapering the kitchen

14. What kinds of foods do you really enjoy making? baking bread, it makes me feel like a real homemaker

15. What type of cuisine is your favorite? Ohio/Pennsylvania German/Dutch

And a Bonus Question:

Are you tired of all that zucchini yet? Ha! My zucchini failed this year! Go figure! I didn't get enough!

There ya go!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  10:52:39 PM  Show Profile
1. What's for supper tonight? Herbed chicken and Rice Casserole over toast

2. Can you remember what you made for supper exactly one week ago? Pot roast with potatoes

3. What's one truly indespensable piece of equipment in your kitchen? my knives

4. Do you have a signature dish (one you're known for)? italian or french baguettes toasted with cream cheese and homemade pesto

5. What's one food item you'll NEVER serve? probably tongue or brains

6. Do you cook with wine? Only my special Italian spaghetti sauces

7. What's a kitchen item you wish Santa would just sort of leave on your porch for you? It's okay to get a little foolish here; after all, it's just a silly quiz! A new kitchen... or a Kitchenaid

8. Do you prefer to cook alone, or in a team situation? Alone

9. What's the oldest thing in your kitchen? (You may not count yourself.) Either my grandmother's cake decorating kit or my MIL's pans or some of the cookbooks (I love old kitchen stuff.)

10. Do you use recipes when you cook, or do you just sort of wing it? I use recipes for the basics, then adjust them as I go.

11. When you eat out, do you analyze the dish to figure out if you could make it the same at home? Do you find it to be generally better than your cooking, the same, or worse? (Sorry, I know that's two questions, but I figure you can handle it.) Always try to figure it out. Esp. if it's really good. I am a great cook, so I'm prejudiced.

12. How do you develop your menu ideas? Based on what's on sale at the store? On what's in your pantry? On what's coming out of the garden? depends on my mood

13. When's the last time you made something and realized that it would have been better to just go call a pizza? probably the last time I made bread

14. What kinds of foods do you really enjoy making? homemade pastas, handmade greek food, anything from fresh produce

15. What type of cuisine is your favorite? Greek

And a Bonus Question:

Are you tired of all that zucchini yet? I NEVER get tired of zucchini!

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Kitchen Quiz.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page